Sounding out possible suitors for Oh Joy...

I'm an IT guy, specifically QA, Web Stress and Performance, QA Lead etc..
Actually, I suspect at this point you are more of a boat guy than an IT guy, and people who have worked in IT for a while sometimes are more than ready for a career change...and it brings them more happiness in the long run. I can tell looking at Oh Joy that you have a passion for boats and boat work that you may not still have for IT, no disrespect intended. Times change, interests change. Consider that my professional advice as one 54 year old tech guy to another. If you are set on continuing to work in high tech, look at http://www.rim.com/careers/search/ and look for The Americas, US, Washington State: we have an office in Bellevue with open QA positions. But if I were you, I'd be going with Bob Perry's suggestion. Which rocks.

mbigs

I don't often post in these forums, but I had noticed this story on the front page this morning. I live near Halesite NY and was intrigued by this work of the Knutson yard. On my way to work I stopped at the barber shop and sitting in the chair was T.K., one of the grandsons of Thomas Knutson. He still manages the family's properties and runs a restaurant. He was very interested in your story and I told him about the website to have a look. He said the yard still has all the old boat building equipment and even some spare parts are found in the shop. There is going to be a show about the old boat building on the local cable channel (ch. 21), this coming Monday at 8:00--for anyone on Long Island. Good luck with finding work and caring for this lovely boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
I don't often post in these forums, but I had noticed this story on the front page this morning. I live near Halesite NY and was intrigued by this work of the Knutson yard. On my way to work I stopped at the barber shop and sitting in the chair was T.K., one of the grandsons of Thomas Knutson. He still manages the family's properties and runs a restaurant. He was very interested in your story and I told him about the website to have a look. He said the yard still has all the old boat building equipment and even some spare parts are found in the shop. There is going to be a show about the old boat building on the local cable channel (ch. 12), this coming Monday at 8:00--for anyone on Long Island. Good luck with finding work and caring for this lovely boat.
Damn! To be able to work in there, building new or restoring old.....

Thanks for the post and tell them I said hello.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
I'm an IT guy, specifically QA, Web Stress and Performance, QA Lead etc..
Actually, I suspect at this point you are more of a boat guy than an IT guy, and people who have worked in IT for a while sometimes are more than ready for a career change...and it brings them more happiness in the long run. I can tell looking at Oh Joy that you have a passion for boats and boat work that you may not still have for IT, no disrespect intended. Times change, interests change. Consider that my professional advice as one 54 year old tech guy to another. If you are set on continuing to work in high tech, look at http://www.rim.com/careers/search/ and look for The Americas, US, Washington State: we have an office in Bellevue with open QA positions. But if I were you, I'd be going with Bob Perry's suggestion. Which rocks.
I reckon you're right. I was a roughneck, A&P, truck driver, aircraft painter, GM and wore many other hats prior to doing IT. I would much rather do boat work, especially restoring these grand old girls, than sit in front of a box all day breaking code. As they say, "The frost is off the pumpkin" with regards to IT. Yeah, the money's great but there's simply no satisfaction.....

StayinStrewn

Super Anarchist
Stratford, CT
I don't often post in these forums, but I had noticed this story on the front page this morning. I live near Halesite NY and was intrigued by this work of the Knutson yard. On my way to work I stopped at the barber shop and sitting in the chair was T.K., one of the grandsons of Thomas Knutson. He still manages the family's properties and runs a restaurant. He was very interested in your story and I told him about the website to have a look. He said the yard still has all the old boat building equipment and even some spare parts are found in the shop. There is going to be a show about the old boat building on the local cable channel (ch. 21), this coming Monday at 8:00--for anyone on Long Island. Good luck with finding work and caring for this lovely boat.

mbigs

I'm from Huntington myself and know the family well. I talked to the current owner of the shipyard this morning and would say that TK is probably the best bet to get any further info as the yard doesn't have anything from the old days (files/drawings/etc). As I understand it, TK is a bit of a historian regarding all the boat building that was done 50+ years ago....maybe you can talk him into a kicking in a nickel to this project!!

Hwyl

Anarchist
I don't post much on here any more, but wanted to say what a great thread, thanks to everyone involved.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Charlie:

Call me today, this afternoon

I have a guy in Seattle that wants to have help rebuilding a K-40.

I told him that you could do it.
Thanks Bob. I spoke with him and he's going to inspect the boat (in a barn for 12 years) around the 18th. He wants a combination of someone doing the heavy work and leaving the interior to him I'm thinking and doesn't wanna put more into it than it would be worth restored, which I can agree with. It a possibility a bit down the road....

Thanks for the Ref...

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
A 24 hour follow-up:

A bit of a bright spot, two actually. One is a Kiwi bloke who's been looking for a yawl and expressed an interest in Oh Joy. He also was curious how much it would be for me (us) to finish the resto. The amount and the scope didn't scare him away so if worse comes to worse, she's got a place to go it seems...

Also, my friend and colleague (loosly defined) Robert Perry referred a possible restoration of a K-40 to me. I have since spoken with the prospective owner and he thinks my quote range to be reasonable as well. We may be getting back in business after all but only time will tell. The Herreshof restoration is on the back burner and still in question.

Amazing how quickly the appearance of things can change. Just like the weather around here....

For the rest of the story...

To the Ed and the eight other contrbutors of donations to the cause, my deep and heartfelt thanks.

To the folks who requested my resume in the effort to help me get a job, also thank you much.

To the 2,000 or so viewers of this thread who may or may not have read it all, thanks to you also.

As for the donations, I bought a starter for my mower on eBay so I can cut this three month old grass and maybe this place will sell before the auction. I'm selling at a loss but any sale, even a short one is better than a foreclosure. I also bought the last front end part (seeing as I've replaced them all except this one) for my son's Eclipse so I will have something to go to work in when it rains besides my bike. The rest will be applied to either liability insurance for Baggett & Sons Marine Restoration, so we can hustle some work, materials for Oh Joy and gas to get there to work on her, back yard fees for Oh Joy, food and maybe a storage unit to put the household in when the day arrives, barring a nice turnaround.

The main point of this thread was to find a possible new owner for Oh Joy, should it come to that. One has possibly been found as shown above. The results of this thread and the efforts of certain members went far beyond that simple quest and not only provides some hope but some substance with which to weather this storm and THAT my friends, is what makes this place and it's membership very special. I still remember the effort for Han's family well, not that this comes anywhere near that but the spirit is exactly the same and I thank you for your response...

Charles F. Baggett Jr.

DrinkSailSleep

Charlie I'm a student in Bellingham, WA. I would love to help if you ever need some labor. Been around boats my whole life.

She looks like a beauty.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
She is at that and you're welcome to come by The Landing on C St. anytime I'm there, which should be more often once I get the car up and running or the sun stays more than three hours.

hhn92

Super Anarchist
Tampa Bay Fla
Being in a similar situation career-wise, I hope that all works-out for you and things will improve, as it sounds like they are somewhat.

Good on SA to jump-in to help with such a historical project. Great job everybody. Maybe some action will come on the Knutsons front also.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Good morning people and thanks again to the folks who have help us out.

I'm gonna try to get up to the boat today, if I can scrounge some gas, and sort out the container so I can get something useful done on Oh Joy today, like get the rain water out again.

Next week, I'll be picking up a big enough tarp I've been eyeballing to keep it out and she should be dry once more. Once I get the aft (counter) dry enough, I'll treat it with Ethylene Glycol (pure) to kill any spores that found their way in during the soaking she took the past two months. Then I can drag the bandsaw out of the container, cut some wood and scarph in some more rib segments. After this, I can set in the new floors I made, CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy System by Smith's) it all and apply the Sanitred to finish the stern section. I can't make the bulkheads yet until I get the framing work done in the cabin area, maybe 12 ribs total and a couple of floors.

Definitely plenty to do...

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
I did some research through my documentation today and found I was mistaken about the boat's launch name. She was launched as "Rosewood" She was later known as "Rambler", "Smoke", "Liberty" and finally "Oh Joy. So, if TK from the Knutson family happens to read this thread, he's not going "We never launched a yawl named "Sandstone"." :unsure: