so who's heading to the caribbean this winter?

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Looks like we'll be naming storms from the Greek alphabet soon. I hope things settle down for you before you head south.

tfrankum

I plan on heading to the Bahamas this fall from Galveston Texas to the Dry Tortugas and then to the Bahamas; say October or November.  The problem is not can you get into the Country / Island it is getting back home that bothers me.

A frozenhawaiian in Portland, Maine...now that's about as close to the exact opposite that you can be from my sailboat. Built in Southwest Harbor, ME and heading to Haleiwa, HI in the not so distant future.

Aloha from Phil & Kolibri

IMG_2935.jpg

We're heading to the Bahamas in Nov/Dec from the west coast of FL. Plan to stay there until June then return to the US. Hopefully they relax the entry requirements (currently negative RT-PCR covid19 test within 5 days of arrival) by then.

Was in St Thomas about a month ago. Big town was more or less closed but America harbor was like Ft Lauderdale, good or bad.  There were charters going out of the marina every day I was there.  I think they shut back down after I left for Florida not sure.  BVIs sound like they will be closed up for a bit.

frozenhawaiian

Super Anarchist
Portland, Maine
USVI update

https://usviupdate.com/

They are open from 19th.
open for now. the USVI has taken a very cautious approach from the get go, which makes sense considering they're medical capacity is jut slightly above zero. BVI it sounds like they might not open back up to americans at all this winter. I'm watching it and 'Ill make a decision in the next week or 2, not gonna sail my ass 1800 miles down and to not be able to charter and also not be able to visit the islands that I like and then have to sail my ass 1800 miles back up to maine. fucking covid

jamz

I m tempted to say pick me up in Portsmouth on the way down if you want crew.. but the admiral would probably not be here when I got back.

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various
open for now. the USVI has taken a very cautious approach from the get go, which makes sense considering they're medical capacity is jut slightly above zero. BVI it sounds like they might not open back up to americans at all this winter. I'm watching it and 'Ill make a decision in the next week or 2, not gonna sail my ass 1800 miles down and to not be able to charter and also not be able to visit the islands that I like and then have to sail my ass 1800 miles back up to maine. fucking covid
A number of the islands are open besides the USVI'S but as you say who knows what will happen.  We're going but our stay may be limited to the USVI'S.  If I was talking a boat there for charter purposes I probably wouldn't go.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
A number of the islands are open besides the USVI'S but as you say who knows what will happen.  We're going but our stay may be limited to the USVI'S.  If I was talking a boat there for charter purposes I probably wouldn't go.
I’m in Puerto Rico now 

ports and marinas will open this week

https://caribbeanbusiness.com/puerto-rico-gov-presents-new-coronavirus-safety-mandates/?cn-reloaded=1

i believe that inbound vessels still need corona testing 

double check with port authorities before arrival 

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanjb

Super Anarchist
Various

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
We'll all be tested before we leave.  We'll watch our temperature while underway and if anyone shows a fever we'll head east, back to the states.
Double check all regulations

Presently 

“Travelers entering Puerto Rico must fill out a Travel Declaration Form through the Puerto Rico Health Department's online portal, get a molecular COVID-19 test (nasal or throat swab) no more than 72 hours prior visiting the Island, and show proof of a negative result or they must quarantine.”