Sportboats racing in Annapolis

Christian

Super Anarchist
Anyone know if there is any active sportboat racing in the Annapolis area? If so do they race one design, as a separate class or simply PHRF?

Any specific boats you know of (eg., FT10 or 7.5, Esse 850, etc)?
No specific sportboat racing but there are some around usually relegated to race PHRF. There are now I guess 3 or 4 GP26's on the bay - couple in Naptown and a couple in Solomons. We race Wanda - a slightly modified Viper 830. There are a couple Farr 280's which make a very rare appearance and a couple of Antrim 27 on the bay that we don't really see much of in Naptown. Some Viper 640 action way down south in the bay. You can PM me if you want more info or have specific q's

Last edited by a moderator:

vox

While I'm not convinced you can call a J/70 a sportboat, there's a crapton of them in Annapolis.

Ta Guys, J70's in my mind are simply a One Design class not truly a sportboat.

I'm just sorting out what I really want as my next boat to Wednesday/Friday night and some weekend racing in a fast, fun to sail sportboat in the Annapolis area. I have a pretty fair idea of the Deltaville area - J 70's or larger keelboats and weekends only while I have some idea Gloucester Wednesday night are pretty much whatever you bring the is PHRF rated.

schmidtk

Two GP 26's are based out of Annapolis. Factory boat hull #4 and ours hull #9. Hulls #7 and 10 are in Soloman's about 1 hour south.

Christian has Wanda currently in Annapolis. Solid race on Wednesday BTW Christian. We had a case of the slows.

Local PHRF rules require 5 boats for a sportboat start so we are almost to critical mass.

Christian

Super Anarchist
Not sure it would actually, sailmbh. I have looked at it, the Viper 640 and Open 6.50. While all are fast, quick and fun to sail I wonder if they are quite large enough.
Problem with those is the only competition you will have is wed nights. Most weekend racing does require cat 4 (which includes lifelines) which would exclude the Viper 640 and the Vx. A buddy of mine did go through this with his Shaw 650 and it sadly doesn't hit the water and he wants to unload it. Very fun boat but it sucks when you cannot race it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian

Super Anarchist
Two GP 26's are based out of Annapolis. Factory boat hull #4 and ours hull #9. Hulls #7 and 10 are in Soloman's about 1 hour south.

Christian has Wanda currently in Annapolis. Solid race on Wednesday BTW Christian. We had a case of the slows.

Local PHRF rules require 5 boats for a sportboat start so we are almost to critical mass.
Thanks but I would not call that race solid - we had a substantial wardrobe malfunction (aka kite wrap) during a gybe not too long after the start which put us on our back foot (it was ugly). Luckily it was light air so that long light air upwind back home certainly was our comeback.

BTW - I saw you signed up for the Miles River Race - you are in the wrong PHRF fleet - you should be in our fleet (A2) - might want to change that before Saturday

"Problem with those is the only competition you will have is wed nights. Most weekend racing does require cat 4 (which includes lifelines) which would exclude the Viper 640 and the Vx"

Also doesn't the 20' limit come into play as well?

I am not overly concerned about Weds night only as I often spend weekends entertaining clients.

vox

I've always been surprised the M24 didn't take off in Annapolis as a good light air performer.

Christian

Super Anarchist
"Problem with those is the only competition you will have is wed nights. Most weekend racing does require cat 4 (which includes lifelines) which would exclude the Viper 640 and the Vx"

Also doesn't the 20' limit come into play as well?

I am not overly concerned about Weds night only as I often spend weekends entertaining clients.
You would have no problems with racing on wed nights - i am 99% sure there is no 20 foot limit. That being said - the only somewhat like boat you would have to compete against with a Vx or Viper would be a single b/one so that would make it a bit dull. You would be better off in the 25-30 foot range

Yeah, that would not be terribly exciting. In another thread I stipulated new boat but since the boats I'm interested in buying aren't available for delivery this season I'm thinking pre-owned for this year.

Dibley Carbon K250 in the thread below and the two Viper 830's in classified along with the Moore 24-3 would all be great boats to sail this spring through fall. I checking into all of them, I'll keep you posted.

Christian

Super Anarchist
Yeah, that would not be terribly exciting. In another thread I stipulated new boat but since the boats I'm interested in buying aren't available for delivery this season I'm thinking pre-owned for this year.

Dibley Carbon K250 in the thread below and the two Viper 830's in classified along with the Moore 24-3 would all be great boats to sail this spring through fall. I checking into all of them, I'll keep you posted.
One of the V830's would be great for here - obviously I'm a bit biased - BUT honestly they are phenomenal light air boats - and we do get more than our fair share of that here

Latest posts