Sport Shooting

PBO

Super Anarchist
Okay my young fella is approaching the age where in Aus he can obtain a minors shooting licence

Not being terrified of guns as the gun nuts would like to believe, I'm happy for him to take up the sport

Im putting thread in PA because I believe it has the chance for a less polarised discussion plus I need a few tips...

In the target shooting competitions where or what's the best place to start?

I should add the local club will no doubt steer him into conventional or air rifle, so if anyone has been down this path before, I'd appreciate tips

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
Everything you want to learn about shooting can be learned with an air rifle or pistol.

The propellant doesn't make a difference in handling a weapon.

You shoot closer but the target is a lot smaller.

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
That is great advice about the air rifle to start out. Treat it with all the caution and care a real firearm would receive and he can learn the basics.

From there move to something like a Ruger 10-22. It is a great target gun that he can enjoy his entire life. From there let him feel it out.

Some of my best memories are from the range with my father. One of the few sports/activities where he can compete at a young age with you. Especially since his eye sight is likely better than yours.

Teach him the 4 rules of firearm safety and make him realize that there is no fudging those rules. They exist for a reason.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
We had heavy .22 target rifles. My groups for 10 shots were dime sized. My father - Marine long range shooting instructor - were basically one .22 hole.

That is great advice about the air rifle to start out. Treat it with all the caution and care a real firearm would receive and he can learn the basics.

From there move to something like a Ruger 10-22. It is a great target gun that he can enjoy his entire life. From there let him feel it out.

Some of my best memories are from the range with my father. One of the few sports/activities where he can compete at a young age with you. Especially since his eye sight is likely better than yours.

Teach him the 4 rules of firearm safety and make him realize that there is no fudging those rules. They exist for a reason.

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
Everything you want to learn about shooting can be learned with an air rifle or pistol.

The propellant doesn't make a difference in handling a weapon.

You shoot closer but the target is a lot smaller.
You'll put your eye out.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
Air rifles are great for learning, that is what I used to teach the basics to my nieces and nephews. The 10/22 is a semi-auto, so not sure if it is regulated differently down there, but if/when he gets into .22 shooting, I can not say enough good things about the CZ 455, it is a great shooting bolt action gun which also offers the ability to switch barrels and calibers.

Mohammed Bin Lyin

Super Anarchist

The Ruger 10/22 was banned in Australia with our 1996 gun laws, the gun grabbers say owning a semi auto rifle will turn you into a mass murdering terrorist.

He can have a Ruger Charger on a pistol license the gun grabbing aussie hoplophobes are ok with people having semi auto pistols, if he puts a longer stock and barrel on it then it becomes a 10/22 which is a prohibited weapon, Australia must be the only country where making a gun longer is a serious offence.

IPSC shooting is done here with pistols which is something he look at,you need a high calibre permit for anything bigger than a .38 lucky for us the .357 magnum is smaller than .38 so ok.

With rifles rimfires- air rifles would be somewhere to start, lots of ranges only rated for rimfires then he could move onto F class.

You can bust clays with shotguns, here are 2 comedians getting their asses handed to them by a good sort, the aussie gun grabbers say gun owners must have a small penis , I wonder if this lady has a small penis.

http://hamishandandy.com/2016/taking-laetisha-scanlan

G

Okay my young fella is approaching the age where in Aus he can obtain a minors shooting licence

Not being terrified of guns as the gun nuts would like to believe, I'm happy for him to take up the sport

Im putting thread in PA because I believe it has the chance for a less polarised discussion plus I need a few tips...

I should add the local club will no doubt steer him into conventional or air rifle, so if anyone has been down this path before, I'd appreciate tips
How old is your kid? As others have said, I would start with a .22 bolt rifle (since the Ruger 10/22 Assault Rifle is banned there). I have no issue with an air rifle, but a .22 is a real gun and a kid may get bored with an air rifle quickly.

Mohammed Bin Lyin

Super Anarchist

How old is your kid? As others have said, I would start with a .22 bolt rifle (since the Ruger 10/22 Assault Rifle is banned there). I have no issue with an air rifle, but a .22 is a real gun and a kid may get bored with an air rifle quickly.
The kid needs to be supervised at all times by an adult with a firearm license for the category of gun he will use, a parent will not be allowed to have access to the gun safe if the parent doesn't have a firearm license.

If the kid takes the gun out of the safe without being supervised by a firearm license holder over 18 years of age he is breaking the law, if the parent has access to a guns in a safe without having a gun license he is breaking the law, you are not allowed to touch guns if you don't have a license

The choice PBO has is he has to jump through the hoops and get a firearm license or he has to become a friend of someone who has a license with the genuine reason for target shooting and is prepared to look after his kid.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms

mikewof

mikewof

Not yet with my own kids, the girls aren't interested and the boy is too young. But I did shooting club in high school. It was a lot more fun as a lad to shoot the .22s, because the ammo was cheap, and I could burn through the stuff with near impunity.

The highly competitive kids had air rifle ranges built in their basements and backyards. I cobbled some nonsense bs "range" together in the yard, because my combat WWII dad didn't see much point at shooting at paper. But the kids with involved parents were nearly always better ranked. We had (and still have) an outfit called the Civilian Marksmanship Program, kind of the antidote to the NRA, they had a program to get kids semi auto carbines, presumably because those were relatively cheap and easy on the shoulders.

D

Dabnis

I started out with a .22 bolt action rifle at about age 10. Then moved up to "big bore", .30 - 06 bolt action rifle that I would

later use for hunting deer. I went through the NRA Marksman, & Pro-Marksman courses, learned a lot & became a good

enough shot to never lose a deer, in many years of hunting.

Not sure what presence the NRA has in Australia, but here is a link related to training:

http://youth.nra.org/

slatfatf

Super Anarchist

The kid needs to be supervised at all times by an adult with a firearm license for the category of gun he will use, a parent will not be allowed to have access to the gun safe if the parent doesn't have a firearm license.

If the kid takes the gun out of the safe without being supervised by a firearm license holder over 18 years of age he is breaking the law, if the parent has access to a guns in a safe without having a gun license he is breaking the law, you are not allowed to touch guns if you don't have a license

The choice PBO has is he has to jump through the hoops and get a firearm license or he has to become a friend of someone who has a license with the genuine reason for target shooting and is prepared to look after his kid.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms
Is it the same with air rifles? Some of the air rifles out now are pretty impressive and could keep a kid busy learning skills.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2083222695/benjamin-discovery-pcp-air-rifle-hardwood-stock-with-high-pressure-hand-pump

I read an article on Iguana hunting in Puerto Rico where they use PCP air rifles like these as regular rifles are too restricted.

D

Dabnis

The N stands for NATIONAL, so presence in Australia is doubtful :rolleyes:

BTW, back before they went full-political-retard I did the same marksmanship course. It was fun B)
I am not sure how far the NRA ranges out? Maybe , when I have more time, I will do a search on it. Perhaps Australia has organizations

similar to the NRA, or local gun clubs , if they are allowed, may have training programs.

Yes, I received NRA patches, which my Mom sewed on my special shooting jacket that my Dad bought for me. It had nice thick leather

elbow pads & a nice thick recoil pad, used it for many years. Gave it to my 26 year old grandson, patches & all.

PBO

Super Anarchist

Yes, it will be a father son sport. We have a range very close by which is great because so many other activities require travel

Its been a long time since I've shot targets & no doubt my eyes wont work as well although I've still got 20/20 at distance

PBO

Super Anarchist

I like the idea of pellets because I learnt to shoot with a Daisy BB gun...it eventually broke from over pumping. It was pretty durable considering the misuse it was given
I see the argument for a .22 but that still applies if he starts with air

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts