Sprint mk1 flip from front page

JoeyG

It looks like they're just about re-righted.  I see a boat on the far side and personally know they turtle.
Having done this myself in a mkII. If the water is shallow enough and the bottom soft enough the boat will not go turtle. 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Having done this myself in a mkII. If the water is shallow enough and the bottom soft enough the boat will not go turtle. 
I thought of that after I posted, they may just have dug the mast in.  You're right.  I have been on a 27 that turtled pretty quickly, as in it never paused and know the 31 turtles quickly as well.  Hope they recovered it with minimum damage. 

JoeyG

how do you turn them over?
You set up a bridal forward and aft. Hook it to a powerful tow vessel. Pull the boat into the wind/seas stern first as fast as you can and the sterns will dig in causing the boat to flip back over. 

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
You set up a bridal forward and aft. Hook it to a powerful tow vessel. Pull the boat into the wind/seas stern first as fast as you can and the sterns will dig in causing the boat to flip back over. 
sorry I meant the first part, how do you flip one in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyG

sounds like something you could do offshore, where was that flip and what sails were up?
I did it in sarasota bay in 18kts with gusts higher, just got hit at the wrong time the wrong way. Still won the class at the regatta though. 

DaveK

Super Anarchist
I'll let Bill tell the details since it's his boat but we were racing on a very windy day.....  I have the same boat and the 2 women I had as crew had zero kite experience so I just elected to sail sans kite and make the best of it. But Bill is a really good sailor and he did otherwise and took off....This is on Lake Travis in Austin and here's a snapshot of sailflow..

IMG_2241.jpg

Chidz

Sydney
And here's a vid of the re-righting
whoa  - what happened to the rig? & who was crazy enough to swim underneath with all those stray ropes to undo the bolts of the floats? That seems a bit dangerous considering they are relatively easy righting using the recommended standard technique (as mentioned by JoeyG) ... but then I wasn't there and don't know what else was going down ...

Latest posts