Single handed Training boat

MauganTornado

Super Anarchist
I'll be relocating to Orlando this summer and probably living within walking distance of one of the moderate-sized lakes down there. The one we're looking at in particular has a couple of hobie's on the lake, JY's and FJ's and Sunfish. By no means is it anywhere near the size of a Lake Lanier or Jordan or something like that.

However, it would be a perfect size pond for a training boat. It would be way too small for a Nacra 20, but I could put an A-cat, or maybe a WETA on there and have a good training boat. What I need to know is what type of singlehanded boat that is around the $10k range used or new that would satisfy my requirements. It can't be something that wouldn't have any impact on the skills needed to sail the N20.

I'm 6'6" and 240lbs so keep that in mind when making recommendations :)

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
You all ready know the answer. The same one everyone else is using to get better on the 20.

A

mr_ryano

Super Anarchist
The weta fits your price point and it will be easy to get a boat to Orlando. An A cat or a singlehand skiff would be better performance trainers, but $$ and availability may be an issue

MauganTornado

Super Anarchist
You all ready know the answer. The same one everyone else is using to get better on the 20.

A

Todd,

I sailed Bailey's Mk IV and when I was sailing it, I came within 1/5ths of a second of being flipped over backwards by a following quarter motorboat wake.

I need to find an A that has enough umf to keep fat boy afloat ... and I'm not sure that one can be found in that price point I gave.

H16's rig is a bit too different than the 20... but I'll keep it in mind. I like the F16 but I think the price point will keep me away from that.

cfarrah

Anarchist
FL
Weta...hands down. Won't find an A for that price point, and they are so fast you'll run out of lake quickly. The rhythm of trimming 3 sails is a good test, she's got a helm that is as responsive as anything you've mentioned (except maybe the A), and it will handle your weight no problem.

The only downside vs. your cat is that it has no traps, so you'll have no real practice other than hiking out.

C.

Tony-F18

Super Anarchist
+31
What about a cheap used Nacra F18 or Tiger? With your weight you should have no problems keeping it upright.

On small lakes the wind can be light as well so it might not hurt having some more area.

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist

A

Todd,

I sailed Bailey's Mk IV and when I was sailing it, I came within 1/5ths of a second of being flipped over backwards by a following quarter motorboat wake.

I need to find an A that has enough umf to keep fat boy afloat ... and I'm not sure that one can be found in that price point I gave.

H16's rig is a bit too different than the 20... but I'll keep it in mind. I like the F16 but I think the price point will keep me away from that.
That's what makes you better, paying attention to that kind of stuff. So far almost every time I've flipped mine it has been to windward on top of myself. It aint no cruising boat. Things happen quick,if you get stuck to leeward your going swimming.Sail out of a puff into a hole on the wire and your getting teabagged and may end up in the water(happened a few times yesterday). this is the stuff that will tighten you up in the long run. There are used A's in your price point , so everyone saying there isn't is BS. The WETA is a cool boat, but your not going to gain anything on the 20 from it. It's too different. I haven't met Steve Clark but apparently he's a bigger guy and does well on an A.If you got one and didn't like it ,they hold their value extremely well and you could get your money back out of it,if not more.

I think Bailey has a Mk V or Flyer.Chris Green's Marstrom on the USACA site would be a great fit for you and it's 9k. I haven't seen it but he's meticulous ,so my guess would be that it's in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

MauganTornado

Super Anarchist
.Chris Green's Marstrom on the USACA site would be a great fit for you and it's 9k. I haven't seen it but he's meticulous ,so my guess would be that it's in good shape..
Word. Although getting tea-bagged in a gator pond aint my idea of fun, the A would definitely be one of the better training platforms. You think the marstrom would handle me well? I've looked at the one thats at my local club and I'm skeptical.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Weta...hands down. Won't find an A for that price point, and they are so fast you'll run out of lake quickly. The rhythm of trimming 3 sails is a good test, she's got a helm that is as responsive as anything you've mentioned (except maybe the A), and it will handle your weight no problem.

The only downside vs. your cat is that it has no traps, so you'll have no real practice other than hiking out.

C.
Not to mention when your ready to switch to the big boy boat the weta will be easy to sell with minimal loss in value.

Tornadosail2012

Super Anarchist
New Hampshire
The DK-17 designed by Dirk Kramer is one of the big boy boats. I believe that Steve Clark has the mold's, but I saw one for sale a while back. You can go to the usaca.info site and post a message seeking information about other A's that handle bigger bodies. I sail a Boyer MKIV and am 205#.

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
I'm looking at putting a square top and a hooter on my H14 for singlehanded practice, can't afford an A cat (unless there's a less competitive one floating around for 3-5k), and the F16 is the ticket but very pricey right now. Doing the same to a H17 might make even more sense, and it will be fast. Supposedly Dan Berger was pacing the N20's with his H14+hooter at spring fever a few years ago. And the H14 can handle the weight, more so than an A

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
.Chris Green's Marstrom on the USACA site would be a great fit for you and it's 9k. I haven't seen it but he's meticulous ,so my guess would be that it's in good shape..
Word. Although getting tea-bagged in a gator pond aint my idea of fun, the A would definitely be one of the better training platforms. You think the marstrom would handle me well? I've looked at the one thats at my local club and I'm skeptical.
Gators= more incentive to sail better,kinda like sharks.

The DK-17 mentioned above would be ideal but there are only a couple around. The one that was for sale was pulled from the market ,I believe.I think Bill V. has it. The Marstrom is supposed to handle weight well. I haven't sailed one myself,but a few folks were steering me towards one when I was looking to get into A cats.I bought a Mark IV which did well with weight, and they are well inside your price point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
I'm looking at putting a square top and a hooter on my H14 for singlehanded practice, can't afford an A cat (unless there's a less competitive one floating around for 3-5k), and the F16 is the ticket but very pricey right now. Doing the same to a H17 might make even more sense, and it will be fast. Supposedly Dan Berger was pacing the N20's with his H14+hooter at spring fever a few years ago. And the H14 can handle the weight, more so than an A
I sailed with Dan yesterday.He was on an A. That should tell you something. And there is NO WAY a Hobie 14 can handle weight better than an A. I own both.

Latest posts