Show your boat not sailing

nebe

RI
I just bought this 1965 Columbia 65 CB31.   Cant post pictures of it sailing yet because I haven't sailed it yet.  It had been sort of abandoned for 5 years and I will spend the winter bringing the teak back to life... everything else seems good to go minus the batteries. It took me 7 hours to get that 5 year old tape off of the waterline. grrrr

CWhXNoFbTVGxrgDHj6j%BQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I just bought this 1965 Columbia 65 CB31.   Cant post pictures of it sailing yet because I haven't sailed it yet.  It had been sort of abandoned for 5 years and I will spend the winter bringing the teak back to life... everything else seems good to go minus the batteries. It took me 7 hours to get that 5 year old tape off of the waterline. grrrr

View attachment 286270
Another Good Old Boat picked up for an adventure. :)

Now I know that manufacturers changed things up during production runs but this boat has 2 large cabin windows the the drawings I'm seeing, show only one large window.  Your boat is pre-HIN, so we can't check its pedigree that way.

Is it possible that you have a Columbia 29?

Here's the 31:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-31

Here's the 29:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-29 

Read the notes at the bottom about the '29 getting a more streamlined coach roof in '65.

Nice boat in any case. You can put some decent solar power on that arch.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA

View attachment 286270
Nice boat! Too late to help you, but most baked-on masking tapes will reactivate if you warm them with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. Might leave some residue (which mineral spirits/WD-40 will remove in two shakes), but at least the crepe pulls off in a reasonable number of pieces.

nebe

RI
Nice boat! Too late to help you, but most baked-on masking tapes will reactivate if you warm them with a hair dryer or heat gun on low. Might leave some residue (which mineral spirits/WD-40 will remove in two shakes), but at least the crepe pulls off in a reasonable number of pieces.
that is exactly what I did.. but IT TOOK 7  HOURS. ugggggg........

Another Good Old Boat picked up for an adventure. :)

Now I know that manufacturers changed things up during production runs but this boat has 2 large cabin windows the the drawings I'm seeing, show only one large window.  Your boat is pre-HIN, so we can't check its pedigree that way.

Is it possible that you have a Columbia 29?

Here's the 31:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-31

Here's the 29:  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-29 

Read the notes at the bottom about the '29 getting a more streamlined coach roof in '65.

Nice boat in any case. You can put some decent solar power on that arch.
about 20 years ago my friends restored this boat down to the bare hull and heavily modified it, then cruised the keys, the Bahamas and all the way to Maine and in-between for 10 years until they sold it. They are super excited that a friend found her and will bring her back to life.  The coach roof port lights were modified to what you see now. Im considering ditching the teak trim and having some polished stainless ones fabricated and will replace the lexan.   Its a Columbia 31 hull number 5.    The solar is there... the panels were stored inside thankfully.   

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I sincerely try to maintain a positive opinion of everyone, not just here but all of those in my life. It would aid me in this endeavor if you could keep opinions such as this, which I cannot help but take personally, in PA where I will not see them.  
I was talking about the big gas company flaks - Chevron, Esso etc.

They lie like Trump - every gas station in Greater Vancouver changes their prices the exact same amount at the exact same time - every time.

But there's no collusion.

That sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
No, it was compliments of a late-season tropical storm (Noel). Fortunately she found the few square feet of sand immediately in front of those rocks. A couple of high tides and some serious kedging and she was afloat again with little damage, except to my pride. The second picture was a couple of years later, anchored in a completely perfect little pool with a narrow entrance about 300 yards long and barely wider than the boat.

View attachment 286028
Looks like you could roost in there. 

You seem like a charming rogue. We should try to meet up sometime.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
... every gas station in Greater Vancouver changes their prices the exact same amount at the exact same time - every time.

But there's no collusion.
Its the same 'price fixing' in Halifax but that is because the Nova Scotia government regulates the maximum price weekly. And I am glad they do. Our prices are generally lower than yours. I suspect that your paranoia about high prices from collusion by big oil is in fact caused by the all the hate generated by tree-huggers who drive their cars to anti-pipeline rallies and want to prohibit fossil fuels without being prepared to revert to their great-grandparents' lifestyle. But maybe I'm wrong.

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
I'm enjoying a strange feeling, writing up the log and editing phots from the summer, while at anchor on a slightly drek day.

I just found this one, a celebration of summer's long Golden Hours

greatmans bay 2.jpg

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina

View attachment 286270

Who's ready for a winter restoration thread besides me?? 

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
You ain't seen nothing yet Ed.

Waterlogue - Copy (2).jpg

Foxy Callwood sucking down a Red Stripe a Carriacou Race Week. I'm thinking of doing some prints on some beautiful heavy watercolor paper that I bought years ago at a railroad salvage place. My Epson Artisan 1430 printer should do a great job with these color and wil print at up to 19" x 13". I know, buy a ad!