Someone tried to kill me tonight

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
Ah, no. You seem to love this accusation but you've been wrong every time. Did you already forget you said.............................................

Chockablock with forgiveness and hopes for redemption, oh yes.

-DSK
Much as I tend to side against the forum's resident gun princess; that's just Jeffie expressing his personal preference in regards to the perp in question. It's not him making a comment about what the legal system should or shouldn't be like. The guy spouts enough retarded drivel without having to make it up, Steam. Leave the "I'll tell you what your position is" shit to Tom - he's not only occupying that niche, he's got it fortified across a dozen threads. ;)

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Much as I tend to side against the forum's resident gun princess; that's just Jeffie expressing his personal preference in regards to the perp in question. It's not him making a comment about what the legal system should or shouldn't be like. The guy spouts enough retarded drivel without having to make it up, Steam. Leave the "I'll tell you what your position is" shit to Tom - he's not only occupying that niche, he's got it fortified across a dozen threads. ;)
OK sorry. So, saying that the crook deserved to be shot except that it would cause too much administrative headaches is really a very Christian sentiment?

I won't make that mistake again.

-DSK

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
OK sorry. So, saying that the crook deserved to be shot except that it would cause too much administrative headaches is really a very Christian sentiment?
No, and Jeffie didn't say it was. He said it was HIS preference regarding the perp. He said nothing at all about whether it was a Christian sentiment. If you want to say Jeffie isn't being very Christian in expressing that sentiment, I don't think anyone would argue with you about it - not even the gun princess himself. I don't ever recall him pretending to be a good Christian. 

He still didn't say anything about what the legal system or US culture should be in the post you're quoting.

We do all agree Jeff is an asshole?
Well yeah. That's a given. Just not one pretending to be a good Christian boy. The cross-dressing kind of gives it away. :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:

3to1

Super Anarchist
Well that was a shitty day,  I have been away from here for a while but decided to come back and post this, and yes I realize it isn't political but this is where I am active.

I responded to a shoplifting call tonight and knew I would be without backup for a bit because both the other guys on duty were on other calls/traffic stops. I show up as the suspect is leaving the store and see him enter a vehicle. I blocked him into a parking spot and he couldn't pull forward due to a concrete pole in front of his car. As I approached I saw him reaching towards the center console, I instructed him to put both his hands out the window and he only showed me his left hand. I was able to control it and ordered him out of the car, he was reaching towards the back of his waistband as he was seated in the driver's seat. We had a 45 second physical altercation as i attempted to keep him from bringing his hand out from behind him. I was eventually able to open the door of the car and pulled him out.

When we hit the ground he kept reaching for his waistband and I felt a hard object in his waistband. I was able to control his hands and got him handcuffed, I then began a search of him and found a loaded handgun in his waistband. About that time a 2nd officer arrived on the scene and they controlled the passenger of the vehicle. 

Anyways, that is it, just had to vent! I am all banged up and kinda pissed off, the suspect is in jail and I am alive. But fuck that sucked!
that's why you're armed to the teeth, innit? you da man for not employing robocop mode.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
No, and Jeffie didn't say it was. He said it was HIS preference regarding the perp. He said nothing at all about whether it was a Christian sentiment. If you want to say Jeffie isn't being very Christian in expressing that sentiment, I don't think anyone would argue with you about it - not even the gun princess himself. I don't ever recall him pretending to be a good Christian. 
Sigh.

Jeff said (in a different thread) that we -should- have Christian slogans all over the courthouse, because our legal system originated in Judeo-Christian values (or words to that effect). Personally I don't know why we should have Bible verses instead of from the Torah, if that's true, but anyway, does that suggest to you that Jeff associates some sort of Christian underpinnings in the way we should approach the law, attitude towards criminals, etc etc? Then he comes out and says a shoplifter ought to be shot.

Please don't stick your paddle in the water if you haven't been keeping up. That all may have been too much of a leap for you, if so, I apologize.

FWIW I agreed with his sentiment that the scumbag is almost certain to be a waste of our oxygen -BUT- we follow higher principles for a reason.

-DSK

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
Jeff said (in a different thread) that we -should- have Christian slogans all over the courthouse, because our legal system originated in Judeo-Christian values (or words to that effect). Personally I don't know why we should have Bible verses instead of from the Torah, if that's true, but anyway, does that suggest to you that Jeff associates some sort of Christian underpinnings in the way we should approach the law, attitude towards criminals, etc etc? Then he comes out and says a shoplifter ought to be shot.
Sigh.

Yes, Jeffie said those things. None of them is a statement claiming that he is Christian. Princess Jeffie doesn't hide the fact he is a gung-ho asshole willing to put down those he thinks the world is better off without. He has never hidden that. Any claim on his part to being a good Christian is, unless & until we see a quote otherwise, purely a figment of your imagination.

Jeffie might actually believe he is Christian. Met some pretty fucked up "Christians" in my time, so it wouldn't surprise me. However, we don't get to decide that for him. If you got him claiming the religious mantle - quote him doing so. Until then, you're stretching and you know it. Odd thing is, you don't need to make this shit up. Plenty of real stupidity on his part to mock him for if that's your thing.

Please don't stick your paddle in the water if you haven't been keeping up. That all may have been too much of a leap for you, if so, I apologize.
Please stop making up shit and you won't be asked to back it up. That all may be too much of a leap for you, if so, I apologise. 

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
Shootist Jeff said:
And to bents, I never claimed to be a Christian because I am not a theist.  I am agnostic at best.  I don't discount the possibility that there could be some higher force out there - whether it be a god, space aliens, FSM, whatever.  But I don't know for sure and care even less.  I certainly don't have the certainty that atheists claim to have.  And I think Atheists and theists are equally misguided and wrong in their claim to certainty.
Didn't think you had. Pretty sure I'd have caught the "Fuck you, Jesus Christ" at least once if you had.  :lol:  

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Shootist Jeff said:
Atheists and theists are equally misguided and wrong in their claim to certainty.    

The fact that stunning women like Scarlet Johansson and Meghan Markle even exists make me hesitant to discount that there is actually a god after all.  
You can think whatever you like, I am an atheist and I am pretty damn sure there isn't any deity out there.  It is unwise to state anything with complete certainty so that's why I said I am pretty sure.  I can say with some certainty that there is far more scientific evidence against rather than for, a supreme being.  I do think there is a lot of wisdom in almost all of the world's major religions and valuable lessons to be learned from them, I just discount the god part.  And please don't counter with the old; 'Well, I'm not saying God is this old white dude, I am talking about some nebulous life force' or some such shit.  That's just hedging your bet and is essentially meaningless.

Scarlett Johansson is mine so just keep your grubby fantasies off of her.  You can have that Merkel girl, she looks too much like her mother Angela, to me.

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
Shootist Jeff said:
 I am agnostic at best.  I don't discount the possibility that there could be some higher force out there - whether it be a god, space aliens, FSM, whatever.  
Just as an aside, that's sometimes referred to as 'God of the cracks'...essentially as physics pushes outward, what's left in the cracks that physics can't explain is God.

Physics has an equivalent issue when it comes to morality and determinism.  You can get a long way but eventually you run into 'well, just because' and that's that.  That boundary doesn't have a nice pithy name of which I'm aware.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Just as an aside, that's sometimes referred to as 'God of the cracks'...essentially as physics pushes outward, what's left in the cracks that physics can't explain is God.

Physics has an equivalent issue when it comes to morality and determinism.  You can get a long way but eventually you run into 'well, just because' and that's that.  That boundary doesn't have a nice pithy name of which I'm aware.
How typically human to think if we can't explain it, it must be supernatural.  Given the scope of human knowledge 500 years ago compared to today, it would be foolish to think there aren't answers out there somewhere.  And even if there aren't, that doesn't make a terribly strong argument for some supreme entity.

In a sideways leap of thought, I am reading Asimov's Foundation Trilogy and I have to admit, I don't know what the fuss is all about.  I will readily admit I am not a big SciFi fan.  The only SciFi that ever captured my attention was the Dune series.  I have read every one of them including the ones written after Frank Herbert's death.  That and Terry Pratchett, who really defies description but some people might call it fantasy/SciFi.

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie

Sorry, but there is no physics issue with morality and determinism. Morality and physics don't overlap. One is a philosophical construct about how people should act and why, based on assumptions of some nebulous "good" - the other is an area of science that determines the nature of the universe regardless of whether or not people are present. 

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
How typically human to think if we can't explain it, it must be supernatural.  Given the scope of human knowledge 500 years ago compared to today, it would be foolish to think there aren't answers out there somewhere.  And even if there aren't, that doesn't make a terribly strong argument for some supreme entity.

In a sideways leap of thought, I am reading Asimov's Foundation Trilogy and I have to admit, I don't know what the fuss is all about.  I will readily admit I am not a big SciFi fan.  The only SciFi that ever captured my attention was the Dune series.  I have read every one of them including the ones written after Frank Herbert's death.  That and Terry Pratchett, who really defies description but some people might call it fantasy/SciFi.
Psycho-history is actually one of the best explanations for the coexistence of determinism and freewill. That's actually a really big deal is both theology circles and in general philosophy.  Pretty brilliant insight from a dude with multiple personality disorder :)

--------------------

'And even if there aren't, that doesn't make a terribly strong argument for some supreme entity."

As Clarke put it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  If you believe that, then it is virtually GUARANTEED that there is a supreme being or something indistinguishable from it.  Whether that supreme being gives a shit about us is the essence of the theist/deist debate.

Unless we fall into one of the the various solutions to the Fermi Paradox and discover that you're just players in my ancestor simulation.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Psycho-history is actually one of the best explanations for the coexistence of determinism and freewill. That's actually a really big deal is both theology circles and in general philosophy.  Pretty brilliant insight from a dude with multiple personality disorder :)

--------------------

'And even if there aren't, that doesn't make a terribly strong argument for some supreme entity."

As Clarke put it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  If you believe that, then it is virtually GUARANTEED that there is a supreme being or something indistinguishable from it.  Whether that supreme being gives a shit about us is the essence of the theist/deist debate.

Unless we fall into one of the the various solutions to the Fermi Paradox and discover that you're just players in my ancestor simulation.
Sorry, I don't buy any of it.  Theology and philosophy ponder questions, they don't answer them. 

I don't know if it's true but I remember being told that Asimov once said something to the effect of; "Many people have called me a narcissist, but nobody has ever called me wrong."  It stayed in my memory because I am similar to that.

As far as Clarke goes, the mere act of breathing is magic to a person of very low intelligence.  Just because most people can''t understand something certainly doesn't elevate it to the level of the metaphysical. 

As an atheist, the theist/deist debate is of little interest to me.