Spring Is Coming

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Launch day tomorrow morning..

Toerail sanded, hull buffed, bottom done, fresh gold on the cove stripe.  Lotta work in the last week, my body feels like I've been through boot camp!

More work on other teak when she's in the water- boat work never ends...

20220322_174932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I hear an owner-applied Alexseal job is pretty satisfying...

I'm in the same (but different) boat as you, but, being white, my topsides still look good from afar.
I'm debating between my standing rigging and painting the topsides as the next big project.  There is nothing obviously wrong with my rigging, it's just old. You've heard all the arguments for replacing SS rigging so no need to elaborate further. 

bgytr

Super Anarchist
I'm debating between my standing rigging and painting the topsides as the next big project.  There is nothing obviously wrong with my rigging, it's just old. You've heard all the arguments for replacing SS rigging so no need to elaborate further
I'm almost finished with my standing rigging replacement, just left is the backstay. We'll probably have that replaced in the next month or two. My Rod rigging was original to the boat over 40 years old.

My paint job is barely passable. It's an old awlgrip job with lots of scratches.  Looks ok from 2 or more boatlenghts.

Elegua

Generalissimo
I'm in the middle of replacing my standing rigging and gooseneck. I don't know the age. Might be 1996. Might be 2006. 

I'd love to fix my old awlgrip, but not in the budget this year. It's passable at 10'.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Doing an experiment thought you guys might be interested... I melted surfboard wax and painted it on the prop blades as a poor man's propspeed coating.  Will see how it works out.  I might be going for a swim with the scraper soon!

20220323_093405.jpg

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I'm almost finished with my standing rigging replacement, just left is the backstay. We'll probably have that replaced in the next month or two. My Rod rigging was original to the boat over 40 years old.

My paint job is barely passable. It's an old awlgrip job with lots of scratches.  Looks ok from 2 or more boatlenghts.
I'm gratified to hear that I'm not the only person who replaces the rigging piecemeal instead of all at once.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I've had surprisingly good results with Petit zinc prop spray even in the Chesapeake's warm water. It lasts a solid year if properly applied.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
High as she'll go in the slings getting centerboard re-surfaced.  Will have to do the last bit of the centerboard over the water so it can be fully lowered

20220323_114739.jpg

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I don't recall (if I ever knew) what's in it, but perhaps the small, exorbitantly expensive can of "transducer paint" would also serve for plastic props?