Skeltic (Keltic Marine) Help

Defy

San Antonio
Team!

So I have been boatless for about 5 months (sold them all when I left VA for TX) and I just couldn’t take it any more!  

Picked up a cool little winter project that I am going to restore and bring back to all its dinghy glory!  Problem is I can’t find anything on the nets about it.  All I have to go on is it says Skeltic on the sail, Kelt on the transom and Keltic Marine on the bow.  I assume it’s French but I could be wrong.  

I have a attached a pic of a rigged one.  I will rig mine this weekend to see what I am missing.  So far it looks like it’s mostly there but it’s missing the stainless eye on the bow for the forestay.  I think I can fab it up pretty easy it’s a neat little setup.  

Anyone have one or know info on it?  I am thinking about a full resto if it sails well.  I want to use this to learn how to paint/gelcoat a boat not just patches like I did on my other boats.

D4ED4BF7-9224-4D66-BAA3-01273B2249F0.jpeg

95663930-CCA0-4B97-9315-0AE10F78DBDF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Designed late 80s? (I was infatuated with windsurfer rad cam stuff at the time ad designed a wishbone boom full roach thing a lot like that at the time.)  This will be great to see back in action.

Blaise

Hamilton, ON
Designed late 80s? (I was infatuated with windsurfer rad cam stuff at the time ad designed a wishbone boom full roach thing a lot like that at the time.)  This will be great to see back in action.
I remember seeing these on the beach, in France, back in the 80’s. My recollection is that it was Keltic’s response to Beneteau’s wizz https://www.beneteau.com/en/sailing-yacht-1965-1981/wizz or maybe I got it wrong and they came the other way around. 

Defy

San Antonio
So upon further inspection it looks like I have all the important parts of the hardware.  So now time to over analyze … enjoy …

F4B0FDA6-4613-4C34-9254-E371803EE22E.jpeg

1) Looks like the red/green wires are the shrouds.  The mast only has 2 eyes I think one is for a down haul and one mid way up is for shrouds/jib.  Question on a dinghy of this size (4.45m) do I put them all in one shackle?  Any special type I should use? 

2) looks like it has a trap setup.  I have a harness somewhere from an old Hobie I thing but anyone know how that setup is supposed to work?  

EE1938AA-A8CC-4283-A663-9E6A410474BA.jpeg

3) this is the jib tack with the forestay threw the jib. The shrouds are fixed with no adjustments so do I need adjustments here or is it just used to tighten everything up?  I want to do a full dynema setup but I might just do the shrouds. 

4) this got me thinking with no roller furler and no reefing setup not much I can do to de-power… I guess I need 2 sets of sails and small top tube for the mast so I can have normal and “oh shit it’s windy”?  Should I put a small furler on it?  

B4675D90-A4B5-4C0F-A5DE-42A35AFC7E27.jpeg BDC3C373-11D6-4107-A8AA-969F50443137.jpeg

5) Found the forestay eye (I think that is what you call it)!!!  While we are at the bow this thing is going to need a kite!  Any ideas on a bow sprit?  I am thinking an aluminum hing thingi similar to my old Corsair F241 but then there would need to be stays for it so I don’t think that would work…. Might be a bridge to far..

8ED7B097-7B5C-4BFF-B562-17D7AB14F103.jpeg

6) last set of questions bottom hole is the mast pocket.  Top one not sure of.  I assume that’s where a block/cam goes for the main sheet but whats the hole for?  

All and all I am super stoked just want to find sails for it as there are no local sail makers here in SATX (I assume).  Anyone have recommendations for dinghy sailmaker that I could send them too to copy?  Or how to search for France’s best dinghy supply website (gotta be a few of those there). 

Defy

San Antonio
I can translate what I can read if needed. 
Thanks I will try translation tools if not I might reach out for help.  That will give me an excuse to learn something.

I do have a question the name of the boat is “Heibine” does that mean anything? 

Hi Defy,

Actually found the links when searching for info about the BIC 410 hull, I was given for free a few years ago. Used parts from my stash to build it up to a singlehander: 8.5sqm cut down main from a Blaze, windsurfer boom and mast from a Flipper Dinghy.

blaze4.jpg

bicland.JPG

Blaise

Hamilton, ON
Thanks I will try translation tools if not I might reach out for help.  That will give me an excuse to learn something.

I do have a question the name of the boat is “Heibine” does that mean anything? 
Absolutely no idea.... It is not a French word. It may be a noun, or a contraction of two first name like Heidi + Sabine.

Note in passing how a even a European recreational fun boat had a trapeze while North Americans seem terrified about it, castrated a perfectly good design like the 420 to turn it into the C420 monstrosity, and sail mostly trapeze-less boats. Why is it so?

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Note in passing how a even a European recreational fun boat had a trapeze while North Americans seem terrified about it, castrated a perfectly good design like the 420 to turn it into the C420 monstrosity, and sail mostly trapeze-less boats. Why is it so?
Trapeseless is college and high school saili g.  Jinior c420 all spon amd trapese

Defy

San Antonio
Absolutely no idea.... It is not a French word. It may be a noun, or a contraction of two first name like Heidi + Sabine.

Thanks!  Yeah I want to figure out how this trap system works as it different than my old Hobie setup.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I think that tail goes to the bungee and the ball acts as a stop. That pits the oblong ring standing oit for easy clip in

Defy

San Antonio
Hi Defy,

Actually found the links when searching for info about the BIC 410 hull, I was given for free a few years ago. Used parts from my stash to build it up to a singlehander: 8.5sqm cut down main from a Blaze, windsurfer boom and mast from a Flipper Dinghy.

View attachment 469020

View attachment 469021
How did that sail?  I am curious about this boom setup.  I am not a racer but I do like to play with sail trim and I am not sure how it will work with this.  I do hope it’s quasi fast, coming from a Corsair F24 I do love speed!  

I have no idea on how fast it is. As I come from Tornado catamaran background, anything else, except foilers, feels slow. But it feels nice. With the original dated sails you have, I guess you wish for more, though ;-) .

Defy

San Antonio
I have no idea on how fast it is. As I come from Tornado catamaran background, anything else, except foilers, feels slow. But it feels nice. With the original dated sails you have, I guess you wish for more, though ;-) .
Yeah we’ll see if I really get time to sail again I am buying a newer Corsair 24.  It’s so nice to walk out to an ama when you need to “hike out”. My knees/aren’t what they were 20 years ago.  

This will be just a toy to play with.  Still need to find someone to send the sails to that I can trust won’t lose mine when making a template.