Sounding out possible suitors for Oh Joy...

Timo42

Super Anarchist
imo, this is up to charlie and the community. simply pm charlie or he can make some other info public if he chooses. those who want to help will be able to do so, whether or not we set something up.
Per the front page, paypal to charlesbaggett at wavecable. com

Let's see what we can do folks!
Sculpin, you may want to change that email addy to a non spambot format.

Time for someone to invest in a small business, we have seen evidence of Charlie's work. It's tough out there for the small businessman, but it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

dopo

Super Anarchist
New York
You should call on the Knutsons they still have 2-4 boatyards in huntington/halesite NY. They might want to see some of there father and Grandfaters work stay around

StayinStrewn

Super Anarchist
Stratford, CT
You should call on the Knutsons they still have 2-4 boatyards in huntington/halesite NY. They might want to see some of there father and Grandfaters work stay around

yes the Knutson's still have yards in Huntington, but none of them are building boats nor restoring boats of this style....plus, you're better off asking them for some $$ to help with the cause...CC, PM me if you want any help on that end, I know the family

SS

redboat

Super Anarchist
Holy Shit! You went way above the call on that whole situation. (Time, effort, compassion, ect.)

I need to find that thread and post a link. People of SA need to see what you have done for the community & recognize that it's our time to give back.

BINGO!

Karma may be a bitch on the way out, but she is sweet on the backside. I think CC has earned a ton of points.
+1

I marveled at the amount of effort, energy and compassion CC dedicated to leading that effort.

He has a trainload of good Karma points due him.

Good luck Charlie

Glitter In The Eye

Anarchist
Charlie...I have good contacts at both CSC and SAIC. I can help get your resume to be seen by the right people quicker. Other than that I have only advice to offer....

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Thanks to the folks who've already stepped up to help. While I'd love to keep her, finish her and sail her around (that was the plan), I would rather see her go to someone who cares than see her cut up like the H-28 a couple of months ago in the same yard. The following is part of an email to an interested party who asked me about having me finish her for him. It gives an idea of the scope of this project.

I appreciate it, really I do. I don't know how much research or reading of my Oh Joy posts you have done so let me lay out her condition. She's open to the weather, which is about to improve after today and that's not really a problem since I pump her regularly.

She needs about 20 ribs replaced. I don't believe in sistering because it lowers the value. I have already repaired the sheer clamp, which is the major structural beam on which the deck beams rest and part of the chainplates attach to on the Port side. The Perkins 104-8M is toast. That was why I pulled her for refit. The cost of the refit would depend on how you wanted her done. If left in the original "Pilot" layout with two straight settees, slide out berths on the settees and the Pilot berth to Starboard along with the V-Berth like it is, it would be cheaper. If wanting to go with my planned layout, which I posted online before, it would be a couple of grand more, plus the cost of rewiring her and the fridge and freezer.

I had kicked around the idea of selling her after the restoration was done for a minimum of 50K. Of course, the buyer would be getting a superior yacht with a glass outer hull (no maintenance, leaks or worms) that was basically new. I'm in the process of replacing every single deck beam and the decks. The inside of the hull was to be stripped, cleaned, sanded and the coated with Sanitred in white to seal the wood completely. This process is about 25% complete. The deck were to be Marine ply coated with Sanitred and rubber non-skid pellets (2-3 mm in size) embedded in the second coat. Sanitred is 100% water and UV proof and sticks like iron. The only way it comes off is with the company's stripper. I even tried sanding off a test patch with 36 grit and all it did was dull it a bit. It's like liquid rubber.

So, considering yard/shop cost, labor cost for my two helpers when required, I could restore her to original specs with fresh paint, barrier coat, bottom paint and varnish inside and out for 27K plus whatever additional materials (refrigeration, engine, rigging wires, electrical) over a period of 4-6 months. The time span takes into account parts delays and the like. A Perkins or replacement can be had for anything from 3500-6000 rebuilt. I almost had a Perkins 3cyl 35HP for $400 but couldn't raise the money. If you wanted to go with the new layout, including moving the power panel from under the companionway, the cost would be closer to 32K because of the amount of work.

Items left to be done: Build new internal bulkheads for the head, partial hanging locker and the galley dividers. Replace or rebuild Perkins 4-108M.

Replace 20-30 ribs throughout the boat, mainly aft and under the cabin sole.

Replace all ply cabinet components that reach the sole.

Replace all deck beams, mostly completed.

Replace deck. Reset the house trunk.

R&R the 10 opening ports. Rebuild two hatches.

Replace the current refrigeration system for the cold box (or use my other option).

Rebuild the companionway hatch from mahogany instead of ply.

Pull the cockpit for inspection of framing under the fuel tank.

R&R ribs under cockpit as needed. Replace the cockpit coming sides from mahogany. (Sapele)

Replace the forward cockpit board (lower) from mahogany.

Rebuild the cockpit seat hatches.

Inspect, test and R&R the chainplates as needed for the Mainmast.

Strip, bleach, varnish and paint Masts.

Inspect and replace as needed the standing rigging wires.

Completely strip the hull down to barrier coat, recoat and paint (below waterline)

Sand the hull (AWL) prime with epoxy primer and apply Alwgrip.

Apply bottom paint.

Varnish brightwork.

Additional materials needed: Probably $300 more in Black Locust from a local to me source.

As much as $440 in Aquatech for cabinets, decking or whatever, depending on layout choice.

Sapele for the cockpit coamings from Edensaw over in Port Townsend, around $750 Philippine mahogany for the sheer plank piece to Starboard $100.

Honduran Mahogany for other hatch and cabinetry work $300 (already spotted).

Wires, if new layout approx $300.

Paint for everything on the hull (exterior) $1600.

Varnish (already have enough I think). Standing rigging wires (I don't have a clue) but installation and a "Charlie" rig tune is included. Hey, it worked for me in a Force 12 storm and half a dozen gales thereafter...

Engine, depends on choices but costs of engine only. Installation and trimming is included.

Bronze screws (pricey) for frame work about $1500 or so. Mainly because some of the bulwark 6" #24 screws need replaced...

I'm thinking that's about it but I could be off by a couple of thousand but not much more than that. Oh, she has two Group 27 batteries, not much of an energy budget there. There's room for more, if I build the racks for them. Any additional goodies, such as Nav, Electrical, Radios, EPIRB, Windvane, etc. should be considered when you're estimating.

We could also help ya sail her over if need be....

I don't know what you had in mind for purchasing a boat, money wise. I do know that most any yacht in sail away condition capable of making it to NZ would not be cheap. This old girl came around the Horn from East to West before I got her and I've had her in the piss m'self more than once. She's uniquely equipped for that kind of sailing and I'd planned to take her around myself.... If you wanna check out my design proposals, here's the link for the original layout: http://s234.photobuc..._35_drawing.jpg and the new proposed layout: http://s234.photobuc...FinalLayout.jpg Anyway, there it is in a nutshell basically.

That's what I sent him... That's where she's at...

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Charlie, I was almost in the same situation last year but am digging myself out now. If you were in Florida, I would be glad to help restore the old girl!

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
When it was time to move my office and all my staff could do was,, let's see, one time Ben held the door open for me as I loaded files out, Charlie showed up with his son and his truck to help. I had never met Charlie before just thru SA. He's that kind of guy.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
imo, this is up to charlie and the community. simply pm charlie or he can make some other info public if he chooses. those who want to help will be able to do so, whether or not we set something up.
Per the front page, paypal to charlesbaggett at wavecable. com

Let's see what we can do folks!
Sculpin, you may want to change that email addy to a non spambot format.

Time for someone to invest in a small business, we have seen evidence of Charlie's work. It's tough out there for the small businessman, but it can be done.
Timo42, that would be sweet... I'd rather make money the hard way and in doing so, make somebody else money too, rather than resort to this... We were within two weeks of being there but the market took a turn, wiping out the investor's capital. This would be an equity opportunity for an interested party.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Charlie...I have good contacts at both CSC and SAIC. I can help get your resume to be seen by the right people quicker. Other than that I have only advice to offer....
I'm up in SAIC's database, courtesy of another fine SA member. I can email it to ya if ya send me a contact email. Thanks...

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Thanks Bob, I will. Antjuan wanted to come for a visit again soon. He's old enough to enjoy a beer now... :D

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
A big thank you to the Ed for putting this on the Front Page... The support here for basically a total stranger is amazing...

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW

yes the Knutson's still have yards in Huntington, but none of them are building boats nor restoring boats of this style....plus, you're better off asking them for some $ to help with the cause...CC, PM me if you want any help on that end, I know the family

SS
That's a shame really. They built great boats, some of the early Hinckley Custom Pilots (Oh Joy's without the sprit) were built in wood by that yard before Hinckley built them in glass. The old man refused to build boats from frozen snot, as some of the old guys put it... After he passed, the family took to squabbling over the yard and that was the end. Personally, I'd love to have the opportunity to build these and other well regarded wooden yachts new, offering the choice of traditional carvel, cold moulded or glass hulls with traditional interiors.

Ah well, I can dream....

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Charlie:

Call me today, this afternoon

I have a guy in Seattle that wants to have help rebuilding a K-40.

I told him that you c ould do it.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Sweet... I have a crew if needed, the boys are chomping at the bit to do some more boat work... If he could sail it (we could deliver for him) to B-Ham, I can get the shop back for the job. I'll call later. Thanks Bob...