SpaceX SN8 Starship DTS

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
astro said:
Surely, at this point in human history, there are more deserving projects to attend to.
Heretic!  

We live in a disposable society.  We have trashed our world almost beyond repair, at least for human habitation.  What more noble endeavor is there than to explore outer space and find another planet where we can start over and have a few thousand years before we trash the new planet?  The useless, ravaged earth can then be used as a galactic landfill so the new human paradise won't be full of plastic, fiberglass, and toxic waste.  Win win!   

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Heretic!  

We live in a disposable society.  We have trashed our world almost beyond repair, at least for human habitation.  What more noble endeavor is there than to explore outer space and find another planet where we can start over and have a few thousand years before we trash the new planet?  The useless, ravaged earth can then be used as a galactic landfill so the new human paradise won't be full of plastic, fiberglass, and toxic waste.  Win win!   
Come on! Let's go space trash truckin'!

peragrin

Super Anarchist
Supposedly the pressure in the header tanks feeding the engines wasn't high enough during landing so the engines were starved.

SN9 is about ready to roll out for testing.
I would add that the green fire you see at the engines burning themselves to bits.  They were still pumping oxygen but not the methane.  So highly reactive hot oxygen, starts reacting with everything and the copper lines are chewed up.  Hence green flames.

Still they got to to dead center on the pad.  Which !means everything worked right except for a bit of low pressure which resulted in high pressure boom

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
chum said:
Good times. I used to make my own out of cardboard tubes and home made motor mounts. Once I got impatient and launched before the Elmers had dried. The D motor and mount went through the rocket on the pad and launched onto a neighbors tinder dry shake roof. I held my breath while the ejection charge spewed sparks all over it. Luckily no fire.
We had a few launch pad fires but we never burned anything important, luckily!  

Remember to obey the 'Safety Code' at all times.  Especially #2!    :lol:

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
chum said:
I think I heard Elon matter of factly say there was a 30 percent chance of success. The loss of the hardware was an acceptable trade for the data they got. The most amazing part to me is the aerodynamic braking by falling sideways and gimbaling of the motors coupled with the flight control computers. Amazing stuff.
It is amazing indeed.  

What was the cost of the destroyed rocket?  

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Back in my rocket launching days, we had a few spectacular failures as well.  One kid built the Saturn 1B shown on the catalog cover.  When it launched only one of the 4 engines ignited on the 1st stage.  It took off very slowly just like the real one, unlike a normal launch when the damn things would fly off the launch pad very quicklyUnfortunately when it got to the end of the launch rail, it keeled over and crashed to the ground.  Then the explosive charge went off separating the 1st stage from the rest of the rocket and the parachute emerged.

Did anybody else mess around with these when you were young?   Some of the older kids in the neighborhood built a nice launch pad, and we had a countdown recording, and chase crews with binoculars and WW II surplus walkie talkies, on bicycles.  I knocked on more than one door asking if we could retrieve a rocket form somebody's back yard, or their garage roof...

We would spend hours browsing the Estes catalog, dreaming of our next purchase.

View attachment 413287

View attachment 413288

View attachment 413291
And who hasn't made an Estes bazooka and launched it at the school's convent....?

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
Back in my rocket launching days, we had a few spectacular failures as well.  One kid built the Saturn 1B shown on the catalog cover.  When it launched only one of the 4 engines ignited on the 1st stage.  It took off very slowly just like the real one, unlike a normal launch when the damn things would fly off the launch pad very quicklyUnfortunately when it got to the end of the launch rail, it keeled over and crashed to the ground.  Then the explosive charge went off separating the 1st stage from the rest of the rocket and the parachute emerged.

Did anybody else mess around with these when you were young?   Some of the older kids in the neighborhood built a nice launch pad, and we had a countdown recording, and chase crews with binoculars and WW II surplus walkie talkies, on bicycles.  I knocked on more than one door asking if we could retrieve a rocket form somebody's back yard, or their garage roof...

View attachment 413287

View attachment 413288

View attachment 413291
totally.. was into those things for a couple years.. spent every penny on rockets and motors and the local hobby shop. Which also sold waterproof fuse, which we used instead of electric ignitors. I had the infamous Cam-roc. which was the 60s version of the drone with camera.. except the picture quality was shit. and you had to pay to get the film developed in order to see your shit picture. maybe 1 in 5 pics was worth seeing. I think we used a c67 rocket motor in those which gave a 7 second delay on the ejection charge. allowing the rocket to tip over back toward the ground. The ejection charge would trip the shutter and pop the chute. 

View attachment 413287

View attachment 413288

View attachment 413291
Guilty as charged.. I Mail ordered rockets  from Estes Catalogs in 1966-67 with a buddy in Hi School. Estes would sent free stuff with orders. The free Cloud Buster was just that, a Long , strong thrust engine. In a tube just as big as the engine. Launched with a match light fuse from a homemade pad out on frozen Lake Huron in front of our house in winter. It just disappeared up into the overcast sky. Gone till I heard the pop, then it floated back into sight. When my sister bought the homestead she tossed out 100s  of  USD in old not yet built / built kits. Those old kits get good money now on-line.

My V 2 in USA experimental colors black , white checkerboard was a challenge. Launched at the new City Hi School sports practice field in early spring,. It’s slow take off was great. On decent its parachute got stuck in a old, tall, Oak Tree. My Dad watched as I shot a scooped 22 long rifle at the branch holding my prize from a parking lot right next to the school.  I did shoot the small branch holding it in two bringing it down. The rocket did take a few rounds that missed. I was shooting at a 45 degree angle about 1/4 mile from Lake Huron shooting toward the Lake throug a woods.

Last edited by a moderator:

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL

Had a neighbor that spent a lot of time building the perfect Saturn 5 and had the same thing happen on the first launch.  They also sent lizards to their untimely demise in the "X-ray" payload model.  My pre-teen budget didn't allow multi engine and multi stage rockets but was glad the neighbor kids had them.