software upgrade update

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I never understand the rational behind so many software updates.
What was wrong with the old one, or the one before that, or the one before that?

Seems to me that every time any enterprise has new owners or management, there's a sucker there just waiting for someone to say "you need a forum upgrade"

If it isn't broke, don't fix it

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I never understand the rational behind so many software updates.
What was wrong with the old one, or the one before that, or the one before that?

Seems to me that every time any enterprise has new owners or management, there's a sucker there just waiting for someone to say "you need a forum upgrade"

If it isn't broke, don't fix it
There could be a lot of reasons...
- Security updates
- New features on the Admin side for dealing with spammers, problems, and managing the board.
- The current version is no longer supported by the maker, the hardware, the O/S, etc.
- You're an Apple products user, so the update is "just fucking because" every three days.

Just a few totally valid reasons.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Some software upgrades are good. The power company for the city I was in 35 years ago, run by the council of course, upgraded their software to a completely new system. Just swapped over one weekend, no parallel systems, just switch. Friend was involved and told me to stop paying any bills and just tell them I paid in cash. There was no way they could check it. So free power for just over 6 months.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
New posts. From what I can see you need to open each thread you like, go to the very last post then close it. Next time you open it the new posts is the standard point of entry.

Bit of a shit fight, but at least it is still there. Sort of.

My other problem is the whole thing seems slow. Typing delayed in showing up, slow to load. Then again, it is free, so hard to expect to much.

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil
1654903997459.png

This upgrade stinks.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
Oh wooo. What's with the GIANT FONT on some of the topics? Are those the extra special ones with even MORE ads?

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
New posts. From what I can see you need to open each thread you like, go to the very last post then close it. Next time you open it the new posts is the standard point of entry.

Bit of a shit fight, but at least it is still there. Sort of.

That's it! So the "last read" pointers are not preserved from the old forum but viewing the last post in each thread resets it so the next time you click on the thread title it takes you to the first unread post. I can live with that.

And the "Ignore" button appears now when you hover over any profile photo:

ignore.png

Old images appear as very small thumbnails?

Old posts that have both up and down votes appear to not inform you who voted up and who voted down?

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Two more things about IGNORE...
  1. Posts from ignored users are no longer visible at all, there is no option to view (peek at) them.

2. Entire threads started by ignored users aren't visible at all - not terrible but not an improvement either.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Even better, some fucking spammer has got lose in the system dropping some ad at the end of all sorts of random threads from years ago.

Don't you love a plan that plays out well. 🤣

Latest posts