Spring Is Coming

Iain A

Super Anarchist
Solomons/Pax Rvr
thought it was Zeppelin III... "bgytr" easy entry on the Kb, always think Bull Gator when I see it...

30 last night low twenties tonight, still ant-freeze in the boat, procrastination at its finest. Water's back on at the yard...

cheers

Elegua

Generalissimo
It's funny. My first and only time in the Oriental Pearl Tower was in 1995.  I was fresh out of school and working my first real job.  Pudong at that time was a mudflat.  No one was there.  None of the building in the picture were there.  Pudong was somewhere if a taxi driver were to take you, you might want to get out of the car for fear of getting robbed.  That day it was myself, the company driver and a local official.  We were wining and dining him to get a second set of plates for the company car. The factory I was setting up was in Jing Shan, which at that point was a small farming village, not yet incorporated into Shanghai City.  We were one of the first factories there. I needed two sets of plates with matching travel permits, odd and even, to enter into the city every day of the week.  This was before the days of the elevated highways and construction on the subway had just begun.  Non-Shanghai city cars were restricted to even and odd days to enter the city. There are still restrictions, but they are managed differently today. 

Again today, there are no people here, but for a very different reason.   We are locked down, only let outside to get tested.  Before the lockdown the walkway on the East side is now extended so far North as to almost reach the navy dockyards.  I can look across and see the Customs building where I spent so much time negotiating duties on things like technical service fees. The city is several orders of magnitude more wealthy than 1995, but it feels in some ways like I’ve gone back in time.  Over the years I’ve had a lot of false alarms about being, "done", with China, “for good”, but I think this time it might actually be true. It’s been a trip for sure. 

IMG_0576.jpeg

Noon at lunch. A ghost town due to lockdown.  No one gets to the West side of the city and vice-versa. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Iain A

Super Anarchist
Solomons/Pax Rvr
Spring is dragging its heels, 19°F with snow squalls at the moment…..tired of this abuse. 
Ouch!

No mess with a garden anymore, not worth fighting the white-tail, trip to buy groceries and I ended up with early season plants... 25 degrees and 35 knot gusts, improvised

pro1.jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
It's funny. My first and only time in the Oriental Pearl Tower was in 1995.  I was fresh out of school and working my first real job.  Pudong at that time was a mudflat.  No one was there.  None of the building in the picture were there.  Pudong was somewhere if a taxi driver were to take you, you might want to get out of the car for fear of getting robbed.  That day it was myself, the company driver and a local official.  We were wining and dining him to get a second set of plates for the company car. The factory I was setting up was in Jing Shan, which at that point was a small farming village, not yet incorporated into Shanghai City.  We were one of the first factories there. I needed two sets of plates with matching travel permits, odd and even, to enter into the city every day of the week.  This was before the days of the elevated highways and construction on the subway had just begun.  Non-Shanghai city cars were restricted to even and odd days to enter the city. There are still restrictions, but they are managed differently today. 

Again today, there are no people here, but for a very different reason.   We are locked down, only let outside to get tested.  Before the lockdown the walkway on the East side is now extended so far North as to almost reach the navy dockyards.  I can look across and see the Customs building where I spent so much time negotiating duties on things like technical service fees. The city is several orders of magnitude more wealthy than 1995, but it feels in some ways like I’ve gone back in time.  Over the years I’ve had a lot of false alarms about being, "done", with China, “for good”, but I think this time it might actually be true. It’s been a trip for sure. 

View attachment 500816

Noon at lunch. A ghost town due to lockdown.  No one gets to the West side of the city and vice-versa. 
This is amazing to be getting these reports from you. 

Elegua

Generalissimo
Anywhere you go you have to swipe your WeChat so that they can trace you. If anywhere you went had positive cases, you get quarantined. Now there are too many cases so people are quarantining at home. 

IMG_0557.jpeg

Before lockdown testing was every 48 hours or so.  To go anywhere and get in you'd have to show a healthy "health code" and a clean test that was less than 48hrs old. Getting those test could at times be a two hour wait on line. Sometimes it took longer than 48hrs to get the results back. 

IMG_0519.jpeg

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
But it is Spring, so the cherry blossoms are out.

View attachment 500909

And there is usually something interesting going down the river.  Maybe this guy is what Seeker should have been? 

View attachment 500910
Love the cherry blossoms!  What I remember from my brief stay in Shanghai a decade ago was the lack of running lights on vessels like that. Maybe one occasional red light...from a lit cigarette.

Elegua

Generalissimo
When you fly to China these days, the controls start before you leave. You need to stay in a gateway city for a week and record your vitals and take around 4 tests and on the day of your flight apply for a code from the Consulate . No code, no flight.  Most flights stop in Seoul to change crews and fuel up. You aren't allowed off the plane. Flights coming in are carefully controlled so that the number of inbound flights is managed.  When you arrive, you are asked to remain seated while the plane is checked.  A couple pax get taken for random sampling., Then you are led off the plane to check to see if your code is still valid and get tested again - nasal and throat swab.

Waiting for testing. 

77F973B0-C54D-4BA4-B644-4A53C8FD9367_1_105_c.jpeg

Then you are sorted by destination within Shanghai and put on to a bus that delivers you to a quarantine hotel determined by the government. If you are someone who likes control, this can be disconcerting.  

Waiting for the bus.

7033EDA4-B088-47F7-9B44-83BF9CF70627_1_105_c.jpeg

Elegua

Generalissimo
I lived here for three weeks without being able to leave the room. Everyday I had my temperature taken. I was tested every couple of days.  Meals were left outside my room on a table.  Three weeks of bottled water and soap were left in the room.  The cost was about $100 a day. Most do two weeks, but myself and the other non-Shanghai residents had to do an extra week since we didn't have a Shanghai address. 

447B52AC-B6D6-47BD-8126-B500FDC9DF99_1_105_c.jpeg

This was a typical dinner. Not bad tasting. 

017D7D5C-3618-4574-8DAC-FC2D8942933D_1_105_c.jpeg

When I finally could check out, I said screw this and had regular hotel send a Maybach. 

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
I lived here for three weeks without being able to leave the room. Everyday I had my temperature taken. I was tested every couple of days.  Meals were left outside my room on a table.  Three weeks of bottled water and soap were left in the room.  The cost was about $100 a day. Most do two weeks, but myself and the other non-Shanghai residents had to do an extra week since we didn't have a Shanghai address. When I finally could check out, I said screw this and had regular hotel send a Maybach.
So, how are you affected by the new, two-phase lock down just instituted?