social media is the devil's playground

Voyageur

Super Anarchist
On The Borderline
well worth reading, in my opinion.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/social-media-democracy-trust-babel/629369/

image.png

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
Careful - Jonathan haidt is one of the 4 horsemen according to a certain subset of posters.  

But thanks for the link.  I'll check it out at lunch.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Innernet hase freede manney be who they realley our, if devil is in equatione she/he muste existe on bothe sides of equille sine.                    :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Voyageur

Super Anarchist
On The Borderline
Innernet hase freede manney be who they realley our, if devil is in equatione she/he muste existe on bothe sides of equille sine.                    :)
I hope you had the time to read the article. nobody reads anything longer than a few hundred words these days. it does explain why we are where we are.

WhoaTed

Anarchist
Holland, MI
Thanks for posting it Voyageur, good read. A snippet, if I may:

”…the dart guns of social media give more power to trolls and provocateurs while silencing good citizens. Research by the political scientists Alexander Bor and Michael Bang Petersen found that a small subset of people on social-media platforms are highly concerned with gaining status and are willing to use aggression to do so. They admit that in their online discussions they often curse, make fun of their opponents, and get blocked by other users or reported for inappropriate comments. Across eight studies, Bor and Petersen found that being online did not make most people more aggressive or hostile; rather, it allowed a small number of aggressive people to attack a much larger set of victims. Even a small number of jerks were able to dominate discussion forums, Bor and Petersen found, because nonjerks are easily turned off from online discussions of politics...”

Really? You don’t say!

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
”…the dart guns of social media give more power to trolls and provocateurs while silencing good citizens. Research by the political scientists Alexander Bor and Michael Bang Petersen found that a small subset of people on social-media platforms are highly concerned with gaining status and are willing to use aggression to do so. They admit that in their online discussions they often curse, make fun of their opponents, and get blocked by other users or reported for inappropriate comments.
@Blue Crab

mikewof

mikewof
I think the problem is more generational than media. Facebook, Instragram and Twitter seems especially toxic because the Millennials and Boomers have fallen in love with them, they seem to use the media to hash out their insecurities and anger at each other. But the younger folks of Generation Z have taken to TikTok and they seem to be a lot nicer to each other. 

The cliche is that Facebook is where people who know each other go to hate each other. While TikTok is where strangers go to love each other. These Gen-Z kids just don't seem to hold as much resentment for their fellow human as the Millennials and Boomers.

Sailing Anarchy is an odd duck of social media ... it seems a lot of us Gen-Xers here, and we seem pretty chill here, with some exceptional times where we rip each others eyes out while screaming to see some tits and threatening to ram titanium winch handles up each other's rectums.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
it seems a lot of us Gen-Xers here, and we seem pretty chill here, with some exceptional times where we rip each others eyes out while screaming to see some tits and threatening to ram titanium winch handles up each other's rectums.
Thanks for sharing that. You Gen-Xers seem to have some pretty bizarre sexual fantasies.  But hey, whatever floats your boat as it were.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
I think the problem is more generational than media.
Insomnia sucks, especially when I have to be up in 3 hours to figure out an issue on site.

Add ideology and resentment to the mix.

Been in northern of CA for 2 weeks, the difference is palpable, a breath of fresh air. 

From hospitality to retailers to contractors, until getting out to the backwoods.

Would be very interesting to see a map showing density of hateful social media across the country. I'd look now but then probably wouldn't get to sleep.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
@AJ Oliver Ollie, good copy and paste of virtue signaling example. You are the fuddy duddy, pal, who is oblivious to the real world. I have noticed an uptick in your posts without magic words which is surely a good thing. If you could somehow drop your basic approach that you have something to teach us ... you probably wouldn't notice me at all. As Mike points out above, the real ugly shit happens elsewhere.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Been in northern of CA for 2 weeks, the difference is palpable, a breath of fresh air. 

From hospitality to retailers to contractors, until getting out to the backwoods.
We felt the same way while in Humboldt county, NorCal. They welcomed us like family. 

We keep going back. 

Of course, they do have issues.