Snap Shackles popping open?

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
So I've had snap shackles pop open on me at least 3 times. Spinnaker sheets, zero sheets, etc. Is this typical or am I somehow being a ditz? When I look at the shackle and the incident the only thing I can think is NFW.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Why aren't you tying your sheets on?  Or using soft shackles.  

Why do you want flying bits of heavy metal banging around and popping open?  Unless you really hate your bow girl.

(You could make things even worse and go search out an old pair of J-Locks, I suppose.)

Last edited by a moderator:

casc27

Super Anarchist
Sounds like your snap shackle wants to be free...so set it free in the rubbish heap!

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
As left shift noted, why not tie off with stopper knots? They don’t pop open and are easy to release and lighter than stainless on those light wind days!

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
With donkeys' years on big boats I never had a shackle pop open.  Not even on a broaching IOR maxi when there was the world's supply of stainless steel and wire thrashing round off a flogging kite clew.

My only suggestion is either to upgrade to a better grade of snapshackle (Tylaska) or go for the soft alternative. 

Soft ones aren't quite so easy to trip if the fewmets hit the windmill, but then again what are knives for?

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
With donkeys' years on big boats I never had a shackle pop open.  Not even on a broaching IOR maxi when there was the world's supply of stainless steel and wire thrashing round off a flogging kite clew.

My only suggestion is either to upgrade to a better grade of snapshackle (Tylaska) or go for the soft alternative. 

Soft ones aren't quite so easy to trip if the fewmets hit the windmill, but then again what are knives for?
Each time we try to make something Idiot Proof, they come up with better Idiots!  I, for one, don't want to be out at the end of a pole for a peel with a knife that cut through a Dyneema soft shackle!  I have enough of an issue with a dull fid!  Even Tylaska shackles can get a little grumpy if not kept clean and lubed!  

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Each time we try to make something Idiot Proof, they come up with better Idiots!  I, for one, don't want to be out at the end of a pole for a peel with a knife that cut through a Dyneema soft shackle!  I have enough of an issue with a dull fid!  Even Tylaska shackles can get a little grumpy if not kept clean and lubed!  
Ah...memories.  The last stand of the Tylaska shackle on a spinnaker guy.  The heavy weather, hang-upside-down-out-at-the-end-of-the-pole and spike-away-the-old-kite peel to the 1.5 oz. runner. 

I wonder why we don't do that anymore?  

Countryclub

seattle
Tylaska halyard shackles as they wont bang off when they hit the  the spreaders , I have older sparcraft ones retired to the Cruiser still kicking after 40 years. 

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
If they are plunger pin style shackles, entirely possible the pin has become bent, only takes a little bit of bend. This will cause the shackle to open on its own. It never gets better

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Do you have lanyards on the release?  Sometimes the lanyard is watch getting caught, causing pin to pull and shackle to open....

Latest posts