Sounding out possible suitors for Oh Joy...

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
I put this here for maximum exposure. It's not an ad as if I have to do this, she will be free to a good home....

As much as I hate the idea of having to walk away, the last 15 months have put me into a corner. I've lost my truck (no biggie) and will lose my home come July 20th. The job market sucks here and I may have to move out of state. I'm not looking for sympathy of any kind but I may have to give up Oh Joy in the process. She's a 1961 Knutson yawl, S&S design # 539, built by the Thomas Knutson yard in Halesite NY as a one off version with Solent Staysail stay and a bowsprit for the charter trade in the Great Lakes. She was originally launched as "Sandstone" and later cruised the Caribbean and points South for 17 years.

Here she is in better times:

OhJoy.jpg

and here:

Many of you have followed her restoration up here. She lies currently in Bellingham on the hard with her decks, house and sticks off. She still need some ribs replaced and the decks put on. I have enough Black Locust to finish the framing and will continue to do so. I also have enough Aquatech to do the bulkhead replacement and about half of the decking and will continue working on that as long as I can.

She's a great boat which has sailed far and wide, through all kinds of weather to bring her crew home safe each and everytime. She surely deserves better than the breaker's saw.....

While this isn't yet set in stone, I thought to try and line up interested and capable suitors before a hard deadline hits. If I am able, I will keep and finish her. I still plan to take her around....

Last edited by a moderator:

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
Shit Charlie, that just sucks. Hoping it never happens but Im sure someone will gladly take her on. Good luck mate.

What sort of field are you in? Maybe a better idea would be for someone in here to spot you a job!!

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
charlie, can we help? i am going to run this on the front page, but i'd like to know if we can kick down a little cash for you to help, at least in a small way? don't hesitate to say yes brother.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Shit Charlie, that just sucks. Hoping it never happens but Im sure someone will gladly take her on. Good luck mate.

What sort of field are you in? Maybe a better idea would be for someone in here to spot you a job!!
I'm an IT guy, specifically QA, Web Stress and Performance, QA Lead etc..

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
charlie, can we help? i am going to run this on the front page, but i'd like to know if we can kick down a little cash for you to help, at least in a small way? don't hesitate to say yes brother.
Damn... Not expecting that and not sure what to say...

I thought I had something going with the Baggett & Sons Marine Restoration thing but the investor had to bail... His capital was in stocks and we all know what happened to those. So, no building, no liability, no hustling work allowed...

I dunno. It's against my nature but I'm kinda outta options here...

Nauti-GirlB

That has to be the coolest thing that I have ever seen. This place for all of its fun and games is really a home to sailors.

Ed: If us sailors are able and inclined to support the cause, in any way we can for Oh Joy, how might we do that?

Thanks,

FG

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
i would guess you should pm charlie and ask. i sent him money via his paypal account.

sculpin

Super Anarchist
For christ's sake, set up the "save Oh Joy" fund now. I'm in. Why?

1. Charlie has totally demonstrated his love of his boat, and shared the restoration work with us - the good, the bad, etc. I'd rate the restoration threads second only to Go The Wendy...
  2. Anyone who can get their grandkids working on their boat is clearly doing something right
  3. If I was in the neighborhood I'd be trying to explain to my wife why we should convince Charlie that we are right for the boat. She (the boat, not my wife) deserves better than to be abandoned half restored. (OK, my wife deserves better too, but she doesn't need to be restored)
Charlie, I know you aren't asking. I'm saying let's offer. If it helps, think of it as selling shares. I'll be out for a ride some day!

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Ok, the Ed flat knocked me outta my friggin' chair...

I personally detest even being in this position. I've worked and supported my own self since I was 12 years old.....

Thanks again Ed....

Jose Carumba

Super Anarchist
Pugetopolis
Oh geeze Charlie, what a damn shame. So sorry. Your posts are always a good read and the restoration narrative is great. I'll donate if Scott sets up something. PM me with your resume and I'll pass it around.

Latest posts