SOL Sailing???

DaveK

Super Anarchist
Do we know anything about this hype? Is this another lateen rigged boat. I've been relegated to sailing sunfish lately and found this on the FB sunfish page.

sol.jpg

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Someone trying to get a cut on the Rocket's success? Seems very late to the game and how many Rocket's are out there? The delivery schedule is backed up by 6+/- months so there might be an opportunity there. Rather see the Rocket become a popular OD than see a Rocket rip-off split sales and dilute the opportunity of establishing a newer, lighter, Sunfish'ish.

The TGIF/Laser/Torch/ILCA should only be so lucky. Oh, it was. Hi, RS Aero.

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Someone trying to get a cut on the Rocket's success? Seems very late to the game and how many Rocket's are out there? The delivery schedule is backed up by 6+/- months so there might be an opportunity there. Rather see the Rocket become a popular OD than see a Rocket rip-off split sales and dilute the opportunity of establishing a newer, lighter, Sunfish'ish.
I'm confused. Is the SOL Sunfishish or Rocketish?

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
We will let Xeon decide. I am sure he would be willing to come over for a test.
Fame at last 😂. I would love to come over and experience all that the only western country that’s more [email protected]@lked up more than my own can offer . 😂😂😂😃. ( not even sure that’s true after our mini budget this week🥲😕😕).
On a serious note , does anyone knew what SOL is. Other than a rubbish beer .😀😀

Last edited:

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
In the early 80’s I repaired a Sol Cat whose entire bow had been broken off. The woman who owned it was a big beautiful very well built Blonde who was afraid to steer her boat .
So I made a deal to fix the boat if I could drive it in the Turnback csnyon regatta. Back then, there were over 300 boats in the event and there was a 15 boat Sol cat fleet.
I am a lousy catamaran sailor but the others who had Sol cats were even worse. The “experts” told me to keep the top of the bow even with the top of the water upwind for maximum speed but not to let it go deeper and pitch pull.
As it turned out that scared hell out of her so I sailed for two days with her screaming …

“THAT IS SOOOO DEEEP!”
And if I let the bow float higher
“PUT IT IN!!”
“I LOVE THE WAY IT FEELS”
“DEEPER”

Then just screaming when we took off again.

No! I do not have pictures but she wore a red bikini all weekend and her entire front was burned bright red.

Friends had a great time with the razzing.
And others were concerned she was being tortured.

As I understood it she successfully hooked up with a rich young guy at the party that weekend and moved out of town with him a few months later.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Why oh why must lateen rigs still be a thing?!

Sailfish, Sunfish, Minifish, Snark, Aquafinn, Rocket. Enough already!
Nostalgia.

The Sunfish version of the lateen is great for boats/people that are going to get minimal care and will leave it laying on the beach. People who don't want to learn a lot of terminology and fancy knots, they just want to pull a rope and go sailing, can enjoy it.

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
The Sunfish version of the lateen is great for boats/people that are going to get minimal care and will leave it laying on the beach. People who don't want to learn a lot of terminology and fancy knots, they just want to pull a rope and go sailing, can enjoy it.
Even I totally get this . For anyone that just want wants a fun boat on the beach it’s a great idea. But why decide to race . It’s like deciding to go cycling racing but deciding to using sit up and beg , 3 speed shopping bikes. 😂😂

Even I totally get this . For anyone that just want wants a fun boat on the beach it’s a great idea. But why decide to race . It’s like deciding to go cycling racing but deciding to using sit up and beg , 3 speed shopping bikes. 😂😂
Because in some places it's the only widely available option if you want to go racing. I don't, that's why I bought a Rocket to have fun with, but if I wanted to race I have basically 2 choices - a Sunfish in my backyard or a Rebel 30 minutes away. Racers are a weird breed - they only want other people to sail their class so they still have someone to race with. Handicap racing just isn't a thing around here.

Latest posts