Show your boat not sailing

This pic of mine already feels 'painterly'

IMG_2822.jpg

EvaOdland

I enjoy the morphing of this thread into impromptu art show (excellent work btw)...I too paint. Though I was more enthusiastic about it in years past. I go through spurts. the last time was a study of realistic oil painting techniques...(was mostly abstract back in the day...studied art throughout my academic era)

YES I KNOW! These are NOT pictures of sailboats NOT sailing...(but I have done some maritime works...so there is that)

Both of these are oil on MDF board. (Old phone pictures). Last bout of painting I had I did quite a few still life, a few portraits...and as mentioned some maritime themes.

The still life paintings were the strongest...I was inspired by several Flemish still life paintings in the Milwaukee Art Museum collection...

Screenshot from 2018-10-05 12-26-55.png

These were executed with under painting with glazing of multiple thin layers. Tedious technique... if you use a cobalt drying agent to hasten the speed of the glaze drying enough to work over you run the risk of cracking the film years layer later so I didn't use it....I haven't finished the the Coke crate trompe l'oeil. I ran into issue with the rags and sponges on the right rendering them accurately was beyond my skill level. I can do fruit,  glass, stone and metals,  but those sponges and folded rag...ugh...I wiped the last attempt off down to the under painting on the panel to the right.... left it for the next painting spurt, it has been over ten years now.  One of my art teacher years ago had us draw sponges..."These will really force you to see." he use to say.

I know I'll take up painting again. I don't know when though...

Screenshot from 2018-10-05 12-27-19.png

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Slight  thread drift - 'show-the-old-man ( or woman) and-the-sea'. Here is my father, ripping it up at 80. He drove grinning for hours. Couldn't pry him off the helm. 

View attachment 284592
You don’t stop sailing when you get old: you get old when you stop sailing. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
1968 S&S Classic 37.  Almost that time to park her for a few months and get going on the list I've come up with since splashing earlier in the year. 

IMAG1623.jpg

DDW

Super Anarchist
OK, in post #10 I showed my sailboat not sailing. Here is my powerboat not sailing. Anchored in Melanie Cove last night. This morning not a cloud in the sky and we remain the only boat in all of Melanie Cove or Prideaux Haven. In August you can walk from shore to shore in here and never touch the water. 

FhkgFHI.jpg

sunol

Motoring up the Petaluma river and at Pier 1 1/2 in downtown SF. For those in the area, the Petaluma river trip is a good one, but more of a motor than a sail.

image.png

image.png

IStream

Super Anarchist
OK, in post #10 I showed my sailboat not sailing. Here is my powerboat not sailing. Anchored in Melanie Cove last night. This morning not a cloud in the sky and we remain the only boat in all of Melanie Cove or Prideaux Haven. In August you can walk from shore to shore in here and never touch the water. 

I presume it's earth, wind, fire, water, and diesel.

DDW

Super Anarchist
The fifth element is Milla in an ideal world, diesel in this one. Though I really like the movie, the inspiration was the Aristotelian fifth element, which makes up that which could not be made from earth, wind, fire, and water. I guess that would include diesel. And Milla ("Multipass"). This thing burns about 1.9 gallons/hr at 7.1 knots. But it carries so much, I may have to stop for fuel towards the end of next year....

We moved to the other end of Prideaux Haven after taking a tour of Laura Cove. We are still the only boat in the whole complex.

DDW

Super Anarchist
I paid nothing for this fuel, which came with the boat. Or perhaps I paid a lot for fuel and got a boat with it. 

It varies a great deal in the US depending on the state, and is much higher typically in Canada. The diesel that came in the boat was purchased in Tennessee (a cheap state) at $2.87/gal last year when prices were higher. Current prices in Washington state are $2.90/gal for over 100 gallons. Near twice that in Canada I think, but I never buy fuel there!

At $2.90/gallon, my fill up will only cost $1160. In a few years I will need sails for the sailboat, probably about 25X that. 

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
'Not sailing' last weekend. Light to 0 winds overnight, the whole Fox Island Thoroughfare was a millpond. This was 5:30 am. The sun rising over Deer Isle on the far, eastern horizon. Didn't even feel a boat wake the whole time, because we didn't see another boat pass through. 

Cool late September morning, I kindled the first fire of the season.

Still not sailing as the sun began to dry the decks. 

Finally, just enough wind to sail slowly, home. 

Is it OK to envy and "Like" at the same time?