Showtime capsize on return trip

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Yep. Sorry about that. Keel design and engineering was done by Andy Dovell. 
Not a "lower cost" designer as such, I would think. Trust he will come along here when he knows more after inspection of the hull.

And Rumpig, thanks for assisting the undoubtedly shaken crew, and do keep posting here please, the full story if you can!

Not a "lower cost" designer as such, I would think. Trust he will come along here when he knows more after inspection of the hull.

And Rumpig, thanks for assisting the undoubtedly shaken crew, and do keep posting here please, the full story if you can!
Full story not my place. When the owner is ready I’m sure he will

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Ker

Jason, you must have noticed this is a very serious thread, and there is also a special thread for deniers.

Tell us, did any of your designs ever lose a keel? I seem to remember something like that.
We've designed many keels and not lost one. Our reputation is important to us, and in all other cases of keel replacement that I know of for our designs, we've done the designs and it would be natural for people to assume that was the case here if I didn't state the facts.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
We've designed many keels and not lost one. Our reputation is important to us, and in all other cases of keel replacement that I know of for our designs, we've done the designs and it would be natural for people to assume that was the case here if I didn't state the facts.
I got to believe you. This must be a typo then: 

image.png www.worldsailingywc.org › ...PDF
Oceanic / Offshore Race Incidents from September 2007- August 2008
...  Ker 55 - Keel Failure During Race Training.

No further details given, you might want to take this up with World Sailing. (In fact it seems that was a ...... Juan K.)  :)

I don’t remember Ker boats being associated with losing keels, at least, not in Juan K style anyway. 
Now you mention a repeat offender of repute, must be the top scorer !

Though there are quite a few other top designers who lost keels, and it nearly always ends with blaming the builder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Ker

View attachment 339953 www.worldsailingywc.org › ...PDF

No further details given, you might want to take this up with World Sailing. (In fact it seems that was a ...... Juan K.)  :)

Though there are quite a few other top designers who lost keels, and it nearly always ends with blaming the builder.
Wow... Huge typo never knew that was out there, will ask them to correct it, thanks for pointing out.

mad

Super Anarchist

Well it does seem that Jason is wrongly associated with the Bounder incident  ;)

Swanno

Super Anarchist
Sad to see one of our designs lost, and relieved that crew are all ok.  I should clarify However that that particular keel was not designed by us or built by McConaghy,  Apparently there were lower cost alternatives locally which were chosen.
The way you wash your hands of the problem makes me think you are actually the Australian PM with a sock puppet account.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Thanks for the link Fiji.

Not surprised to see the Cape Fear 38 keel loss in that report. Lots of lessons to be learned there...

Jason Ker

I’m guessing there’s a story to this waiting to come out judging by a few of the comments!? 
Certainly when someone modifies our design without our involvement it ceases to be our problem technically, but it remains important to make sure people are aware of that as our name is in on the boat.  Put simply 100% of our keel designs have remained attached to their boats, 100% of keels designed by others for our boats have not.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
The way you wash your hands of the problem makes me think you are actually the Australian PM with a sock puppet account.
If a keel I hadn’t designed was attached to a boat with my name on, I’d get the word out as well!  He designed the structure for one particular keel, not the one that gave up. 

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Put simply 100% of our keel designs have remained attached to their boats, 100% of keels designed by others for our boats have not.
Sorry mate, but that does not make any sense, think about it. Put rather simply indeed.

I know you put more logic in your designs!

Osprey05

Annapolis
Sorry mate, but that does not make any sense, think about it. Put rather simply indeed.

I know you put more logic in your designs!
lol ... of course he means "less than 100% of keels designed by others for our boats have remained attached," unless in fact 100% of other designs have actually fallen off.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
lol ... of course he means "less than 100% of keels designed by others for our boats have remained attached," unless in fact 100% of other designs have actually fallen off.
Yea lol, that's not what I meant though...

I was objecting to the kind of politician's logic.

Jason Ker

How many other Ker designs have keels not designed by Ker? 

I don't know, 

but if it's none, then it seems he's absolutely correct.
As far as I'm aware this was the only example of a Ker design with a keel not designed by us.  Allegedly we were overpriced.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I don't think I'd want to go forward on a design contract in that situation.
someone commissioned a competition build from an upper-tier designer and upper-tier builder.... and then said "but, hey, I want to see if I can save a few pennies by having someone else design/build the keel"....?

Boggles the mind.