Sounding out possible suitors for Oh Joy...

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Another "bring the community together" thread by CharlieCobra. Good on ya! Hope she gets back on the water.
Well, it didn't start out that way but it sure ended up that way and I am truly thankful it did. I have some options now. Three days ago, I had none....

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
The K-40 restoration is firming up rapidly and we should get her in the yard within this month. Things are looking up, thanks to the fine folks who helped out....

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
It turns out the boat is hull # 1 in the K-40 line and nobody's seen her for over 15 years. She's not even on the registry. I'm looking forward to getting my mits on her.

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
I reckon I'll post a thread for it in Fix It. This time I'll post everything in one thread including updates and see if folks like that format better.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
It turns out the boat is hull # 1 in the K-40 line and nobody's seen her for over 15 years. She's not even on the registry. I'm looking forward to getting my mits on her.
Wow! For sure take picts that will be one great story and adventure to work on #1.

Hike Bitches!

Super Anarchist
Solomons, MD
GTC(harlie)!

Great news Charlie.

If I had money and didn't have a boat made of 'frozen snot' that I am working on myself, I'd bring it to you for work. :D

BTW - I used the CPES on my rotting teak plywood bulkheads this winter..I assume with your restoration work you've used it before, but at any rate, it is great stuff and works as advertised. I have a little bit leftover (I bought the quart sized containers and maybe used half.) If you can use it, I'd be happy to ship it to you in lieu of $$ to help with the project. I even have a new quart of their solvent..it was backordered and I was long done before it showed up. :lol:

Sorry I can't help financially, but let me know if I can help some other way, like sending you this leftover epoxy in my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Thanks HB, appreciate it. I have a half of a gallon kit and a new two quart kit sitting and waiting for the next round. I'll probably go through another four gallons of mix before Oh Joy is done.

CPES is good stuff but the wood has to be totally dry because it won't displace water. I used Ethylene Glycol (straight up) for treating wood prior to using CPES on it. EG travels as well as water and kills the spores on contact. That followed by two weeks of dry time and then the CPES.

I've taken to doing Dutchman's on pieces of wood lately, especially planking. I like it better than epoxy paste, more original.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieCobra

Super Anarchist
PNW
Thanks to the folks who've already stepped up to help. While I'd love to keep her, finish her and sail her around (that was the plan), I would rather see her go to someone who cares than see her cut up like the H-28 a couple of months ago in the same yard. The following is part of an email to an interested party who asked me about having me finish her for him. It gives an idea of the scope of this project.

I appreciate it, really I do. I don't know how much research or reading of my Oh Joy posts you have done so let me lay out her condition. She's open to the weather, which is about to improve after today and that's not really a problem since I pump her regularly.

She needs about 20 ribs replaced. I don't believe in sistering because it lowers the value. I have already repaired the sheer clamp, which is the major structural beam on which the deck beams rest and part of the chainplates attach to on the Port side. The Perkins 104-8M is toast. That was why I pulled her for refit. The cost of the refit would depend on how you wanted her done. If left in the original "Pilot" layout with two straight settees, slide out berths on the settees and the Pilot berth to Starboard along with the V-Berth like it is, it would be cheaper. If wanting to go with my planned layout, which I posted online before, it would be a couple of grand more, plus the cost of rewiring her and the fridge and freezer.

I had kicked around the idea of selling her after the restoration was done for a minimum of 50K. Of course, the buyer would be getting a superior yacht with a glass outer hull (no maintenance, leaks or worms) that was basically new. I'm in the process of replacing every single deck beam and the decks. The inside of the hull was to be stripped, cleaned, sanded and the coated with Sanitred in white to seal the wood completely. This process is about 25% complete. The deck were to be Marine ply coated with Sanitred and rubber non-skid pellets (2-3 mm in size) embedded in the second coat. Sanitred is 100% water and UV proof and sticks like iron. The only way it comes off is with the company's stripper. I even tried sanding off a test patch with 36 grit and all it did was dull it a bit. It's like liquid rubber.

So, considering yard/shop cost, labor cost for my two helpers when required, I could restore her to original specs with fresh paint, barrier coat, bottom paint and varnish inside and out for 27K plus whatever additional materials (refrigeration, engine, rigging wires, electrical) over a period of 4-6 months. The time span takes into account parts delays and the like. A Perkins or replacement can be had for anything from 3500-6000 rebuilt. I almost had a Perkins 3cyl 35HP for $400 but couldn't raise the money. If you wanted to go with the new layout, including moving the power panel from under the companionway, the cost would be closer to 32K because of the amount of work.

Items left to be done: Build new internal bulkheads for the head, partial hanging locker and the galley dividers. Replace or rebuild Perkins 4-108M.

Replace 20-30 ribs throughout the boat, mainly aft and under the cabin sole.

Replace all ply cabinet components that reach the sole.

Replace all deck beams, mostly completed.

Replace deck. Reset the house trunk.

R&R the 10 opening ports. Rebuild two hatches.

Replace the current refrigeration system for the cold box (or use my other option).

Rebuild the companionway hatch from mahogany instead of ply.

Pull the cockpit for inspection of framing under the fuel tank.

R&R ribs under cockpit as needed. Replace the cockpit coming sides from mahogany. (Sapele)

Replace the forward cockpit board (lower) from mahogany.

Rebuild the cockpit seat hatches.

Inspect, test and R&R the chainplates as needed for the Mainmast.

Strip, bleach, varnish and paint Masts.

Inspect and replace as needed the standing rigging wires.

Completely strip the hull down to barrier coat, recoat and paint (below waterline)

Sand the hull (AWL) prime with epoxy primer and apply Alwgrip.

Apply bottom paint.

Varnish brightwork.

Additional materials needed: Probably $300 more in Black Locust from a local to me source.

As much as $440 in Aquatech for cabinets, decking or whatever, depending on layout choice.

Sapele for the cockpit coamings from Edensaw over in Port Townsend, around $750 Philippine mahogany for the sheer plank piece to Starboard $100.

Honduran Mahogany for other hatch and cabinetry work $300 (already spotted).

Wires, if new layout approx $300.

Paint for everything on the hull (exterior) $1600.

Varnish (already have enough I think). Standing rigging wires (I don't have a clue) but installation and a "Charlie" rig tune is included. Hey, it worked for me in a Force 12 storm and half a dozen gales thereafter...

Engine, depends on choices but costs of engine only. Installation and trimming is included.

Bronze screws (pricey) for frame work about $1500 or so. Mainly because some of the bulwark 6" #24 screws need replaced...

I'm thinking that's about it but I could be off by a couple of thousand but not much more than that. Oh, she has two Group 27 batteries, not much of an energy budget there. There's room for more, if I build the racks for them. Any additional goodies, such as Nav, Electrical, Radios, EPIRB, Windvane, etc. should be considered when you're estimating.

We could also help ya sail her over if need be....

I don't know what you had in mind for purchasing a boat, money wise. I do know that most any yacht in sail away condition capable of making it to NZ would not be cheap. This old girl came around the Horn from East to West before I got her and I've had her in the piss m'self more than once. She's uniquely equipped for that kind of sailing and I'd planned to take her around myself.... If you wanna check out my design proposals, here's the link for the original layout: http://s234.photobuc..._35_drawing.jpg and the new proposed layout: http://s234.photobuc...FinalLayout.jpg Anyway, there it is in a nutshell basically.

That's what I sent him... That's where she's at...
Well, that fell through. The fellow was window shopping and no more able to take the boat and fund the restoration than I am to pay my back mortgage. Just another dreamer out there. I do wanna thanks the additional five folks that stepped up to help us out over the last couple of days. I really appreciate it.

The possibility of doing the K-40 restoration is still quite good. I go to inspect the boat next weekend. Thanks again all...

Latest posts