Source for j-bolts? (L-bolts, really)

Hunky

NW Alaska
I'm building a mast head and since I am not able to weld aluminum - thought I would attach the head via bolts like in the picture. Been googling, but maybe some yard has some used ones around. I do have a buddy that can weld, but I think it would be easiest to fabricate the head for use with these kind of bolts rather than welding onto the head some tabs or profile that can be inserted into the mast and screwed on. Sheave cheeks will be welded.
thanks!

j-bolts1.jpg

j-bolts.jpg

ExOmo

Best Anarchist Ever
The Great Void
I dont think that is an off the shelf item especially you only need a few and not 10000. Probably best to find a local fabricator/machine shop and discuss with them.

Maybe it would just be easier to find someone who can weld Aluminum for you.

Hunky

NW Alaska
I dont think that is an off the shelf item especially you only need a few and not 10000. Probably best to find a local fabricator/machine shop and discuss with them.

Maybe it would just be easier to find someone who can weld Aluminum for you.
You are probably right. But it would be a bit of hassle to get the mast over to a welder (he isn't mobile).. but doable. thanks!

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Those bolts are used by Z-Spar. Contact them, it should be a normally stocked item.
Sparcraft (charleston Spar) uses a very similar system, using mast wall inserts to hold nuts that engage the bolts running down from above

Hunky

NW Alaska
Those bolts are used by Z-Spar. Contact them, it should be a normally stocked item.
Sparcraft (charleston Spar) uses a very similar system, using mast wall inserts to hold nuts that engage the bolts running down from above
Will do, thanks!

Hunky

NW Alaska
If necessary you could make your own from a square U-bolt. Cut in half then thread the cut ends for a nut.
View attachment 530268
Thanks cyclone - I love this idea. I do see unthreaded (on lower L part) L-bolts for sale various places and considered just threading that part myself. I haven't tried threading on stainless, but I suppose if I take my time with lots of oil it shouldn't be difficult.

Hunky

NW Alaska
or maybe just weld some tabs onto the top plate that will line up with the hole in the side of spar.. thread them to accept a really short bolt..
Thanks for that! There's not yet a hole in the spar so I could choose location and size. I'm not set up for TIG but do have a MIG welder.. I've seen videos on using one for aluminum - just not sure about it. Guy down the street though has a good set-up.