SpaceX SN8 Starship DTS

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Had a neighbor that spent a lot of time building the perfect Saturn 5 and had the same thing happen on the first launch.  They also sent lizards to their untimely demise in the "X-ray" payload model.  My pre-teen budget didn't allow multi engine and multi stage rockets but was glad the neighbor kids had them.
One of our group had the 'X-ray' model as well, we launched a big bumble bee in it.  It survived the trip although it stumbled around for a bit after we recovered the rocket.

Like you, I could never afford the big, multi stage, multi engine rockets.  That Saturn model was almost $10.00 and that didn't include all of the engines it needed.  That was a lot of money in the 1960s.  

A few years later we moved to another house and I didn't do any rocket stuff anymore.  Back then you could burn your trash outside and we had a burn pit in our back yard.  I was burning some stuff and all of a sudden I heard a whooshing noise and smoke was pouring horizontally from the fire.  It scared the shit out of me.  The next day I was poking in the ashes and I found  burned up Estes rocket engine, I believe a 'B' series.  So that explained the mystery.    

I played with the estes stuff too. My dad and I (ok my dad) built a Saturn V model. Flew it a few times. It was pretty anemic with the D motor and didn't really get high enough for a safe chute deployment. So we got some E motors. Apparently there was a bad batch, and we were warned. The motor caught on fire and burned up the bottom of the model. We built another one several years later, but it wasnt as nice of a kit as the first. 

We also had an atlas rocket that we flew the balls off of. I still have most of the rockets. Need to move somewhere where I'll have space to hang them up. 

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
chum said:
Probably a couple of rocket bucks, and his stock took a little hit, but he just takes it in stride. 
Prolly not.

Private company and the institutional money backing this play will understand the data they got from this launch was more than worth the cost of the lost vehicle.  Don't forget they lost about 1/2 a dozen first stages before they successfully landed and recovered one. To mix some metaphors: when you're on the bleeding edge, ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette. 

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Psst. Hey, you. Over here. Yeah, you, @Ed Lada

Wanna buy a mortar?
They have some pretty strict rules here about that sort of thing.  It's illegal to even have old WW II small arms ammunition that you can find in the ground all over where I live.  Weapon and ammo ownership is possible but highly restricted.

I could certainly see the utility of a mortar nowadays.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
One of our group had the 'X-ray' model as well, we launched a big bumble bee in it.  It survived the trip although it stumbled around for a bit after we recovered the rocket.

Like you, I could never afford the big, multi stage, multi engine rockets.  That Saturn model was almost $10.00 and that didn't include all of the engines it needed.  That was a lot of money in the 1960s.  

A few years later we moved to another house and I didn't do any rocket stuff anymore.  Back then you could burn your trash outside and we had a burn pit in our back yard.  I was burning some stuff and all of a sudden I heard a whooshing noise and smoke was pouring horizontally from the fire.  It scared the shit out of me.  The next day I was poking in the ashes and I found  burned up Estes rocket engine, I believe a 'B' series.  So that explained the mystery.    
You boy is going to be on SNL this weekend...

I played with the estes stuff too. My dad and I (ok my dad) built a Saturn V model. Flew it a few times. It was pretty anemic with the D motor and didn't really get high enough for a safe chute deployment. So we got some E motors. Apparently there was a bad batch, and we were warned. The motor caught on fire and burned up the bottom of the model. We built another one several years later, but it wasnt as nice of a kit as the first. 

We also had an atlas rocket that we flew the balls off of. I still have most of the rockets. Need to move somewhere where I'll have space to hang them up. 
We use to light ours off at Valley Forge...  I believe it is a model airplane airport right now.   Cool shit back then..

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Well, actually, we never did that.  Too late now, I live about 4,000 miles away.  Dammit.
Good thing. Nowadays, it probably be a major terrorist incident. Thank gawd I grew up when it was still okay to be really young and really stupid. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
My favourite is "Departed controlled flight and entered the ocean" for crashed in the ocean .

Second best is "Controlled flight into terrain" for flew into a mountain.
In my line of work, we pump stuff in the ground at high pressure; and when I say high pressure, I mean up to 15,000 psi (1000 bars) and at high rate.

When something blows up, it is an "uncontrolled release of pressure"....

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I was in awe of the Estes offerings but couldn't afford the price. It really added up quickly. I resorted to drilling out the aluminum casings of the CO2 cartridges of my BB gun pistol and filling them with my homegrown fuel combinations. It is amazing that I didn't kill myself or one of the neighbor kids.

Excession

Long term lurker,doesn't say much.
Australia
Surely the headline should be "DNF"?

Cause it did start and mostly complete the course.
landing pad.jpg

It made it to the landing pad, that's finishing.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
Estes tennis balls, d motor, launched from the chainlink fence at the baseball field...took bravery or stupidity to be standing on the wrong side of the fence...
unraveled rocket motors. propellent ground up and packed into 1/2" copper pipe with crimped ends and a couple inches of waterproof fuse stickin out one end. 

fortunately no humans were maimed or rendered DTS by our efforts. Several fishies were not so lucky.