Show your boat sailing thread

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
D90C766C-3661-4043-B5A4-64404539AD41.jpeg
937651ED-77FF-4182-B59F-535EDAE40E9F.jpeg
5CBCC7B9-584D-4813-9C3A-B7F7D51F1954.jpeg
29DE8B9C-8A70-4EE1-8431-FE422E1058FC.jpeg

Figured I’d add these from the main forum. 1958 Vitesse 40 (Block Island 40) (modified)

Last edited:

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
Good boats. I was aboard a couple of the early ones and then one of the last, built by Mercator, I think. The gent who had Bolero built and whose home is now the NYYC in Newport had one.
It was American Boatbuilding/Beetle Boat Co, then Metalmast, then Migrator. Big differences between each generation.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
OK, Migrator, guy named Eric? Nice guy, we spent a lot of time checking out details on each other's boats in Bermuda, about 10 years ago.

My first sailboat was a Beetle cat. Turns out that, after girls, sailing school was the most expensive experience of my life.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Good boats. I was aboard a couple of the early ones and then one of the last, built by Mercator, I think. The gent who had Bolero built and whose home is now the NYYC in Newport had one.
One of the American Boatbuilding BI-40s, built in 1958, was owned by a CCA past commodore for more than 30 years (as long as I knew him). He died earlier this year, and his boat has been on the market. Not sure if it ended up sold or donated. I believe the boat went Transatlantic several times.

Not fancy, but solid.

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
OK, Migrator, guy named Eric? Nice guy, we spent a lot of time checking out details on each other's boats in Bermuda, about 10 years ago.

My first sailboat was a Beetle cat. Turns out that, after girls, sailing school was the most expensive experience of my life.
Yeah Eric Woods.

One of the American Boatbuilding BI-40s, built in 1958, was owned by a CCA past commodore for more than 30 years (as long as I knew him). He died earlier this year, and his boat has been on the market. Not sure if it ended up sold or donated. I believe the boat went Transatlantic several times.

Not fancy, but solid.
Was it Seal? She’s for sale.

A brief history of the BI40 I put together based on a lot of contemporary reviews and advertisements: https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/threads/a-history-of-the-block-island-40.239588/

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
Saw you guys out yesterday, you were sailing upwind out of the Severn SE of Greenbury Pt. You guys were overpowered and had a good chunk of the main backwinded. Do you guys reef the main?
That wasn’t me; I was with my dad on his J/28. That was the actual owner of the boat out short handed.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
This thread should stay on the main page. Here's a repeat.

This is not my boat but is a sister ship built in 1960. I watched it sail into my anchorage a few years back. Then it delighted me by sailing into a small cove off the anchorage.

For the rare boats sailing into Pulpit Harbor, there is a bar dead ahead forcing a quick tack.

ECHO sailing into Cabot Cove.jpg

Owned continually by the same family, ECHO has been moored in a little cove off Pulpit Harbor since 1960.

ECHO sailing into Cabot Cove - lining up._.jpg

I've only seen one other boat sail into Cabot Cove (that was me).

ECHO quietly sliced the narrow channel in half and disappeared inside.

ECHO sailing into Cabot Cove - in the cut._.jpg

eliboat

Super Anarchist
This thread should stay on the main page. Here's a repeat.

This is not my boat but is a sister ship built in 1960. I watched it sail into my anchorage a few years back. Then it delighted me by sailing into a small cove off the anchorage.

For the rare boats sailing into Pulpit Harbor, there is a bar dead ahead forcing a quick tack.

View attachment 556690

Owned continually by the same family, ECHO has been moored in a little cove off Pulpit Harbor since 1960.

View attachment 556692

I've only seen one other boat sail into Cabot Cove (that was me).

ECHO quietly sliced the narrow channel in half and disappeared inside.

View attachment 556693
I’ve sailed into Cabot cove at sunset while a packed pulpit harbor watched. That was on my friend’s little Cape Dory 28.