MR.CLEAN

Not here
New Kite (so he said...)

rstrfm.jpg

Spaghetti!

rstrmb.jpg

Elise

Hawaii
What are the size and weight ranges combined for these boats?
from 330 lb (~150 kg) thru 400 lb (~181 kg) is competive

Any mix between crew & driver. If there were a choice, might go bigger on the driver, but it doesn't seem to matter all that much
Fair enough, on the "competitive" part, but you can be a lot lighter and still go out and race and have fun. We have sometimes sailed with a combined crew weight of 265 lbs. Granted, we have a tough time getting the boat up from turtled position if it's blowing over 15 kts, but on the other hand we're double-trapping in 10kts. (Boat's a penultimate.)

Congrats, Mr. Clean!

I'd love to get into I-14 racing, but there's none that I know of in LA. Also, I have zero exp in them. I'd need someone willing to show me the ropes.

anyone know of anybody looking for a body in LA area?

MadDog 570

The dickhead who I bought the boat from finally got around to cleaning it off. I picked it up yesterday, and I can't wait to go play.
From wife of dickhead:

I'm glad that he finally got around to cleaning it off and selling it too! Actually, Dog Eat Dog has been with us for a long time - even moved to Germany with us - treat her well! Gorgeous dogs in the picture!

MR.CLEAN

Not here
The dickhead who I bought the boat from finally got around to cleaning it off. I picked it up yesterday, and I can't wait to go play.
From wife of dickhead:

I'm glad that he finally got around to cleaning it off and selling it too! Actually, Dog Eat Dog has been with us for a long time - even moved to Germany with us - treat her well! Gorgeous dogs in the picture!
You know you're not allowed in here until we actually see you out on a boat. And I ain't seen that yet!

Say hi to the kids...

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Looks Nice Clean
Good Job!

Now lets go rent "wind" and learn how to sail the sucker!

Cheers Pal
I think I already know enough to do what they did in that fucking movie. I need to learn how NOT to swim. Especially given the water temps for the next month.

MadDog 570

Looks Nice Clean

Good Job!

Now lets go rent "wind" and learn how to sail the sucker!

Cheers Pal
I think I already know enough to do what they did in that fucking movie. I need to learn how NOT to swim. Especially given the water temps for the next month.
So you know how to fly a 'Whomper"??? :blink: Acutally, I'd wonder about you if you did!

Also, Maddog's wife says: "talk to me when you've actually spent some time out on the wire, ya skiff newbie!" ;)

Bitch

Cement_Shoes

Super Anarchist
A to Z
You should have a blast Clean.

For a while I would be more concerned with staying warm after swimming than trying to avoid the drink. It is a pretty steep learning curve. But sort of like the Ironman, it starts off with what seems like 2 miles of swimming.

Of course the One-Design 14 was my introduction to both twin trapeze and asyms all rolled into one. But even with asym experience they are a handful. Once you get used to it, it isn't that hairy but in the mean time....

Relatively light and steady breezes are your friend.

-Shoes

MR.CLEAN

Not here
You should have a blast Clean.
For a while I would be more concerned with staying warm after swimming than trying to avoid the drink. It is a pretty steep learning curve. But sort of like the Ironman, it starts off with what seems like 2 miles of swimming.

Of course the One-Design 14 was my introduction to both twin trapeze and asyms all rolled into one. But even with asym experience they are a handful. Once you get used to it, it isn't that hairy but in the mean time....

Relatively light and steady breezes are your friend.

-Shoes
We will certainly update with stories and pics (mostly of carnage, I'm guessing) as we go along. I'm thinking the first 60 degree day with <12 knots and I'm going out, alone if I have to. Any quick hints for the inevitable capsize other than "get to the board immediately or you're fucked?"

Ned

Super Anarchist
Wahiawa, Oahu
Clean,

Congrats on the new ride. I assume that you two have wetsuits and pfds and won't go out unattended.

For getting started I suggest that you sail the boat as depowered as possible to get the feel of it. In your case that means starting with the rig raked back some, the board up maybe a foot, and the jib furled. Once it's comfortable to the point where your'e looking for power then go with the jib.

Beware of the zone of death. You'll figure out where it is. Weight aft is key. My OD had hiking straps so use them as you guys get used to the boat as in sail it like a single trap boat for a while. GEtting used to a boat like that and learning how to drive from the wire at the same time is a challenge. Also, read the parts in Bethwaite about "steer for balance" which is basically using the mass of the rig to offset the teabag factor.

For a slow agonizing screwed up the tack or jibe capsize then get one on the board quickly to avoid turtling. the other one gets to douse the spinny under water. Fun that one. Since I usually crash the boat by oversteering Rob makes me get the kite in while he stands on the board.

For a higher speed crash then avoid the main and sails. Figure out where the control limits are then back off a bunch and get used to controlling the boat. Technique first then speed.

With the time on the M24 you should have some calibration for apparent wind sailing, use it here and the range of directions will be greater.

Have fun, looking forward to your progress.

n

Tripp

Anarchist
Texas
So, not to change the subject, but can somone please explain the difference between I 14 models.

biekers

Howlet 1B

Cross 3

Etc.

Just trying to do a little homework before I do what Mr.Clean did.

Thanks.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
So, not to change the subject, but can somone please explain the difference between I 14 models.
biekers

Howlet 1B

Cross 3

Etc.

Just trying to do a little homework before I do what Mr.Clean did.

Thanks.
\Hey Tripp, read the whole thread and the links- it'll take awhile, but some people put up some great info- specifically Pete M and Mitch.

I picked up a one-design 14- which based itself on the prevailing boats of the time (mid 90's) and was raced by some of the top guys of the day. It's a Cross II hull, as all OD14's were, and was available in standard configuration or Grand Prix, which had the twin-trap rig and sails. The next step in the evolution of the boat was a big change to hull form, the addition of racks, and the inclusion of a big T-foil for the rudder. This is how they sail today. There are lots of smart people who will be happy to add more if you bump this thread up in the morning. If you ever make it out this way I'd be happy to take you out. Just give me a few weeks to figure out how to stay out of the water.

Tripp

Anarchist
Texas
Thanks Clean,

I'm currently looking at a Pentultimate Howlet 1B, not sure of the year. Gotta brush up on my swimming.

Ned

Super Anarchist
Wahiawa, Oahu
Tripp,

Check here: http://www.i14.org/forsale/index.php then clickon the buyers guide at the top of the page.

Those are the names of the designers. Bieker is quite active and is now up to the Bieker 5. The others you cited are referred to as penultimates, the prior incarnation of the rules.

Spend some time on the 14 class site. There's a wealth of information there.

Craic

Super Anarchist
San Diego, CA
Clean, good on ya. Now get the boat in the water.

Everyone else that has a penultimate plan on being in Long Beach in September for the i14 Worlds.

We are looking to drag enough of these out there and have a class for the pennies.

I'm in, Clean you fuckin better be ... so who else?

Latest posts