Show your boat not sailing

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Ra Ra Rasputin! That 's gorgeous. I'm nicking that one straight off . . .

Many thanks

E
Ed,

Your unabashed praise led me to further tinkering with that watercolorish image this time in Photoshop which has more tools a tweaks available and I cropped it some to center the boat in the image better. What do you think?

Sunset-Ketch-Crop.jpg

There was a fender hanging on the aft port quarter that bothered me so I took that out too.

I see now that I could level the horizon a bit. I've gotten a bit rusty in PS since I used to do this sort of thing for a living. 

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Lovely. I regret that it’s only an ipony photo, for I can’t properly make out Mrs Ed hiding behind that towel. 

Thanks

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Well, Rogue's Roost is about 20 miles from the hidey-hole I was pictured in...why not meet there? PM me the next time you are headed up to Nova Scotia and we'll make it happen. I'll bring the rum...

When I visited the Roost it was, sadly, a holiday weekend. Crowded, noisy, disappointing. In August I tried to get a 67' motorboat up the St. Mary's River to Sherbrooke. Didn't quite make it, but had an adventure. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Ed,

Your unabashed praise led me to further tinkering with that watercolorish image this time in Photoshop which has more tools a tweaks available and I cropped it some to center the boat in the image better. What do you think?

View attachment 286453

There was a fender hanging on the aft port quarter that bothered me so I took that out too.

I see now that I could level the horizon a bit. I've gotten a bit rusty in PS since I used to do this sort of thing for a living. 
I like that one better but it's maybe just a tad too photorealistic.

Mine, most assuredly not sailing. Fan and BBQ now removed. More extraneous junk still to be chopped. Are those MOB markers worth keeping? would love to lose it. Anyway, once I take up full-time SH the question answers itself.

ReefScarer.jpg

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Very handsome. MOB markers tend to be inflatable things these days that take up no space. 

Thanks Mr. Ed. She's fifty years old this year. Will look into alternative MOB markers, and grind off the annoying horseshoe holders (You probably can't see them in that lo-res photo). Lifesling looks like a better plan. Pelagic AP installation underway.

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
We did our easter fit out at Donovan's, just next to Hegartys. What a great place - not many yards have their own castle!

hegartys1.jpg

hegartys5 copy.jpg

hegartys 2.jpg

hegartys6 copy.jpg

hegartys7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zora

Cork
We did our easter fit out at Donovan's, just next to Hegartys. What a great place - not many yards have their own castle!

View attachment 286460

View attachment 286461

View attachment 286462
Nice one! What boat is she? I bought the steel boat that was sitting in Hegartys for a number of years, just in front of Síle a Do in the second photo. My boat was burnt in 1998 and hadn't left Baltimore since, last month was her first sail since then. 

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
Hegarty's couldn't take us - he had a fishing boat on his slipway, so Donal Donovan looked after us very well. How wonderful to know that some boats do get out of Hegartys alive! It has the demeanour of a boat's graveyard somewhat - a lot of broken dreams there. 

Zora

Cork
Hegarty's couldn't take us - he had a fishing boat on his slipway, so Donal Donovan looked after us very well. How wonderful to know that some boats do get out of Hegartys alive! It has the demeanour of a boat's graveyard somewhat - a lot of broken dreams there. 
Alot of dreams being fulfilled too :) the Ilen was rebuilt there, Saoirse is getting her ribs now. The Síle a do was built in the shed next to me too. It does look messy but there are some real treasures in there too, and some incredible Craftsmen to boot! The place to be for wooden boaters! 

Jabber

Its the same 'price fixing' in Halifax but that is because the Nova Scotia government regulates the maximum price weekly. And I am glad they do. Our prices are generally lower than yours. I suspect that your paranoia about high prices from collusion by big oil is in fact caused by the all the hate generated by tree-huggers who drive their cars to anti-pipeline rallies and want to prohibit fossil fuels without being prepared to revert to their great-grandparents' lifestyle. But maybe I'm wrong.
Nope, big oil has been playing this game long before the Kinder Morgan expansion came along.

You can call us three huggers all you want....Kinder Morgan is right in my back yard, and across the inlets from my local waterfront park.  I am ok with it as it stands. I can live with the level of tanker traffic we have now...but I dont want to see that traffic quadrupled. We treasure our natural environment, and it is a huge part of our economy. Alberta wants us to put all of that at risk so that they can make more money selling their dirty low grade oil to China. There is very little in it for us, but a spill will devastate our economy, and ruin my local area for generations.

Kinder Morgan has a huge area of water boomed off with barbed wire fences on it where the expansion is taking place, and they send boats out to harass sailors that they think are getting too close to it...that goes over well too!

And yes, I like all our trees too!

olaf hart

Super Anarchist
We drove past Hegartys a couple of times this July, I was tempted to stop but we had already exhausted our amazement quota for the day.

Baltimore is beautiful, we walked out to the eastern headland and the stone marker tower, wow!

97D5C430-8780-4DA8-8EF4-DA6417E6AE46.jpeg

9EB104D8-1B90-4E1D-BAB7-A2269F08896B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts