So I just bought an I-14 today...

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I finally made a deal today to pick up a boat for fun and practice. The owner is bringing it down for me after thanksgiving.

It's an I-14 "One Design Grand Prix) from maybe 2000, no racks, alloy mast, grand prix version (24 ' mast I think and long boom). I got a good enough deal and I trust the owner enough that I bought it sight unseen (although lots of pics). Oh, and my purchase is paying for a new runner for his M-24, which I will be trimming in florida.

I'm in SE Michigan, where there is not a lot of skiff racing, but I figured it'd be a good trainer in general and fun for me and the gf or as an after work toy with some of my more fun loving friends. If me and the girl put in the time, maybe we'd go and buy something more modern and try to do some travel trips for better racing.

Here's what I'm curious about:

1) Any info about the I-14 1D GP- why was it created, why did it die, are there any fleets still racing this version, can it be upgraded and competed somewhere?

2) I heard there's some skiff racing in Toronto- Details? Is there any "open" type class where you can race anything and get some kind of rating?

3) Miscellaneous tips for the boat in general

My background- many tens of thousands of miles of ocean sailing, probably 80 % deliveries and cruising and 20 racing, former sail training skipper on big wooden classics, many years race driving and crewing everything from V15's to IMS 60's...everything EXCEPT FOR TRAP-SKIFFS. My only trap experience is leisurely hanging off Hobie 16's with slow, well thought out tacks and gybes. I am 6'2, 210 lbs, very fit, girl is 5'7, 130 lbs. yoga instructor.

Thanks in advance, dear mentors.

-CLEAN

Rajinder

Super Anarchist
Clean,

Good luck with that. As you know from my background I can't help with skiffs!

I would have expected to hear about an iceboat being acquired this time of year.

Get a wetsuit... no, get a drysuit! I don't even want to think about the water temps up there. I'm thinking about taking the dinghy out this PM down here and my toes (and other parts) curled up just thinkin bout it.

Have fun,

Just-

Colin

Super Anarchist
girl is 5'7, 130 lbs. yoga instructor.

-CLEAN

send me your girlfriend, i'll teach her everything you could possibly need to know about hanging from a wire by your crotch.

Flip Rigsby

Super Anarchist
girl is 5'7, 130 lbs. yoga instructor.

-CLEAN

send me your girlfriend, i'll teach her everything you could possibly need to know about hanging from a wire by your crotch.

Damn, my mind is not working fast enough today! Doh!!!

MR.CLEAN

Not here

And she'll end up bringing yours, or your wife, or your daughter, back to my house for fun and games. She's just like that, ya know?

Sounds to me like you have bought a One Design 14. For the right price it is a great boat, here's the story:

The One Designs were created a World's winning International 14 hull design (1987 or so I believe). In the late '80s though 1992 or so there was a pro circuit racing along with the Ultimate 30s featuring the likes of Cam Lewis and Stu Johnstone. The class pretty much died when money for the circuit dried up. After that the Saffer brothers bought the molds and rights to the boats. Many of the older hulls were built at Ontario bulders. Not sure which other builders were involved, or how many boats were ever produced. There were scattered fleets from Maryland to Newport through the late 90s. We would do weekend regattas of 8-12 boats, occasionally meeting up with Annapolis I-14s.

The boat measures as an I-14 under the old rules (new I-14s have longer sprint and taller mast) but the hull is built much heavier. At 200 pounds the hull is not excessively heavy, but new I-14s will wipe the floor with it. The upside of this and the alloy spars is that the boat is fairly bullet proof. I never saw any cases of hull failure and the occasional spar failure was either an impressive wipe out or other rigging parts (hmmm, I think we need bigger shoud pins...) We sailed the boats in 5-30 knots with no problem. The Saffer brothers had one memorable ride down Naragansett Bay in 35-40 with the chute up.

Great boat to get a taste of double trap thrills. Fairly wide and stable. And as mentioned you can beat the crap out of them. Another bonus is that when capsized they float low in the water, making getting on the center board fairly easy.

Now, normal weight ranges were 300-320, with 275 being the minimum. That said, since you won't be racing much, this just limits your heavy air sailing. Be warned that the fairly large spinaker and overlapping genoa can be a bit of a bear to handle for the crew.

Have fun!

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
ok - deal is - she's gotta drive. These older boats are a workout for the crew - really.

Here's a Chicago based skiff fleet - was just talking to them yesterday - have 4 Cross 3's(similar if not identical to what you just bought) + a few new boats.

http://www.highperformancesailing.org

Have fun!

theworm13

Awesome! Have fun.

Toronto has a GREAT fleet of I-14's. The older boats there have just about totally dried up, but that is a good thing. They welcome all comers, and have a VERY active fleet. Ottowa also has a fleet of boats, and most of them are older boats (like yours). Though they recently purchased all the I-14's from Annapolis, and have a slightly more modern fleet now.

The boats are lots of fun. The OD-14s are bullet proof, lots of fun, and with the moderate sail area, are much easier to handle than the I-14. They often win races when all the I-14s capsize. But it is a great learning platform for dual traps, and is a good stepping stone for getting into faster dual trap boats like the 49er and I-14

eliboat

Super Anarchist
I used to race the OD 14, and it was a total blast. It is true that the OD14 was just a Cross III hull. The original; builder of the boats was Ontario yachts in Canada. Later, when Peter Johnstone sold the class to Marhsall Saffer in NY, they shifted production of the boats to Jibetech I think, and maybe another builder as well at some point. The post Ontario boats had a form fitting daggerboard slot instead of the large delrin plate that was on the bottom of the hull. This usually leaked and had was regualrly sliced open by the very sharp trailing edge of the daggerboard. The other obvious issue with that arrangement from a performance perspective was that there was this rectangular protuberance on the bottom of the hull, whic is not fast, so the newer OD's eliminated this too. Anyways, have fun with that. While the boat is totally not competitive with the newer/narrower and lighter boats, it still goes scary fast in a blow.

www.eliboat.com

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
some more thoughts

"Any info about the I-14 1D GP- why was it created, why did it die, are there any fleets still racing this version, can it be upgraded and competed somewhere?"

The OD 14 was created by the Jonestones back in the late 80’s. It is a Cross 3 hull and rig and was (and is) a class legal I14. Unfortunately for the OD, the I14 evolved and got faster, & changed some measurements when the Northern & Southern hemisphere fleets combined, and the OD 14 was left behind. Don’t know if there are any OD fleets still around. There is a big I14 fleet in Toronto, and they still have a few of the “old rules” boats sailing in Canada. A few Toronto guys post here. There are a couple in Chicago too. I wouldn’t bother to upgrade this one, just learn how to sail, then if you like it – upgrade then to a newer boat. Your OD 14 is a bit heavier, a little narrower on the beam, a little wider at the waterline, has a shorter mast, and smaller sails then a “new rules” 14.

"I heard there's some skiff racing in Toronto- Details? Is there any "open" type class where you can race anything and get some kind of rating?"

See above - for combined fleets they race as one fleet but score separately – new rules & old rules boats

"Miscellaneous tips for the boat in general."

Welcome to fun. I have never felt acceleration, on any boat, like I have on the 14, not beach cats, not sleds, not 18 foot skiffs. They are just the quickest accelerating boats around. That being said – they are a challenge to sail. Just getting around the course is a challenge. You will go swimming - many times. The I14 is only stable upside-down. There was a guy years ago, who was doing a competitive 470 Olympic campaign, He got a Tuttle built Cross 3 (shape like yours, but carbon) and was going to “Kick ass” right away. On his first sail they tipped over 12 times, and came back to the dock with a “new plan”. 15 years later, he now is a world champ. I like all kinds of sailboat racing, but I like the 14 the best. Oh and don’t worry about the tipping over thing, you just get wet. The keelboat guys tease me like it’s a big deal, but it’s not – it happens to every skiff sailor – welcome to the club.

Speak0-R2-29.jpg

wet fun - photo Renee Speak

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Y'all are the shit. I joined the HPS group and will post pics of the flailing and dunking next spring.

Thanks for all the info. Lurkers, don't be bashful. Any experience is appreciated.

I promise I won't call anyone names unless you suggest wiring my girl's crotch.

ADK

Anarchist
Congratulations! Sailing will never be the same for you again! I've never sailed an OD14, but my last boat was a penultimate boat which is similar. Regardless, they're great fun. As has been mentioned above, plan on lots of swimming at first, but one good ride with the kite and all the capsizes are worth it. Oh, a note on capsizes - they aren't anywhere near as scarry as you think they are going to be. In general, it's no big deal at all, you just get wet. Have fun and good luck!

O

One of Five

What are the size and weight ranges combined for these boats?

Brettmx

Anarchist
I've got one too. It's a great boat, especially for taking newbies out. Stable, as compared to new the breed of I14's. Simple layout. Bagging, or stuffing the spinnaker under the "tramp" is a bit messy. I've heard some folks built spinnaker socks for them- that would be easier. Get yourself a forestay adjuster so you can adjust the rake. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d6000/e5512.asp

The struts adjust for pre-bend in the mast. Make sure you tie the end of the mainsheet to something or it will be out the back of the boat in a heartbeat. I set the jib sheets up continous- it's easier for new crew. You can tie them off to the trapeze adjusters but then there is more stuff to hang yourself on going across the boat.

Have fun.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
What are the size and weight ranges combined for these boats?
from 330 lb (~150 kg) thru 400 lb (~181 kg) is competive

Any mix between crew & driver. If there were a choice, might go bigger on the driver, but it doesn't seem to matter all that much

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I've got one too. It's a great boat, especially for taking newbies out. Stable, as compared to new the breed of I14's. Simple layout. Bagging, or stuffing the spinnaker under the "tramp" is a bit messy. I've heard some folks built spinnaker socks for them- that would be easier. Get yourself a forestay adjuster so you can adjust the rake. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d6000/e5512.asp
The struts adjust for pre-bend in the mast. Make sure you tie the end of the mainsheet to something or it will be out the back of the boat in a heartbeat. I set the jib sheets up continous- it's easier for new crew. You can tie them off to the trapeze adjusters but then there is more stuff to hang yourself on going across the boat.

Have fun.
Thanks, Brett. Could you give me a few words on what you've found to be balanced and fast with regards to rake and prebend? Do you stand the fucker up in displacement conditions, how raked will you get in big air, I understand the masthead can move through 70 cm or more, is this entirely cunningham/mainsheet or do you do a bunch of it through strut adjustment/prebend?