Spike Perry Memorial sail by/race

Thorvald

Puget Sound
I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people thought. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a sail by or race using Bob's mooring ball as a course mark. I'm thinking we fly Spike burgees and/or wear HTFU t-shirts. Salute the Maestro appropriately at the mark. No touching Perrywinkle!

We could start off the end of Gedney Is. , sail down to Bob and Jill's turn the mark and back to the starting point. We could round Gedney or not. Could be a race, Duck Dodge style, or just a sail by.Of course the more Perry boats the better.One day I intend to come by in my Garden yawl, but it won't be this year. I'm thinking some time in June. Need help figuring out a date that wouldn't conflict with other sailing events so as to get more boats.

We know Bob likes to have sailors come by once in awhile and alot of us have been invited to do so. I intend to stop by again this season myself which got me to thinking. It would be cool if this could be an annual event. So far it's just my half baked idea and I'm ready to be told it's no good. If it doesn't work out, Oh well.

What do you all think?

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people thought. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a sail by or race using Bob's mooring ball as a course mark. I'm thinking we fly Spike burgees and/or wear HTFU t-shirts. Salute the Maestro appropriately at the mark. No touching Perrywinkle!

We could start off the end of Gedney Is. , sail down to Bob and Jill's turn the mark and back to the starting point. We could round Gedney or not. Could be a race, Duck Dodge style, or just a sail by.Of course the more Perry boats the better.One day I intend to come by in my Garden yawl, but it won't be this year. I'm thinking some time in June. Need help figuring out a date that wouldn't conflict with other sailing events so as to get more boats.

We know Bob likes to have sailors come by once in awhile and alot of us have been invited to do so. I intend to stop by again this season myself which got me to thinking. It would be cool if this could be an annual event. So far it's just my half baked idea and I'm ready to be told it's no good. If it doesn't work out, Oh well.

What do you all think?
Once she is in the water you can count on the Sliver participating. Great idea and Bob & Jill live in a nice slightly off of the normal beaten path so we don't get into Port Susan that often, in fact I have only been in there once many years ago.

Let's do it!

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I think it's a smashing idea. It should definitely be a race, not a parade. My only gripe is that I'm on the wrong coast, but I'd make it a goal to make the pilgrimage to Washington to crew for someone.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Ajax:

Just leave earlier for the start.

I'd like to see that.

Right now I look out the window and there is what appears to be a 36' Beneteau motoring south with a nice 12 to 15 knots breeze on the nose.

Wuss.

Thorvald

Puget Sound
I think it's a smashing idea. It should definitely be a race, not a parade. My only gripe is that I'm on the wrong coast, but I'd make it a goal to make the pilgrimage to Washington to crew for someone.
Ajax, I'd be proud to have you along if you were to come all that way.It's still early but let's hope we get a few more boats interested. So far it's a race between me and Blackjenner. I don't think Kim will be ready by June.

hobot

Super Anarchist
Come hell or high water I'll get the A-4 up and running to attend this event and will be happy to bring up the rear of the fleet.
Isn't it a sail boat? ;)
Ericson 27 that's buried in the far corner of the Edmonds Marina....not brave enough to test the strength of the shrouds against the covred moorage I have to get past on my way out.

And yes, Mr. Bitches is already on speeddial via the Moyer site!

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Sounds good for us too. Do you know if there is a safe anchorage in Port Susan? I ask as it is about a 45 mile round trip from Shilshole, a fare distance for a slow boat and a slower sailor so spending the night up there would be good. I know there is a little marina on Gendney but I think it is owners only. Edmunds or Everett would be an option too, perhaps a mini CA rondezvous.

Last edited by a moderator:

belandm

Super Anarchist
Everett, WA
There are some park moorings up at Kayak Point, farther up Port Susan than the Maestro's beach - Tulare, IIRC - but there really aren't a whole lot of anchorage choices up there. Port Susan is deep and while it's sheltered from the prevailing winds by Camano, that's not enough to provide much protection away from the Camano shore - which is mostly too deep and rocky to anchor. Hat Island or Everett are much better options, though a bit of a sail. Just a few short miles away there's an excellent anchorage and mooring field in Utsalady Bay - but there's all of Camano Island to sail around to get to it. :)

Chart 18423_15, Bellingham to Everett

Edit - From the chart there's a 2-6 fathom patch off Cavalero Beach on the Camano side right up at the head of the bay where it might be possible to anchor for the night. I'm not sure that's a better option than returning to Everett, but I don't see a reason why it couldn't be done. I've never seen anyone anchored there, though - then again, I rarely see anyone in Port Susan at all unless they're a local fishing boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
There is a "cove" at my beach where the anchorage is good. It's 1500 yards from the house.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
There is a "cove" at my beach where the anchorage is good. It's 1500 yards from the house.
Now to see if the logistics of getting our boat down there work at all. I know we can do Port Townsend to Sidney in one day, did in one long January day...but it's a long trip for a sailpast.

Passport office this Friday, I may be able to leave the country after all.

belandm

Super Anarchist
Everett, WA
Now to see if the logistics of getting our boat down there work at all. I know we can do Port Townsend to Sidney in one day, did in one long January day...but it's a long trip for a sailpast.

Passport office this Friday, I may be able to leave the country after all.
I know Everett to Port Townsend is a long but not unreasonable day in our 28. I would expect to be in Everett (or out at Gedney) in the morning to sail up to Bob's place, especially if the tides are against us. On the other hand, if we're going to do it, we could easily plan a barbecue on the beach and invade Bob's cove for the night. Kayak Point is quite a large park if we want picnic tables and fire pits that don't require pissing off Bob's neighbors.