Spring Is Coming

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
I'm in lockdown in Shanghai. When I am released after 21 days, the city itself will probably be in lockdown, or at least it seems headed that way.  Six of 20 staff in my company are under various forms of lockdown for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or living in the wrong building.  
There's a Tom Waits song in there someplace....

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I'm in lockdown in Shanghai. When I am released after 21 days, the city itself will probably be in lockdown, or at least it seems headed that way.  Six of 20 staff in my company are under various forms of lockdown for being in the wrong place at the wrong time or living in the wrong building.  
Wrong country... :)

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
It will all happen. Keep your eye on the prize.
Yes, yes, and yes.  There are many, many bumps, hurdles, apparent insolvencies, discouragements, unforeseen circumstances and sometimes just plain bullshit along the way! :).

I’m dealing with a few of those now in the hard work stage, after the the figuring out stage - but I did just order a new sail, a drifter, a fun way to spend several thousand dollars.  Someone else is doing all the work this time :)

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
Wrong country... :)
I’ve lived here three times in two different cities. I first came here in 1994. That China is long gone. It was good. I even had a Weta tri on a lake one time. We did some fun things before they got popular or restricted like visit the grottos in Dun Huang and attended the opening of the Olympics in ‘08.  I’m a history buff, so it’s fun, and sometimes a disappointment, to see the things you read about in class. 

I’m not a fan of big city living and COVID is making a mess. Three times is enough for me. I can’t imagine I’ll ever be back. 

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I’ve lived here three times in two different cities. I first came here in 1994. That China is long gone. It was good. I even had a Weta tri on a lake one time. We did some fun things before they got popular or restricted like visit the grottos in Dun Huang and attended the opening of the Olympics in ‘08.  I’m a history buff, so it’s fun, and sometimes a disappointment, to see the things you read about in class. 

I’m not a fan of big city living and COVID is making a mess. Three times is enough for me. I can’t imagine I’ll ever be back. 
I lived in Japan almost four years, traveled to Korea, but never made it to China...no time.  But a friend and I had a plan to take the “ferry” from Osaka to Shanghai with our mtn bikes and cycle to Singapore.   Probably good we didn’t attempt it :)

Yeah, I’m with you on big city living.  I feel blessed to live on an island, with easy access to a city, but also easy retreat well away from it, which makes it quickly vanish from my consciousness...

First I’m hearing of covid lockdowns in China - holy shit.

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
I lived in Japan almost four years, traveled to Korea, but never made it to China...no time.  But a friend and I had a plan to take the “ferry” from Osaka to Shanghai with our mtn bikes and cycle to Singapore.   Probably good we didn’t attempt it :)

Yeah, I’m with you on big city living.  I feel blessed to live on an island, with easy access to a city, but also easy retreat well away from it, which makes it quickly vanish from my consciousness...

First I’m hearing of covid lockdowns in China - holy shit.
I really enjoyed my time living in Korea, though I have to say that it improved greatly in the 2010's. It used to be a really gritty city.  I enjoyed living in Hong Kong and especially Taiwan and Singapore for almost opposite reasons.  Taiwan is great living, and in Singapore we enjoyed good sailing. I bought a sport boat and raced it with my family and my kids participated in the national sailing program.

Anyway, on holiday back in the states in 2009 I picked up a copy of Beth Leonard's book, I thought to myself I really want to this, and if I do really want to do this, I'd best get my finger out now.  So after some looking, I bought a boat surveyed, (reputable surveyor and CCA member), but sight unseen, in 2011.  I watched the survey on the harbor cam at the yard from Singapore. I still have a screen shot of the boat in the slings. Not the smartest start. I most certainly over paid. When I showed up, I found she stank of diesel, the bilge was full of oil, there were lots of leaks, almost flat batteries. ...etc... Plus, she was loaded to the gills with a metric shitte tonne kit from the PO's PO.  Everything was top of the line stuff from 1997, but used hard and then left to rot from 2002.  I even found a half melted chart of the N Atlantic in the bilge.  I think I raised the waterline at least 3-4" once I got all the stuff off.  Then we delivered her to Maine to refit. Possibly mistake No. 2, but at that time I had no idea.  Maine yards were still transitioning from building to service and the rates at a top of the line Maine yard were cheaper than a guy who never answered his phone in RI and for whom ABYC was a vague regulatory hassle. Might still be true. The yards were still suffering from the aftermath of 2008 and were willing to take on small vessels like mine. Today that's probably no longer true. 

Of course, on the delivery to Maine we ran into a big windline on Buzzard's Bay as soon as we turned north and spent the day bashing against the tide. and wind. There was a moment of panic when the stuffing box leaked, but look at those grins. 

80B22F91-B0FA-4021-BF73-379B6630E324_1_105_c.jpeg

A moment later after I took this picture, I noticed we were sailing past the last buoy at the Hen and Chickens, and I want to say that I saw the wreck there, streaming in the seas looking like it was charging up the bay, but that is likely an unreliable memory.  We did make it to Sippican for the evening without sinking or hitting anything.  The next morning we topped up the fuel at Burr Brothers. Some older guy really know how to make us feel good by making some comment like, "looks like you're headed to Bermuda".  I then almost stalled then engine while backing up into a dock full of some very nice looking boats, but pulled off a 270 to get out of there without hitting anything. 

We went through the canal at first light and headed up to Maine in a light breeze northwest breeze.  I'll never forget the next morning off of Jeffries ledge.  I had the morning watch.  Everyone was asleep. The boat was quietly going to windward with the monitor driving as the sun came up. Sure, the boat was kind of a mess, but it really felt good. This is where we were supposed to be all along.  Finally.  I had no idea of what was to come over the next ten years.  Good thing, too. 

02142960-5D73-447B-BF73-97EF9992BC02_1_105_c.jpeg

3D4E19B3-CF9B-4B56-AAD7-9183FB61BAC3_1_105_c.jpeg

After I took the gudgeon off and cleaned the fuel tank, I realized how lucky we had been to get such benign conditions.   

Last edited by a moderator:

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Spring is almost here, and Daylight Time has already arrived. I started a thread in General Anarchy about it. I was going to start it in CA, but I was concerned that some might say it was political. I don't think it is yet, but it's probably only a matter of time. Any how, have a look:

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
I really enjoyed my time living in Korea, though I have to say that it improved greatly in the 2010's. It used to be a really gritty city.  I enjoyed living in Hong Kong and especially Taiwan and Singapore for almost opposite reasons.  Taiwan is great living, and in Singapore we enjoyed good sailing. I bought a sport boat and raced it with my family and my kids participated in the national sailing program.

Anyway, on holiday back in the states in 2009 I picked up a copy of Beth Leonard's book, I thought to myself I really want to this, and if I do really want to do this, I'd best get my finger out now.  So after some looking, I bought a boat surveyed, (reputable surveyor and CCA member), but sight unseen, in 2011.  I watched the survey on the harbor cam at the yard from Singapore. I still have a screen shot of the boat in the slings. Not the smartest start. I most certainly over paid. When I showed up, I found she stank of diesel, the bilge was full of oil, there were lots of leaks, almost flat batteries. ...etc... Plus, she was loaded to the gills with a metric shitte tonne kit from the PO's PO.  Everything was top of the line stuff from 1997, but used hard and then left to rot from 2002.  I even found a half melted chart of the N Atlantic in the bilge.  I think I raised the waterline at least 3-4" once I got all the stuff off.  Then we delivered her to Maine to refit. Possibly mistake No. 2, but at that time I had no idea.  Maine yards were still transitioning from building to service and the rates at a top of the line Maine yard were cheaper than a guy who never answered his phone in RI and for whom ABYC was a vague regulatory hassle. Might still be true. The yards were still suffering from the aftermath of 2008 and were willing to take on small vessels like mine. Today that's probably no longer true. 

Of course, on the delivery to Maine we ran into a big windline on Buzzard's Bay as soon as we turned north and spent the day bashing against the tide. and wind. There was a moment of panic when the stuffing box leaked, but look at those grins. 

View attachment 497965

A moment later after I took this picture, I noticed we were sailing past the last buoy at the Hen and Chickens, and I want to say that I saw the wreck there, streaming in the seas looking like it was charging up the bay, but that is likely an unreliable memory.  We did make it to Sippican for the evening without sinking or hitting anything.  The next morning we topped up the fuel at Burr Brothers. Some older guy really know how to make us feel good by making some comment like, "looks like you're headed to Bermuda".  I then almost stalled then engine while backing up into a dock full of some very nice looking boats, but pulled off a 270 to get out of there without hitting anything. 

We went through the canal at first light and headed up to Maine in a light breeze northwest breeze.  I'll never forget the next morning off of Jeffries ledge.  I had the morning watch.  Everyone was asleep. The boat was quietly going to windward with the monitor driving as the sun came up. Sure, the boat was kind of a mess, but it really felt good. This is where we were supposed to be all along.  Finally.  I had no idea of what was to come over the next ten years.  Good thing, too. 

View attachment 497966

View attachment 497967

After I took the gudgeon off and cleaned the fuel tank, I realized how lucky we had been to get such benign conditions.   
Great story!

My one trip north from Cape Cod Bay left us in Ptown harbor for 2 days ducking a noreaster, then a 10 hour motor on glassy calm water to Isles of Shoals for perhaps one of the finest evenings dining in the cockpit ever. It didn't hurt that neighbors kept rowing by complimenting our boat though.

I just did an inventory of frozen picked lobster meat left over from last summer. I couldn't decide whether to get a lobster license this summer or not since we had so much left over from last year. Down to about 16 lbs left, guess I better get that license after all. Looks like I'll have some fresh if you seek shelter in the Basin this year! The oyster farm is gone but I planted several thousand on the bottom in a secret spot, so there's that too.

Best of luck getting up here!

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
Great story!

My one trip north from Cape Cod Bay left us in Ptown harbor for 2 days ducking a noreaster, then a 10 hour motor on glassy calm water to Isles of Shoals for perhaps one of the finest evenings dining in the cockpit ever. It didn't hurt that neighbors kept rowing by complimenting our boat though.

I just did an inventory of frozen picked lobster meat left over from last summer. I couldn't decide whether to get a lobster license this summer or not since we had so much left over from last year. Down to about 16 lbs left, guess I better get that license after all. Looks like I'll have some fresh if you seek shelter in the Basin this year! The oyster farm is gone but I planted several thousand on the bottom in a secret spot, so there's that too.

Best of luck getting up here!
Dude, picked lobster is priced like gold these days. You are sitting on a treasure. Sorry to hear about the oyster farm, but glad you have a stash. I figure we're due for at least one trip into Casco before we shove off.  We'll be sure to give you a bell :D  

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Fishermen have it to themselves now. No frikkin yachts in the harbor, they can run full throttle right to the bait landing.  Record landing last season they’re champing at the bit. 

C7FA718E-946F-4D0E-A3D9-A5FFB872A6E3.jpeg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Is that the building that used to house Shepherds Pie? Man, they had awesome shrimp tacos there for not too much $.  Everything good and cheap goes away!
Close. Two lots up was Shepards Pie, now 18 Central, a raw bar restaurant. The building in the photo has Nina June, Tuscan fare (which she has background, exceptional food), and a coffee/breakfast place. 

In between and under construction (and local litigation) is the Rockport Harbor Hotel, a boutique hotel that will also have an 80 seat restaurant and a bar, also with harbor views. 

Now you can come into Rockport and get fed and hammered, in three adjoining places. 

There used to a restaurant in the red building called the Sail Loft. The food business is tricky, especially in the new world, post covid. 

Rockport Harbor dusk MJ.jpg

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Springtime in Louisiana, rain so heavy you cannot see across the cove.  Flood warnings, tornado watches and severe thunderstorm warnings.  Won’t be any boatwork or outdoor cycling training today.  

image.gif

mckenzie.keith

Aspiring Anarchist
Santa Cruz
Yikes. Being locked down in a foreign country is one of my nightmares. I used to go back and forth between HK and Shenzhen. I always wondered what would happen if I got stuck in no-man's land on the bridge at that one crossing (I don't think it is used much anymore). You check out of China then walk for quite a while across an enclosed pedestrian bridge then you enter HK. What would happen if neither country would let you in? Would you just have to stay on the bridge forever?

Elegua

Generalissimo
Lower Loslobia
Yikes. Being locked down in a foreign country is one of my nightmares. I used to go back and forth between HK and Shenzhen. I always wondered what would happen if I got stuck in no-man's land on the bridge at that one crossing (I don't think it is used much anymore). You check out of China then walk for quite a while across an enclosed pedestrian bridge then you enter HK. What would happen if neither country would let you in? Would you just have to stay on the bridge forever?
You're already in the shit with that bolded statement.  :lol:    

Being in lockdown just takes away any pretenses. You get tested every 48hrs if you want to go anywhere in the city. You also need a green health code and travel code. I can't get the travel code because I don't have a local phone. Testing positive means a trip to COVID camp if you don't have a Shanghai residence.  Not many here on a business visa.  Actually 20 of 29 staff are on lock down. My entire facility in SZ is on lockdown and I can't get any of the candidates I need to interview into the city nor can I visit most of the facilities I need to see as the district they are in is locked down. In all, this was a silly trip as I predicted before I left.  The city is a ghost town. 

Still, can't lockdown the ice cream. 

IMG_0546.jpeg