Someone tried to kill me tonight

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
Nope, all his motions were towards the weapon but I can't prove that was his intention. And he never struck me or assaulted me other than trying to break my grip on him. The DA here in this county wouldn't take the charges. 

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
Nope, all his motions were towards the weapon but I can't prove that was his intention. And he never struck me or assaulted me other than trying to break my grip on him. The DA here in this county wouldn't take the charges. 
I am glad you came out on top.

Please accept my apologies for second guessing you.

Mark K

Super Anarchist
Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Anywho...you saved his life too!

Hope that helps a bit. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I guess he won't be able to keep those Trojan magnums to hand out to Bubba in his cell.....

Very glad you're safe Vernon... I didn't recognize the old sign in name.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Not sure what the punishment will be for him, he has multiple prior weapons charges and is on probation for prior charges so he should get the book thrown at him. I am guilty of not following up on people once I arrest them, it usually frustrates me when I  see what they get plead down to and how little time they end up doing so I have found it better to do my job on the street and let the court system do their job. It is two separate systems for a reason, it is so the anger I feel towards him doesn't affect his punishment. 
Don't know if you have mandatory minimums there but committing a crime while in possession of a stolen gun could trigger such a law and also provide a rational answer to why someone would fight over stealing condoms. He may have been fighting to try to avoid years in prison. Or he may have just not been rational. That happens too.

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
So you had him pinned in his parking spot and he was unable to flee by vehicle.  What caused you to decide to approach him without backup?

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
Well without an urgent need, backup was 5-10 minutes from being available. One officer was in the process of administering tests to a possible intoxicated driver, the other was helping a family deal with their autistic 35 year old son who was being physically violent. Once I was fighting the one dealing with the family broke off his call and came to help.

99% of the time an officers presence is enough action to bring the suspects actions back within acceptable societal norms.

It would be quite unusual to block a vehicle in and then just sit there for an extended period of time. Due to staffing issues we just have to deal with calls alone many times.

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
Well without an urgent need, backup was 5-10 minutes from being available. One officer was in the process of administering tests to a possible intoxicated driver, the other was helping a family deal with their autistic 35 year old son who was being physically violent. Once I was fighting the one dealing with the family broke off his call and came to help.

99% of the time an officers presence is enough action to bring the suspects actions back within acceptable societal norms.

It would be quite unusual to block a vehicle in and then just sit there for an extended period of time. Due to staffing issues we just have to deal with calls alone many times.
You have a megaphone right?  Just tell them to sit tight while you sort things out.  No need to rush the situation.  I'm glad we didn't have to give your family thoughts and prayers.  

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
Thanks Ed, I'm glad too.

If we decided to never handle any call alone the level of service our citizens receive would dramatically decrease. It is a balance between officer safety and the level of service expected by our citizens. 

I have made well over 100 arrest for shoplifting in my time as an officer, many of them alone. It is just a reality that sometimes it needs to be done.

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
Thanks Ed, I'm glad too.

If we decided to never handle any call alone the level of service our citizens receive would dramatically decrease. It is a balance between officer safety and the level of service expected by our citizens. 

I have made well over 100 arrest for shoplifting in my time as an officer, many of them alone. It is just a reality that sometimes it needs to be done.
Be safe.  No reason to put yourself in danger without backup for a shoplifter.  That is a sucky way to die.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
OKC.............

Man.............. I'd forgotten that part too.

I'm sort of surprised that OKC doesn't have partnered cars...

Not making a snide comment here, just an observation...... That's one weird freakin' piece of real estate.....

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
That was my question, great job Vern...or as Rain Man would say it, Vern, main man Vern.  Touche'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
Well done, Vernon. You get to live with the consequences of your actions. So does the other dude.

If I lived in your community, I'd be taking up a collection for yours and your partner's increasing grey hair treatment......

So he is being charged with the following

-Larceny of Merchandise from a retailer- Felony due to multiple prior convictions

-Resisting arrest ( which is the same level as the arresting offense, so in this case it is a felony)

-Possession of Stolen Property- Felony (the firearm)

-Possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony - Felony

Not sure what the punishment will be for him, he has multiple prior weapons charges and is on probation for prior charges so he should get the book thrown at him. I am guilty of not following up on people once I arrest them, it usually frustrates me when I  see what they get plead down to and how little time they end up doing so I have found it better to do my job on the street and let the court system do their job. It is two separate systems for a reason, it is so the anger I feel towards him doesn't affect his punishment. 
its up to the judges, how are the judges where you are? if people ever paid close attention to the news, and find out the history of criminals, there would be lynchings of judges in many areas. these criminals get felony after felony, often violent and never go to prison. in cleveland. even with a violent history and a felony, being caught with a loaded gun, even stolen is a probation offense in cleveland, as long as youre a certain persuasion,

random said:
So have you considered that the impact on Green may have been far greater by shooting someone? 

That's really stupid greever.  Looks like Green is not the kind of cop that shoots Australian women in pyjamas after they call 911.
unlike the cop youre referencing, im sure green has passed his tests. the cop involved in that shooting in minneapolis, never passed the required exams, but they allowed him to bypass all of it because they were just so happy a somalian wanted to be a cop.

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
Understand the need to vent after that. Also, for what it's worth, it's good to here a first-hand recollection of snap decisions made a police officer in the heat of the moment where life is on the line... and both the officer and perp live afterward. Hope to hear that justice is served by the rest of the system, Vernon. 

Don't have much else to add as I will respect your apparent desire to keep this free of the gun debate others wish to make here.

Latest posts