Sport Shooting

Mohammed Bin Lyin

Super Anarchist
Okay my young fella is approaching the age where in Aus he can obtain a minors shooting licence

Not being terrified of guns as the gun nuts would like to believe, I'm happy for him to take up the sport

Im putting thread in PA because I believe it has the chance for a less polarised discussion plus I need a few tips...

In the target shooting competitions where or what's the best place to start?

I should add the local club will no doubt steer him into conventional or air rifle, so if anyone has been down this path before, I'd appreciate tips
How old is your kid? As others have said, I would start with a .22 bolt rifle (since the Ruger 10/22 Assault Rifle is banned there). I have no issue with an air rifle, but a .22 is a real gun and a kid may get bored with an air rifle quickly.
The kid needs to be supervised at all times by an adult with a firearm license for the category of gun he will use, a parent will not be allowed to have access to the gun safe if the parent doesn't have a firearm license.

If the kid takes the gun out of the safe without being supervised by a firearm license holder over 18 years of age he is breaking the law, if the parent has access to a guns in a safe without having a gun license he is breaking the law, you are not allowed to touch guns if you don't have a license

The choice PBO has is he has to jump through the hoops and get a firearm license or he has to become a friend of someone who has a license with the genuine reason for target shooting and is prepared to look after his kid.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms
Is it the same with air rifles? Some of the air rifles out now are pretty impressive and could keep a kid busy learning skills.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2083222695/benjamin-discovery-pcp-air-rifle-hardwood-stock-with-high-pressure-hand-pump

I read an article on Iguana hunting in Puerto Rico where they use PCP air rifles like these as regular rifles are too restricted.
Yes Air rifles are a Category A firearm which means they are regulated just like a rimfire rifle or shotgun with background checks for criminal record and mental health, it's an offence to let someone without a license touch it and they must be stored in a safe.

You can only shoot them on Police approved firing ranges if your genuine reason for owning it is Target shooting.

With the ammo laws brass and projectiles are not considered ammo so can be purchased without a license, air rifle pellets are considered ammo and require a license to purchase and must be locked away separate from air rifle when stored in safe.

The modern air rifles are fairly impressive, a few videos on youtube of pigs being killed with them.

Happy Jack

Super Anarchist
Florida
That is great advice about the air rifle to start out. Treat it with all the caution and care a real firearm would receive and he can learn the basics.

From there move to something like a Ruger 10-22. It is a great target gun that he can enjoy his entire life. From there let him feel it out.

Some of my best memories are from the range with my father. One of the few sports/activities where he can compete at a young age with you. Especially since his eye sight is likely better than yours.

Teach him the 4 rules of firearm safety and make him realize that there is no fudging those rules. They exist for a reason.
Good advice but if competitive target shooting is your path consider a bolt action for the .22

Chosen correctly there is a huge leap in accuracy over a 10/22 or any semi for that matter including the heavy barrel varriant the Ruger 1122/1222 . I love the 10/22 as a plinker but not for competition shooting

look at a SAVAGE MARK II-FVT if your budget is small.

RBNIGq6Og_fd65bf051e926af1bf7f63eb4946883f.png

If you and he are more serious try an ANSCHÜTZ MODEL 1903 STANDARD

bild.jpg

D

Dabnis

A comment on kids: I think, in some cases, kid's attention spans can be somewhat short, & their interests can change rather quickly, but

you likely already know that. In my case, target shooting was a requirement before I started hunting. My grandson started hunting

birds with his Dad. His other Grandfather gave him a beautiful Benelli over & under shotgun, read "Expensive"

After a while, my grandson lost interest in hunting & preferred to spend his spare time playing his guitar, instead.

IIRC, the gun was similar to this:

http://www.benelliusa.com/over-under-shotguns

Not sure what hunting opportunities you have in Australia, but after a while I think just punching holes in targets might get a bit boring.

I really enjoyed shooting a shotgun, totally different than a rifle. You might explore skeet, trap, or better yet, sporting clays.

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
My father started me on an air rifle for the purposes of learning how to shoot, safety in handling a firearm, etc before moving up to a .22 bolt action. I've used other rifles since then, but I don't think I learned much more about shooting that I couldn't have with the .22

Do you have a local rifle range you can go to? They usually have someone that is happy to help out with the young entrants not to mention competitions your boy can participate in once he gets confident.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Okay my young fella is approaching the age where in Aus he can obtain a minors shooting licence

Not being terrified of guns as the gun nuts would like to believe, I'm happy for him to take up the sport

Im putting thread in PA because I believe it has the chance for a less polarised discussion plus I need a few tips...

In the target shooting competitions where or what's the best place to start?

I should add the local club will no doubt steer him into conventional or air rifle, so if anyone has been down this path before, I'd appreciate tips
How old is your kid? As others have said, I would start with a .22 bolt rifle (since the Ruger 10/22 Assault Rifle is banned there). I have no issue with an air rifle, but a .22 is a real gun and a kid may get bored with an air rifle quickly.
I still haven't gotten bored with my air rifles.

Banning the 10/22 was stupid but I'd say a bolt gun is better training. The ability to follow up a poor shot with another shot immediately has a way of erasing the poor shot from memory. Every Shot Matters.

I'm most likely to hit exactly what I'm aiming at with my main air rifle, an old Beeman R-10 in .20. Second best would be the bolt .22 that has been around even longer. Never got as good with my dad's .22 tube-fed semi.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I have to say I got bored with the .22s back then. I think if we had been introduced to competition I might have liked it a lot more or some variety like long range shooting.

Mohammed Bin Lyin

Super Anarchist
Not sure what hunting opportunities you have in Australia, but after a while I think just punching holes in targets might get a bit boring.

I really enjoyed shooting a shotgun, totally different than a rifle. You might explore skeet, trap, or better yet, sporting clays.
If they list target shooting as their genuine reason for firearm ownership they cannot hunt.

I have vermin control-business use for my genuine reason to own firearms so i cannot take part in target shooting competitions, i think this should be changed to allow target shooters to hunt and allow hunters to take part in target shooting competitions.

If we try to change this the bed wetters will whinge we are trying to water down our gun laws.

Victorian shooters want their bunny gun back

The combined firearm council of Victoria says .22 calibre, self loading rifles- off the market for 20 years since the Port Arthur gun reforms- should never have been included in the bans.

http://weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/shooters-in-bid-to-bring-back-the-bunny-gun/news-story/0051dcd86ddea21243b0f7e830b68b77
The comments are positive, perhaps the bed wetters missed that article, the UK still allows self loading rimfires.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I have to say I got bored with the .22s back then. I think if we had been introduced to competition I might have liked it a lot more or some variety like long range shooting.
Shooting paper at the same distance over and over has always bored me quickly. I pretty much only do it to adjust sights. I want a more interesting reaction so usually shoot soda cans full of water, oranges, mushmelons, or whatever else might be around that will blow apart in an amusing manner.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I have a Benjamin .22 air rifle. Packs a punch. Has a very stiff trigger, and kicks like a 30-30. Heavy too. Not much good for what I bought it for (Squirrel control), and it's not much good for target either with that stiff trigger....

I also have a Remington bolt action .22 with Lyman peep sights.... That's a nice target gun, and very effective at squirrel control. I have also got a Winchester model 1901 .22 short, with open sights..... The smallest lightest easiest to use squirrel gun ever made IMHOP, but not much good for target shooting.

Spatial Ed

Super Anarchist
Shooting paper at the same distance over and over has always bored me quickly. I pretty much only do it to adjust sights. I want a more interesting reaction so usually shoot soda cans full of water, oranges, mushmelons, or whatever else might be around that will blow apart in an amusing manner.
Upon walking through our forests, it seems the most popular thing to shoot at is beer bottles.

D

Dabnis

If they list target shooting as their genuine reason for firearm ownership they cannot hunt.

I have vermin control-business use for my genuine reason to own firearms so i cannot take part in target shooting competitions, i think this should be changed to allow target shooters to hunt and allow hunters to take part in target shooting competitions.

If we try to change this the bed wetters will whinge we are trying to water down our gun laws.

Victorian shooters want their bunny gun back

The combined firearm council of Victoria says .22 calibre, self loading rifles- off the market for 20 years since the Port Arthur gun reforms- should never have been included in the bans.

http://weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/shooters-in-bid-to-bring-back-the-bunny-gun/news-story/0051dcd86ddea21243b0f7e830b68b77
The comments are positive, perhaps the bed wetters missed that article, the UK still allows self loading rimfires.
That is a very strange rule, appearing to solve nothing. Can you hunt deer, ducks, geese, & pheasants?

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Kids do paintball and airsoft now - kind of the same as BB gun wars.

I was famous in 6th grade for randomly shooting a BB gun straight up just to see if it worked and having a dead bird fall down at my feet.

G

That's so fucked up! :wacko:

G

Turd Sandwich said:
I guess growing up going out in the woods with 15 other kids and having bb gun wars would be frowned upon today. We would put on motorcycle helmets with face shields, a couple pairs of pants and heavy jackets and shoot the shit out of each other. They were not as fun as bottle rocket wars though.

Kids these days sheesh
We used to have roving tennis ball cannon wars around the neighborhood.

img_0884.jpg