Sounding out possible suitors for Oh Joy...

IrieMon

Super Anarchist
Man that sucks.... and as the saying goes, there but for the grace of God, go I.

Read your PM....hopefully we can get something going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nauti-GirlB

For christ's sake, set up the "save Oh Joy" fund now. I'm in. Why?

1. Charlie has totally demonstrated his love of his boat, and shared the restoration work with us - the good, the bad, etc. I'd rate the restoration threads second only to Go The Wendy...
  2. Anyone who can get their grandkids working on their boat is clearly doing something right
  3. If I was in the neighborhood I'd be trying to explain to my wife why we should convince Charlie that we are right for the boat. She (the boat, not my wife) deserves better than to be abandoned half restored. (OK, my wife deserves better too, but she doesn't need to be restored)
Charlie, I know you aren't asking. I'm saying let's offer. If it helps, think of it as selling shares. I'll be out for a ride some day!

Thank you, Sculpin, for saying what I did not have the right words to say. I too, am in. Plus this is a PNW boat and we would love to keep her here with Charlie. I want my ride too!

Nauti-GirlB

Ok, the Ed flat knocked me outta my friggin' chair...

I personally detest even being in this position. I've worked and supported my own self since I was 12 years old.....

Thanks again Ed....

As hard as it may be, it is ok to accept help that is being freely offered.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Folks, the shop, if I get it back, is always open regardless of contributions and so is Oh Joy when she goes back in the waster, regardless of the weather (ya'll know me)...

Yes, I'll accept any help, including somebody coming by to lend a physical hand with the old girl. I really don't have much choice these days...

Nauti-GirlB

Ed, I guess it is up to you now. Can you put something together so that everything is central and controllable?

If not, please let us know and I am sure that we can work something out individually.

Thanks,

FG

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
imo, this is up to charlie and the community. simply pm charlie or he can make some other info public if he chooses. those who want to help will be able to do so, whether or not we set something up.

Greever

Super Anarchist
Rockford, MI
For christ's sake, set up the "save Oh Joy" fund now. I'm in. Why?

1. Charlie has totally demonstrated his love of his boat, and shared the restoration work with us - the good, the bad, etc. I'd rate the restoration threads second only to Go The Wendy...
  2. Anyone who can get their grandkids working on their boat is clearly doing something right
  3. If I was in the neighborhood I'd be trying to explain to my wife why we should convince Charlie that we are right for the boat. She (the boat, not my wife) deserves better than to be abandoned half restored. (OK, my wife deserves better too, but she doesn't need to be restored)
Charlie, I know you aren't asking. I'm saying let's offer. If it helps, think of it as selling shares. I'll be out for a ride some day!

All good points Sculpin. Correct on every count.

Ed: Can you put a link to the PayPal account on the front page "Save Oh'Joy" article? You are a good man for getting this started.

Oh'Joy needs to be put back together by Charlie. No one, and I mean NO ONE on this board floggs their boat as hard as Charlie sailed Oh'Joy. They BOTH deserve to sail each other again.

Charlie: If she can be put back together fast enough can you liveaboard? If the house is allready a goner, it might be a good time to get rid of everything else and live the dream Brother...

Nauti-GirlB

imo, this is up to charlie and the community. simply pm charlie or he can make some other info public if he chooses. those who want to help will be able to do so, whether or not we set something up.

OK. The reason I was asking is not everyone has a Paypal account (me) but just about everyone has a credit card that could be run through a central account.

Thats all.

Thanks though.

FG

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Ed, I don't mind either option... I can post my email up here in non-bot form if folks like.

Aw hell, in for a penny, in for a pound.... charlesbaggett at wavecable dot com...

The boat is worth more to me whole than my pride at present.... Besides, we can always live aboard if shit goes further South but right now, that's not an option.

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
Damn Charlie, this really saddens me. I followed the Oh Joy adventure. I just sold my pride and joy a week ago, so I kinda know what its like but DEFINITELY not on your scale. Wish I could help, but my predicament right now is on the same path as yours.

I'll send some good karma your way, thats all I can do for ya right now.

dubz

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
Charlie,

Very sorry to hear your news. You have put a lot into CA over the years and a lot into the restoration of "Oh Joy"

If I can help in any way, I will, and will email you.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Yes, that was me. I posted it up and attempted to ramrod the raising effort. They had to use Pros...

I was recently hoping to get that same boat in for a complete restoration after I started the shop, almost a year later, but it hasn't happened yet and with the investor bailing, it's not likely to. Even though the owner is interested.

Hell, if I thought I might be able to interest somebody in an equity position in a Marine Resto biz, I'd be posting about that up here.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia

I personally detest even being in this position. I've worked and supported my own self since I was 12 years old.....

Thanks again Ed....

OK. The reason I was asking is not everyone has a Paypal account (me) but just about everyone has a credit card that could be run through a central account.

Thats all.

Thanks though.

FG
FG and others, you can make a payment via Paypal using your creditcard. Simply log on to Paypal.com and enter Charlies email address. Im tight right now but if the house sells, Im there.

Nauti-GirlB

OK, Ed,

I am going to be a little bit of a dog with a bone here.

I really think that we need to have a centralized donation system that can handle multi-currency donations. Even if that just means US/Canada. I am sure that SA has the ability to do this better and faster than anyone else.

Please, please, please help with this.

FG

Nauti-GirlB

Thanks again Ed....

Thats all.

Thanks though.

FG
FG and others, you can make a payment via Paypal using your creditcard. Simoly log on to Paypal.com and enter Charlies email address. Im tight right now but if the house sells, Im there.

Thank you for this, I did not see it before I made my final plea to Ed.

Holy Shit! You went way above the call on that whole situation. (Time, effort, compassion, ect.)

I need to find that thread and post a link. People of SA need to see what you have done for the community & recognize that it's our time to give back.

Nauti-GirlB

Holy Shit! You went way above the call on that whole situation. (Time, effort, compassion, ect.)

I need to find that thread and post a link. People of SA need to see what you have done for the community & recognize that it's our time to give back.

BINGO!

Karma may be a bitch on the way out, but she is sweet on the backside. I think CC has earned a ton of points.

Off Watch

Anarchist
Portland

BINGO!

Karma may be a bitch on the way out, but she is sweet on the backside. I think CC has earned a ton of points.
+1

Latest posts