Showtime capsize on return trip

on facebook , Adventure of a Sailor Girl has reported that Showtime's crew, a Ker 40,  had to be rescued... 

Drama overnight. At around 2:30am Showtime set off it's Epirb off the NSW coast on way back from Hobart . It is believed that the keel broke away and the boat overturned. All crew were able to make it out and launch the life raft. Now all safe in police boat on way to Port Kembla. Well done to Rob Buchanan and crew for handling such a dangerous situation so well. And thanks to Marine Rescue who responded immediately and professionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
The keel? There are strict regulations on the materials these can be made of.  Cardboards right out. No cardboard derivatives.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
To the bottom like a proverbial stone me thinks.  Must be some salvage value if anyone is interested though.  WTF, keel fell off and the bow stayed attached??

Jason Ker

Sad to see one of our designs lost, and relieved that crew are all ok.  I should clarify However that that particular keel was not designed by us or built by McConaghy,  Apparently there were lower cost alternatives locally which were chosen.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Sad to see one of our designs lost, and relieved that crew are all ok.  I should clarify However that that particular keel was not designed by us or built by McConaghy,  Apparently there were lower cost alternatives locally which were chosen.
Jason, you must have noticed this is a very serious thread, and there is also a special thread for deniers.

Tell us, did any of your designs ever lose a keel? I seem to remember something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
on facebook , Adventure of a Sailor Girl has reported that Showtime's crew, a Ker 40,  had to be rescued... 
The original post came from one of the owners. All crew are safe and back home. We picked them up Earlier this afternoon at port Kembla thanks to the great crew from the water police boat that picked them up at around 530am and brought them back up the coast