So, I got a free Prindle

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
I hauled away a Prindle 15 that had been in a co--worker's back yard for a really long time.  It cleaned up pretty well.  It has a small crack in one of the hulls that should be an easy, if ugly, patch.  Tramp and sail were stored indoors and are in surprisingly good condition.  I have no idea how to rig this things.  There is no halyard, so I bought some 5/16" line.  It looks like the halyard runs internal  through a very small mast head sheave and comes out the base, again through a small sheavve and then back up somehow.

I know this barely qualifies as a "boat" and is probably beneath consideration by this board, but I though it might be some summer fun while the "real" boat is function impaired due to some needed work.  

Does anyone have a guide on how to correctly rig the halyard and sail on one of these things?  My google fu seems to really suck.

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
good boat but takes some practice to tack. I had one for a year way back when. the halyard is a 3/16" line inside the mast slot has Aussie ring at the upper end and attaches to the sail head and is held up on the mast heat hook which is mounted to the mast head. rotate the mast to hook and unhook. go to murrays.com for parts    https://www.murrays.com/product/01-4216/

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Most fun sailboat I have ever owned. Perfect for my bodyweight (at that time) in the Caribbean Blast of the Virgin Islands. Racing handicap I terrorized the rest of the beach cat class all the way up to Hobie 21's. I could do the most dramatic pitchpole stunts and have the boat on its feet and back racing in less time than other crews realized that I hadn't just killed myself. I upgraded to a Tornado 20 to try out for the Barcelona Olympics and really missed the instant gratification I used to get on my Prindle 15. Overbored is right about being hard to tack especially in tradewind conditions. Really more of a 3 point turn in any sort of chop but just release the main sheer as you dive under the boom and fully back the rudders. Boat will back up about 4 feet and then sheet in and you are back to a full tilt beat. 

TBW

I know this barely qualifies as a "boat" and is probably beneath consideration by this board, but I though it might be some summer fun while the "real" boat is function impaired due to some needed work.  
Prindles are most definitely real boats.  Fast, fun and tough.  When I think of a "real" sailboat, beach cats are the first boats that come to mind.  Used to own bigger keel boats, got rid of all of them, now own a Prindle, a Hobie and a Windrider, life is good.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
Thanks for the advice and links.  Looking forward to getting it out this summer and getting some work done on my cruiser.

guerdon

Anarchist
SLO canvas are good folks so are Murrays.  I just finished a Prindle 16 , bottom fisher restoration.  If you need sails check Blast sails.  Have fun.  These boats really are logical and fast.