Speaking of Piracy....

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/12532002/pressure-mounts-for-release-of-whaling-activists/

I understand the cause but am often appalled by the approach....

what does everyone else think?
I agree, what they have done is no different to a pirate trying to take control of the ship, they are trying to take control and demand that they be returned to an Australian port, if you did this on an areoplane you would be branded a terrorist and locked up.

I also am against whaling and think that is should be stopped if it is not done in a traditional way but boarding a ship in international waters is Piracy.

These three idiots should be detained on board until the ship returns to Japan and are tried in a court, if they are found guilty then they will spend the time in an appropriate facility.

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
I"ve had very mixed emotions about this. Environmental terrorists scare the crap out of me. Whalers make me stick to my stomach. Not sure who to root for here. Douche vs. Douche

The Commodore

Whaling in the Japanese style is terribly wrong and smacks of stubborn arrogance.

However, there is a right way to do things and a wrong way, and the the Sea Shepherd folks consistently pick the wrong way. They engender no sympathy and in all likelihood their piracy / eco-terrorism probably does harm to their cause. Their actions cause them to forfeit the moral high ground they could so easily occupy.

I hope those idiots get carted all the way up to Japan and then tried for piracy. Should they be hung, hell no, but give em a slap on the wrist, something that makes it clear they can't just run around doing whatever the hell they please.

bacho

There are people that have the cojones to stand up for what they believe in and put themselves and everything they have on the line.
If they were really willing to put everything on the line then they would use those millions of dollars donated each year to buy an old soviet sub and a couple black market torpedoes and put the whaling fleet on the bottom of the ocean. But for now they do stupid stunts like this and pretend their stink bombs and loud noises are gonna prove effective one day, it makes a TV show and puts lots of cash in SS pockets.

Go Fuck Yourself

Super Anarchist
Fuckoffville
There are people that have the cojones to stand up for what they believe in and put themselves and everything they have on the line.

Then there is everyone else.
That's what every dictator thinks
And what every person seeking justice believes.

There is nothing wrong with being everyone else. Most are.
Pioneers get the arrows

Settlers get the land

Last edited by a moderator:
Forest rescuer activists? When did they start growing trees in the ocean? If the maritine laws don't consider this to be priracy...what about stow away? I do believe that if somebody. Came along my vessel out in the ocean and tried to board...They had better be a recognized military force, or coast guard and announce as so...or The crew would have all right to shoot at the boarders...

Dpneis

Anarchist
Upstate NY

There are also repercussions for irresponsible and illegal actions, which they should face. There is nothing secret about the Japanese whaling fleet, their harvest numbers or distribution of the meat. Loophole or not is a matter of opinion, the Sea Shepherds have no authority to enforce their opinion through direct and aggressive means. They have repeatedly attempted to disable vessels in antarctic waters and this is the second time they have illegally boarded a Japanese flagged vessel.

Funny how you bring up justice, since that is the same stance the pirates of Somalia use. They justify their actions as justice for the years of foreign vessels illegal fishing and dumping waste in their waters.

Attacking a foreign vessel in international waters IS an act of war. Have to wonder what will happen -when- they actually kill some one, quite the chain of accomplices, both the captain and Bob Barker (financial support) live in the US....so the question is, would we hand them over to the Japanese courts. I would hope so.

trenace

Super Anarchist
Ocala, FL
Apparently previous a boarder did injure one or more Japanese crew, and was tried and convicted in Japan. Suspended sentence, but spent 5 months in prison while awaiting trial ( http://au.news.yahoo...ling-activists/ )

As to whether the US or another country would extradite such a person who was not in the hands of the Japanese in the first place, that would be a differing question.

johnnysaint

Super Anarchist

There are also repercussions for irresponsible and illegal actions, which they should face. There is nothing secret about the Japanese whaling fleet, their harvest numbers or distribution of the meat. Loophole or not is a matter of opinion, the Sea Shepherds have no authority to enforce their opinion through direct and aggressive means. They have repeatedly attempted to disable vessels in antarctic waters and this is the second time they have illegally boarded a Japanese flagged vessel.

Funny how you bring up justice, since that is the same stance the pirates of Somalia use. They justify their actions as justice for the years of foreign vessels illegal fishing and dumping waste in their waters.

Attacking a foreign vessel in international waters IS an act of war. Have to wonder what will happen -when- they actually kill some one, quite the chain of accomplices, both the captain and Bob Barker (financial support) live in the US....so the question is, would we hand them over to the Japanese courts. I would hope so.
Problem is that the person/people who will die, will most likely be their own people who have no idea what they are doing at sea. 15 minutes in the Antarctic Ocean should finish them off.