Skeltic (Keltic Marine) Help

Foredeck Shuffle

Super Anarchist
Yeah we’ll see if I really get time to sail again I am buying a newer Corsair 24.  It’s so nice to walk out to an ama when you need to “hike out”. My knees/aren’t what they were 20 years ago.  

This will be just a toy to play with.  Still need to find someone to send the sails to that I can trust won’t lose mine when making a template.  
https://reallysimplesails.com/

You could design what you want with this company.  I've like working with them for one off sails and their experience seems to be broad.

Defy

San Antonio
What are your thoughts on finding a more modern sail setup form a different boat…. 

mast is 19ft and I have room for about 8 foot boom.  So maybe a sail with a 16 luff and 7 foot?  

Last edited by a moderator:

Foredeck Shuffle

Super Anarchist
What are your thoughts on finding a more modern sail setup form a different boat…. 

mast is 19ft and I have room for about 8 foot boom.  So maybe a sail with a 16 luff and 7 foot?  

Will spend some time looking over the details from what you and others have posted. Would help to see a video of the boat rigged, even more so if someone can find an archive of the boat sailing.  Unlikely, but you never know what you can find out there.  Picture of how the mast is stepped, stayed, etc, would also help.

Foredeck Shuffle

Super Anarchist
Having looked over the forum voile page, the change of the rig is going to take some work whereas getting a sail built to replace the old one, especially if you have old copies you can send to a sail maker, is much faster/simpler/cheaper.  The wishbone rig which seems like a sailboard rig, will be stiffer than any sailboard rig, no chance of a swap out.  Also that rig was made to give, providing the boat an auto depower method, put in a stiff rig and the boat will become unbalanced, difficult to sail.  If you were to swap out the rig, you first need to determine the CoE of the boat and then go looking for an existing rig, something skiff like.

Put the boat together, that will give you an idea of how the boat is set up and what might work.  You might find that the boat is powered up enough that changing the rig doesn't make sense and that getting new sails and updating the rigging to simplify and take advantage of modern materials to reduce complexity and weight, and reduce the time it take to rig/derig that boat, is all it needs.  That and some time with a buffer.

Defy

San Antonio
Alright team new plan for now.  We are going to add some sail tape, gel coat touch ups and a good wax.  Then we are just going to send it for this season.  Not sure if I like this rigging setup.  

Ok so on to the pics  FC417885-EC9B-4701-B6C2-6A5154EAAE98.jpeg

1) I thinking I am missing something that connects the front of the boom to the mast.  I have a old wind surfer and there is another plate thing that clamps it to the mast… any ideas?  I need to find the box that has the windsurfing stuff to see if I can make something work.

3A29377B-23F6-47BD-A1CC-D8F495FE9CCC.jpeg

2) said board with kiddos doing there best 90s impression

B3E3CD87-18C3-42D9-91A1-F24D53D4CB7C.jpeg

3) dagger is huge for this boat, it’s bigger than my centerboard on my f24.

2E5694E5-B35F-49E5-9DA4-6C0A2B9DE79F.jpeg C954570E-A44D-40D6-BEE5-2DA9D2E75BD4.jpeg

4) gave up on trying to rotate them.  To note here.  The shrouds have different shackles so I need to fix that cause one is about an 1 inch longer.  Forgot to put the battens in.  Needs sail tape for some of the tears.  Also need to figure out how to connect main sheet to the other side of the boom.

Blaise

Hamilton, ON
Alright team new plan for now.  We are going to add some sail tape, gel coat touch ups and a good wax.  Then we are just going to send it for this season.  Not sure if I like this rigging setup.  

Ok so on to the pics  View attachment 470788

1) I thinking I am missing something that connects the front of the boom to the mast.  I have a old wind surfer and there is another plate thing that clamps it to the mast… any ideas?  I need to find the box that has the windsurfing stuff to see if I can make something work.

View attachment 470785

2) said board with kiddos doing there best 90s impression

View attachment 470786

3) dagger is huge for this boat, it’s bigger than my centerboard on my f24.

View attachment 470791 View attachment 470790

4) gave up on trying to rotate them.  To note here.  The shrouds have different shackles so I need to fix that cause one is about an 1 inch longer.  Forgot to put the battens in.  Needs sail tape for some of the tears.  Also need to figure out how to connect main sheet to the other side of the boom.
Looking at your wishbone, I would assume that you simply thread a line through one of the hole, around the mast, the second hole, around the mast then use the cleat looking V notch on the wishbone. That or make a loop with a diamond knot around the mast short enough that you can tit it though th V when the wishbone is parallel to the mast, and it gets tentions ce when the wishbone is perpendicular to the mast. Like very old windsurfs. Do I make sense?

Defy

San Antonio
Looking at your wishbone, I would assume that you simply thread a line through one of the hole, around the mast, the second hole, around the mast then use the cleat looking V notch on the wishbone. That or make a loop with a diamond knot around the mast short enough that you can tit it though th V when the wishbone is parallel to the mast, and it gets tentions ce when the wishbone is perpendicular to the mast. Like very old windsurfs. Do I make sense?
I’ll search old windsurfers setup. 

Personally I would do as Bourdidn suggests. If looking at the instructions, this is probably correct. But it might show the line should be 3 turns around the mast. To bad the resolution is so low.

image.png

wish.png

Ncik

Super Anarchist
4) this got me thinking with no roller furler and no reefing setup not much I can do to de-power… I guess I need 2 sets of sails and small top tube for the mast so I can have normal and “oh shit it’s windy”?  Should I put a small furler on it?  
It does not look like you will need a smaller rig. Just learn how to depower with downhaul and outhaul.

Blaise

Hamilton, ON
It does not look like you will need a smaller rig. Just learn how to depower with downhaul and outhaul.
Or use the trapeze... My recollection is that neither the wizz not the skeltic were particularly overpowered anyway...