Sloop Tavern DTS?

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Chips and nacho's are the future, desspite  my Msc in chemistry, nautical, econimical, milliitary.
For he is the kwisat haderich.

Last edited by a moderator:

SIFF

Avast !
Loss of the Sloop would be a double-whammy.  Best poor-man's yacht club on the West Coast and the last authentic dive bar in Ballard. 

Will the last person leaving Seattle from Shilshole please turn out the harbor lights.

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Don't fret, I am sure the city will allow it to be replaced by a 6 story slab sided box of a building built to a very low standard, or used as a tent and blue tarp based community sanctioned counterfit fentanyl distribution center.

The property is zoned retail.  Guessing if it could be zoned mixed/residential, the price would be on another level.  Would hate to lose Sloop, and hopefully whoever buys feels that way too. 

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
The property is zoned retail.  Guessing if it could be zoned mixed/residential, the price would be on another level.  Would hate to lose Sloop, and hopefully whoever buys feels that way too. 
The property is zone Industrial Buffer (IB-U/45) with commercial uses permitted outright and residential uses permitted as a conditional use.  My guess is that the conditional use will be granted based on developments to the east along the street.  It is something of an orphan zone.   But that is an expensive 18-24 month process.  Therefore probably some downward pressure on the land value.

I expect there will be many comments from the peanut gallery during redevelopment and design review.  Parking will be a critical issue, as always.  Ground floor retail/commercial will be required.  

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.01.27 PM.png

The property is zone Industrial Buffer (IB-U/45) with commercial uses permitted outright and residential uses permitted as a conditional use.  My guess is that the conditional use will be granted based on developments to the east along the street.  It is something of an orphan zone.   But that is an expensive 18-24 month process.  Therefore probably some downward pressure on the land value.

I expect there will be many comments from the peanut gallery during redevelopment and design review.  Parking will be a critical issue, as always.  Ground floor retail/commercial will be required.  

View attachment 479846
Ahhh, actual knowledge, thanks for clarifying!  I was just going off the MyBallard article where Sloop owner said it wasn't zoned for Residential or Apartments, I'm by no means in the know on city code.  

Maybe the real downward pressure on value is no adult entertainment.

IB Typical Land Uses: Light and general manufacturing, commercial use subject to some limits, some transportation services, entertainment uses other than adult, institutions generally in existing buildings, salvage and recycling uses.

Boathavn

Gammel Dansk - Skål !
Lower Queen Anne's Authentic dive bar, The Streamline Tavern ("Where the (Seattle bar) industry gets stupid") made the transition to another location and came back stronger.  So maybe there is hope...

1179115-683x1024.jpg

SIFF

Avast !
Too bad the Admiral Benbow Inn space isn't closer to Ballard.  It would make a perfect place for The Sloop Yacht Club.  It was the winner of many dive bar awards in the day when it was run by the original one-eyed, (and likely peg-legged) old crone owner.  The Seattle Stranger's long running "Drunk of the Week" series began after an encounter there.

BENBOW.jpg

See Level

Super Anarchist

View attachment 479846

The city owns the property directly east of the sloop, it's were the tiny house homeless camp was for 2+ years, as I recall that's when the city changed the code to conditional residential. 

Look for the city to scoop up the sloop, the smoke shop and the old liquor store properties and build affordable housing.

They have $150 million to spend in 2022 and they can change the land use codes at will.

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
The city owns the property directly east of the sloop, it's were the tiny house homeless camp was for 2+ years, as I recall that's when the city changed the code to conditional residential. 

Look for the city to scoop up the sloop, the smoke shop and the old liquor store properties and build affordable housing.

They have $150 million to spend in 2022 and they can change the land use codes at will.
Could be.  With conditional use in place, the city doesn't have to change the code to something like Neighborhood Commercial.  But that route might be faster.  The code is revised via omnibus bills quarterly.  Using the conditional use designation, they can't exempt themselves from the land use process - only the Feds can do that - but they can institute procedural code language that can streamline the process.  The standard process is, in this town, hellaciously long and expensive, conditional use added on makes it even more so. 

IStream

Super Anarchist
I'm serious that I'd be in for a slice of the Sloop property. I've got no desire to tear it down and redevelop it anytime soon, I'd just want to leave it as is and let the land appreciate under it. If anyone else is interested, PM me. 

Loss of the Sloop would be a double-whammy.  Best poor-man's yacht club on the West Coast and the last authentic dive bar in Ballard. 

Will the last person leaving Seattle from Shilshole please turn out the harbor lights.
While it would be heartbreaking to lose the bar, STYC and the bar are two separate entities.  The club will remain with or without the bar