Spouting off in Belize

teamt

Spent the last few weeks cruising in Belize.  We were sailing south as storms were rolling down the coast, with most of the bad weather staying over land.  This one crept up on us from behind with a nice whistling sound. It veered inland when it got within about a 1/2 mile of us.  We only managed to get this one picture as we were dropping sails and stowing gear in preparation.  

20180610_085032.jpg

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Yeah, we got those here on the Redneck Riviera. This one came ashore in Ft Walton Apr 22 and I have a lot more respect for waterspouts now. 

First shot here is as it comes in off of the Gulf. Seems to pick up steam as it hits the beach.

teamt

That is a big one Rasputin.   I have seen two at Pensacola beach and several on Lake Erie.  All have been pretty small compared to the one in your pics.  One that I saw in the 80's followed a guy on a cruising monohull through the narrow breakwall inlet of Sadler Sailing Basin in Sandusky, Ohio.  That could have ended poorly.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Yeah, if you had just happened to sail into that big waterspout offshore it would not have gone well. If you survived, no one would probably believe your account of the incident. It was revealing how well documented this one was.