So I just bought an I-14 today...

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
you might consider modifing the jib sheets to be 2 to 1. Makes for lots of tail but loads easier to sail. we had that before the new boat came with a selftacker

Last edited by a moderator:

aA

Super Anarchist
norcal™
modern boats rake range is about 8"-10"(non mod. b3 magic #'s were 26'-6" to 25'-11 1/2") new boats #'s are a secret, but it's around 10" now (and the mast is 12" behind old boat's location). iirc from the gp i used to fook around with, it was only adjustable about 5". cunno and vang won't do much for the aluminum tree trunk of a mast...biggest issue with those was they weren't depowerable enough.

slightly off topic: can november be over already? that funny looking guy (driver) in the calendar this month is scaring me...

Brettmx

Anarchist
I've got one too. It's a great boat, especially for taking newbies out. Stable, as compared to new the breed of I14's. Simple layout. Bagging, or stuffing the spinnaker under the "tramp" is a bit messy. I've heard some folks built spinnaker socks for them- that would be easier. Get yourself a forestay adjuster so you can adjust the rake. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d6000/e5512.asp

The struts adjust for pre-bend in the mast. Make sure you tie the end of the mainsheet to something or it will be out the back of the boat in a heartbeat. I set the jib sheets up continous- it's easier for new crew. You can tie them off to the trapeze adjusters but then there is more stuff to hang yourself on going across the boat.

Have fun.
Thanks, Brett. Could you give me a few words on what you've found to be balanced and fast with regards to rake and prebend? Do you stand the fucker up in displacement conditions, how raked will you get in big air, I understand the masthead can move through 70 cm or more, is this entirely cunningham/mainsheet or do you do a bunch of it through strut adjustment/prebend?
Lots of vang as well when it's blowing- you'll need that to be able to trim the main. Since there is no one design racing going on get a purchase system for the cunningham. Oh yeah, make sure your stropes are long enough so you can center the boom, block to block on the mainsheet. I've raked back the full length of the forestay adjuster before in 20+. The 2-1 on the jib would be nice. In heavy air raise the board up- I've gone up 4" or so. That will free the boat up as well.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
don't spend a lot - but a few things are nice.

2:1 sheets like Pete said

spectra trap wires(wire are nasty all around)

really work to get friction out of the kite halyard - if there is any - it'll kill your crew. If your kire is well used, you might want to go as far as wiping it with mclube.

same with the pole - this might have a separate pole launcher. Lube the pole and tube, then lube again.

make sure the boat doesn't leak - it will - especially if it sat for awhile. Use the soapy water trick. You can provide enough air pressure by just getting a tube and blowing air into the boat. Sinking sucks.

Leave the ego at home, don't yell at your crew. The driver causes most capsizes anyway.

GTim

Anarchist
Erie, PA
Mr. Clean

I had a OD14 a few years ago too. There were 3 in Erie at one point. Another friend in Erie still has a GP. I had both rigs for it. I would switch to the small rig in spring and fall and the grand prix rig once the water warmed up a little. It is not that hard to sail. I even sailed it solo in lighter air with the kite.

Like the others said, the boat is tough. Press your finger on the bottom when you get it and you will find it doesn't budge. I'd say you made a good choice if you wanted a skiff that is still stable and something you won't bust every time you wipe out.

I always rigged the jib sheets to the windward trap, and I also tied the end of the mainsheet to keep it from getting sucked out the transom doors. You may find that you go through a hiking stick or two in the learning process. They are big ass sticks.

I stress cracked my daggerboard and ended up laying in tows of carbon tape in routered grooved to fix it. Another guy here broke his rudder. The hulls were always pretty solid, maybe a leak around the trunk, but that's boats.

I seem to recall the rig tensioner cleat on the front of the mast was an area I was very concerned about as the cleat could come undone. I think I tied it off after tensioning it.

You'll have to practice rigging up the asso as the retreiver line (spin halyard end) can be confounding until you figure it out. If you are sailing Melges, you probably have a good idea anyways.

Plan in losing your girlfriend around the forestay at least once, probably yourself too. And you will teabag. You will likely capsize, you will likely turtle. No big deal, the boat can take it. And if you can't teabag your g/f send here over.

BTW Mr. Clean - I was wiping the floor with you the other day.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Mr Clear,

Congrats and I’d like to personally welcome you to, as a Tasar sailor at the Gorge once said, “The Hell Angel’s of Sailing.” Here is some information you will be needing to know.

Since you will undoubtedly want to hone your sailing skills, your crew will need to know the 4 accepted options for executing a perfect “dismount” in the extremely rare event that you suddenly find yourself slightly outside the sailing “envelope.” Another Anarchist was good enough to provide this information for me when I was starting out and I’ve been getting excellent marks ever since, even from the Russian judges…

option 1 - shoot the gap. this is going for the space between the hull and boom. this manouver is also known as, "watch me look like a scared chick as i fly to my death" as the best reaction is to scream real loud and throw your hands up towards your face in an attempt to save those dashingly good looks. the old adage of "chicks dig scars" works for hockey players, but not as well for skiffers.

option 2 - trampoline landing. in some cases, the wipeout will happen so quickly and fiercly that the crew will get ejected before the reactionary reflexes occur. in this instance, and while i am an agnostic, i believe your best reaction is a quick prayer. with luck the boat will still be travelling in an x axis while the crew is travelling in a y axis, thus preventing the shiskabob on the spreader tip or forced decapitation on a shroud. trust me...neither is fun, nor comfortable, and yes i have experienced both (though luckily not on my boat). so assuming you are clearing the rig...roll over to your back and try to land as flat as possible as well as covering the most sq. footage possible to spread the loads out on the main. the "rollover" is imperative as the feet first method has been proven, ad nauseum, to make ones day go very bad. plus, you will then get guys like pete m. looking at the pictures saying..."hey, it looks like a man sized hole!"

option 3 - scuba roll/flip, this is where a good crew becomes your and your boats equipment, best friend. as the boat is augering (where the chines start digging an the inevitable is ...well, inevitable) the crew releases the hook (usually done in the form of an 'ants-in-the-pants' dance) but continues to hold on to the trap handle. as the boat does finally go, and upon seeing his driver leave his boatbound presence looking like a bad nasa experiment (four letter expletives included), he simply lets go and rolls over the bottom of the hull and into the water. if he is really good, he rolls like a sea lion at pier 39, onto the side of the hull and directly to the board. i would consider this option your best chance at a quick recovery, and worth about 8 points to the judges. if you can get the crew to throw a gainer and even a half twist into it, i'm sure you'd be receiving 9's straight across...except for that fooking french judge. they'll give you 6's everytime just on principal.

option 4 - the spastic air swim, under only the worst of wipeouts should this be an option. this is reserved for the days when just sailing to the start makes you cry. you know, those days that you look at your crew while rigging up, still burping mt gay and tonics from only three hours ago when you finally left the party, and exclaim...."today is a good day to die". this manouver is usually an ejection with the wind at 25 kts plus with tall chop. you know something bad is gonna happen once you turn the weather mark, and before you even set the kite, you smell doodoo butter eminating from your crews wetsuit. kite goes up, boat goes from like 15 kts to 22+ in like two feet, and all you can think of is "why dont these boats have racks behind the stern?". over the top of one wave, through the next, crew barely staying in the loops, next wave off center, next wave over the bow and a roller puff...BOOM! its over that quick. now, one could say when you smelled dooodoo butter, that should have been your (and your crews) first hint that bad things are a brewin', but in reality, you don't want to sail the entire downhill like a nancy-boy, holding on to the trap handle like its your linus blanket. not to mention the fact that in those conditions your just trying to survive, and you are already busier than a fag in a dick tree just maintaining your composure. so you go for it and when the shit hits the fan, you merely let the arenaline and feminine insticts kick in. as you get ejected, let out the loudest and highest shrill you can muster (old karate movie grunts can be substituted, but once again, will probably equal a 3/4 point deduction), as you are flying (errr...as gravity takes affect) flap your arms and kick your legs in the most whitest of movements...loose all soul in your body an let the whiteness take over. the more arm revolutions and spastic leg kicks the better...in this case, looking really bad looks good. this should, in essence, get you an additional 3 or 4 feet of distance (and about .05 hang time increase), which might clear you from the main, but will most likely result in a hole a little higher up the main.

you must remember, no matter which option you actually choose, you will usually have plenty of time sailing back to the club in which to formulate a 'dramatic' description of the incident...best to use one that makes your team look really studly. if chicks are present at the time of description to the fleet, make sure you add something that will create the sympathy or ooooh factor from the feminine species (i.e. "we got this huge puff, drove off with it only to find a cute and furry harbor seal/dolphin/kitty cat right in our line of travel. rather than kill an innocent creature, we decided to gracefully round up and perform our 'scuba roll' with a half gainer") the chicks will be doubly impressed...a man with sensitivity as well as grace.

only four choices to choose from in a 1/2 second moment in time...pretty simple eh? hope this covers your question

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
bhyde

You have me laughing hysterically and calling all my mutual friends of this one guy and myself because Option 1 is perfectly fitting my buddy Matt whose wife bought him a Vanguard Vector last year. I took him out in it so he could check it out and of course we wiped out (lots of 505 experience but skiff experience is short and he's a complete novice). He proceeded to scream like a little girl and after I was able to get this 35yo man back in the boat and to chill out I immediately took the boat in because I was afraid that I was going to laugh in his face.

WCB

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
flap your arms and kick your legs in the most whitest of movements...loose all soul in your body an let the whiteness take over.
xlnt bhyde

slightly off topic: can november be over already? that funny looking guy (driver) in the calendar this month is scaring me
and aA, if you are refering to the R. Speak I14 calendar, you haven't looked at december yet, have you?

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Oops, almost forgot…

Once you’ve mastered some of the basics, there will be times when you’re out on the water and there just isn’t enough wind to get happy about. At these times you will want to start working on some “Stupid Skiff Tricks.” Here are a few examples:

Stupid Skiff Trick 1: Handstand Hiking – This is a real crowd pleaser and is guaranteed to convince any keelboaters in the area that you truly are “Da Shit”. While sailing in light to medium conditions, have your crew trapeze off the racks (or wings in your case) with his hands instead of his feet. He basically just does a handstand off the side of the boat while hanging from the trap, feet ‘a danglin’ in the wind. Bonus Points: If you, as the driver, can do this while steering the boat with the tiller extension in your teeth, you need not ever prove your manhood again.

Stupid Skiff Trick 2: Skiff Wheelie – When other boats see this, it look so weird that they will probably call the Coast Guard. While sailing in really light conditions, hook into the trap and have your crew go to the opposite side of the boat and hook into the trap. Balance the boat so each of you can fully extend off the racks. Now both of you start slowly moving aft until the bow of the boat comes out of the water. Done correctly you can actually get the boat to sail around with the nose at about 45 degrees. Don’t go too far aft or the boat will do a back flip. Bonus Points: have someone at the dock bring your cradle to the edge of the dock as you sail into the harbor doin’ the Skiff Wheelie. Drive the boat right into the cradle. A huge round of applause will erupt from the galley and rounds of drinks will be served on the house. Note, remember to pull the dagger board up, ouch!

Stupid Skiff Trick 3: Skiff Bodysurf – Cool and refreshing! While sailing in medium conditions hand the tiller extension to your crew (that will be his first clue that you’re about to engage in some skiff frivolity and he’ll just roll his eye’s at you like he always does). Unhook from the trap and slide into the water using only your hands to hold on to one of the foot straps or some other convenient hunk of hardware. Weeeeeeeee. If you can get back into the boat while it’s moving, you’re in great shape, congrats. If not, just let go when your crew isn’t looking and see how long it takes him to realize you’re not there. Bonus Points: Grab the rudder and make the boat wipe out. See if you can guess which dismount option (see above) your crew will select. This also is a good trick to perform if, during the course of the day, you have accumulated a large quantity of doodoo butter in your wetsuit. Simply crack your wetsuit collar open a little and watch the little chucks of fear power wash out your pant legs. Adjust your dietary fiber as required.

The lists goes on and on as there are almost an infinite variety of Stupid Skiff Tricks that you can use to improve your sailing skills and generally impress the world at large. But do remember that no matter what trick you are about to attempt, always say, “Hey, watch this!” first to guarantee a dramatic outcome and possible TV coverage.

aA

Super Anarchist
norcal™
if only tyco had appreciated my prose as much as you bobby (btw, don't forget #3 works welll when your fill-in crew has an unnanounced hypoglycemia attack mid capsize recovery)...

pete - look at the dude in the visor on this months page. much scarier looking than those rollers in hawaii last year, imnsho.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
From my experience. Don't take the girl friend unless she is as crazy about sailing as you. When I had a 505, I took some girl friends sailing and they usually decided to walk home (from the midle of the lake) I usually caught them by the life jacket as I heard the splash. We didn't event get the kite out. Just a leasurly sail with the main and jib.

When it is cold, you will love the dry suit. In the summer it will be too hot unless the water is very cold. Expect to swim a lot to start with. Go out in light wind first and work you way up to the screamers. I've never been in a 14 but skiffs are a blast.

Be careful you may get hooked.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
if only tyco had appreciated my prose as much as you bobby (btw, don't forget #3 works welll when your fill-in crew has an unnanounced hypoglycemia attack mid capsize recovery)...
Word!

Btw: Why is it every time I go out on a boat with you at some point I hear, “Go towards the light Bob, go towards the light…?” Is that normal or should I be worried or something?

Btw:Btw: Nice pix of you with the matching Gucci outfits in the new Calendar.

jdougherty

Super Anarchist
City Island, NY
Oops, almost forgot…
Once you’ve mastered some of the basics, there will be times when you’re out on the water and there just isn’t enough wind to get happy about. At these times you will want to start working on some “Stupid Skiff Tricks.” Here are a few examples:

Stupid Skiff Trick 1: Handstand Hiking – This is a real crowd pleaser and is guaranteed to convince any keelboaters in the area that you truly are “Da Shit”. While sailing in light to medium conditions, have your crew trapeze off the racks (or wings in your case) with his hands instead of his feet. He basically just does a handstand off the side of the boat while hanging from the trap, feet ‘a danglin’ in the wind. Bonus Points: If you, as the driver, can do this while steering the boat with the tiller extension in your teeth, you need not ever prove your manhood again.

Stupid Skiff Trick 2: Skiff Wheelie – When other boats see this, it look so weird that they will probably call the Coast Guard. While sailing in really light conditions, hook into the trap and have your crew go to the opposite side of the boat and hook into the trap. Balance the boat so each of you can fully extend off the racks. Now both of you start slowly moving aft until the bow of the boat comes out of the water. Done correctly you can actually get the boat to sail around with the nose at about 45 degrees. Don’t go too far aft or the boat will do a back flip. Bonus Points: have someone at the dock bring your cradle to the edge of the dock as you sail into the harbor doin’ the Skiff Wheelie. Drive the boat right into the cradle. A huge round of applause will erupt from the galley and rounds of drinks will be served on the house. Note, remember to pull the dagger board up, ouch!

Stupid Skiff Trick 3: Skiff Bodysurf – Cool and refreshing! While sailing in medium conditions hand the tiller extension to your crew (that will be his first clue that you’re about to engage in some skiff frivolity and he’ll just roll his eye’s at you like he always does). Unhook from the trap and slide into the water using only your hands to hold on to one of the foot straps or some other convenient hunk of hardware. Weeeeeeeee. If you can get back into the boat while it’s moving, you’re in great shape, congrats. If not, just let go when your crew isn’t looking and see how long it takes him to realize you’re not there. Bonus Points: Grab the rudder and make the boat wipe out. See if you can guess which dismount option (see above) your crew will select. This also is a good trick to perform if, during the course of the day, you have accumulated a large quantity of doodoo butter in your wetsuit. Simply crack your wetsuit collar open a little and watch the little chucks of fear power wash out your pant legs. Adjust your dietary fiber as required.

The lists goes on and on as there are almost an infinite variety of Stupid Skiff Tricks that you can use to improve your sailing skills and generally impress the world at large. But do remember that no matter what trick you are about to attempt, always say, “Hey, watch this!” first to guarantee a dramatic outcome and possible TV coverage.

I'm starting to think I want one...

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
Oops, almost forgot…

I'm starting to think I want one...

And that’s just the beginning! We even have a secret handshake and a little hazing ritual called “Jungle Fire” I know you will enjoy.