Some of my old sailing photos 2

Showtime

Connecticut
Infinity. John Thomson. Storm Trysail Club. Holland 47. 1983 SORC Class B, rated IOR 36.2. Miami to Nassau Race.

Picture5-3.png

So much prettier than today's IRC boats. Downright sexy.

davidprobable

Super Anarchist
/monthly_06_2011/post-34421-070182600%201308832068_thumb.jpg Here's the legend of lake Ontario, Bonaventure V with a list of C&C Custom achievements back when boats were not dinghys blown up with a cad/cam programme into ugliness personified. The good old days.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!k4E2D69214JBNrjJv7Gmw~~0_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!k4E2D69214JBNrjJv7Gmw~~0_3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 24

davidprobable

Super Anarchist
/monthly_06_2011/post-34421-022929700%201308832255_thumb.jpg Here's some more information on the legend of lake Ontario. Does anyone have any pics of her doing the chi/mac?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqMOKjkE1uDQBwyMBNrCTG6,FQ~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKjkE1uDQBwyMBNrCTG6,FQ~~_3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 8
Not sure which was the worst job on these things, getting the chute down in a blow or bouncing the bloody things up those masts while tearing pieces out of your hands on the wire halyards....

The longer ago it was the more fun it seemed!!!!

I must be getting old.

TUBBY

The chute boggles the mind. It could yank that boat over like a toy.

salute

Anarchist
Thanks Larry absolutely great stuff.

We would run into and race against Condor later in '83 in Australia. Those big kits were ground up and down, then about 20 minutes of packing down below. Yeah, ...... and wire everything everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

savoir

Super Anarchist
VERY flat sails.
My initial thought too as I looked at the pic. not a bit of draft anywhere to be seen. At least not on the Genny. We usually didn't sheet that tight unless it was blowing a lot harder than what that pic shows.
I was being kind. Both sails were seriously oversheeted. Look at the vertical creases through the middle of the main and how tight the foot of the jib is. Check the bottom two seams coming off the forestay. The wind in the pic looks only about 7 or 8 knots.

savoir

Super Anarchist
The chute boggles the mind. It could yank that boat over like a toy.

There's a bit of optical illusion going on there Ajax. The boat was definitely 80ft and the mast was probably about 120ft.

Anyone know Condor's mast height ?

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
In any event, it was a long way up at night offshore, to un-cross halyards after too many peels. Happy days.

Bump.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
In any event, it was a long way up at night offshore, to un-cross halyards after too many peels. Happy days.
Heh. I got to "enjoy" a round-down/pole-in-the-water/crash-gibe while at the masthead of a pocket-maxi, once. that was an "interesting" few minutes... more than enough time to ponder whether or not spiking myself off the halyard would be a good idea if the rig broke somewhere below me...

Yeah, good times :-0

Larry

Super Anarchist
With several boats nearing the finish line, the boat in the center, nearest the camera, was Moonraker (35119). Her owner was Nils Muench. DYC. This was not a Mac race.

I don't recall Moonraker's designer or length.

Picture1-35.png