Spring Is Coming

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
I so miss seeing wood ducks up here along with the Kestrels. I’m told they’re around but not for my eyes.
I you look very carefully between the folds of the curtain, you can see a female wood duck on the railing of our lakeside porch.  Its a bad picture but the best I could get, she flew off immediately after I took this picture

43B7E5F4-13E9-41BE-8C8A-4515F194B73A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

kinardly

Super Anarchist
We get parrots every Spring and they've been flocking around for about a month now. Come up from Mexico and stay the summer. Lots of backyard fruit trees for them. They make very distinctive calls to one another as they fly around in flocks of 20-30 and they look funny as hell in the air, flapping at a terrific rate but not going very fast. Almost like overweight hummingbirds.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
We get parrots every Spring and they've been flocking around for about a month now. Come up from Mexico and stay the summer. Lots of backyard fruit trees for them. They make very distinctive calls to one another as they fly around in flocks of 20-30 and they look funny as hell in the air, flapping at a terrific rate but not going very fast. Almost like overweight hummingbirds.
Are we body-shaming parrots now? You brute. :p Hummingbirds are not a realistic body ideal for most birds, and social media just reinforces a false sense of healthy weight and activity levels. Hummingbirds, like fashion models, live on a diet of cigarettes and cocaine. Let us say to our parrot friends, "You are healthy birds with sweet, normal-sized bodies. Love yourself!"

Except for kākāpōs. Them's some lard-assed parrots, ought to be ashamed, letting themselves go like that. Too fat to fly.

kakapo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
It's a race to the finish line.  Not so many days left until launch, everything is on backorder, and an amazing amount of stuff to organize.  Health insurance, insurance, storage, mail forwarding...etc...

My brain however seems to have already left on sabbatical...

accnick

Super Anarchist
It's a race to the finish line.  Not so many days left until launch, everything is on backorder, and an amazing amount of stuff to organize.  Health insurance, insurance, storage, mail forwarding...etc...

It will all happen. Keep your eye on the prize.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD

Your boat's going to look funny sitting there unused while you're in jail. ;)

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
No funny. :angry:  I have another week IF I don't go into the wrong COVID zone. IF no ones thinks they can pull a fast one while everyone is focussed on Europe. 
Frankly, I can't believe you accepted this assignment. You should have given them the middle finger and retired.

cyclone

Super Anarchist
Maine
Can’t get over how well the Sound ID feature of the Merlin Bird ID app works. It will ID multiple species calling, singing simultaneously. Free download from the Cornell Lab. Now’s a good time to try it when the mornings are getting more active. 

bgytr

Super Anarchist
March is always wacky in the Chesapeake area- a few days ago it was almost 80.  Forecast lows this weekend of 17.  Always a trick trying to figure out when to get the cover off.

Bottom job done during a warm spell a week or so ago- gotta get topsides buffed up and toerail sanded before launch on the 24th.  Got a cockpit seat locker lid in my basement- split open and recoring, hopefully done before this weekend.  Lotta work left to do in 2 weeks.

Iain A

Super Anarchist
Solomons/Pax Rvr
Yes! 

Full-on cherry-popping moments; boat, de-winterizing, de-funking, bottom paint, et al and first splash,,,

Extra hour of light and a string of pleasant days coming, life starting @ 60 & blessed...

Peace ho

P-32 #3.jpg

P-32 #2.jpg

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
What did I miss here?
I'm in lockdown in Shanghai. When I am released after 21 days, the city itself will probably be in lockdown, or at least it seems headed that way.  Six of 20 staff in my company are under various forms of lockdown for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or living in the wrong building.