SSS 2021 Corinthian Regatta

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Registration for the SSS 2021 Corinthian Race annouced this morning. The fun bay race is open to both Singlehanded and Doublehanded entries only. There will be a 150 boat entry limit. There will be no wait listing.  Start and finish will be at the GGYC X mark.

At 10:15am 95 have already registered. 55 spots remain open

Last edited by a moderator:

atnan

Alameda, CA
An update from YRA:

Due to some logistics issues with COVID, we've had to change up our new Double-Handed Series. The good news? It's still definitely happening!

The 2 SSS races, the Corinthian and Round the Rocks race, are no longer part of the series. Those 2 dates are being rescheduled and replaced with 2 new doublehanded only YRA races. We will get the new schedule of dates out as soon as possible. We're planning a kick off date of March 14th for the 1st race. Stay tuned for more info!
So the SSS Corinthians race will no longer be on 02/27, new date is TBD.

Mr Moab

Anarchist
Was disappointed to see that, but I can understand. What  I am less fond of is this idea that there is some promised event in four weeks. Would have preferred more time to align schedules 

atnan

Alameda, CA
I don't envy anyone trying to run a 150+ boat race with a shorthanded race committee. We manage with two on race committee for IYC races and 20-30 boats, so I'm impressed with what the SSS was able to do for 3BF and was planning to do for Corinthian / Round the Rocks given the constraints.

BobJ

Super Anarchist
An update from YRA:

So the SSS Corinthians race will no longer be on 02/27, new date is TBD.
The SSS Corinthian Race is still on for 2/27, currently with 164 entries.  It's just not going to be part of YRA's Doublehanded Series.

atnan

Alameda, CA
The SSS Corinthian Race is still on for 2/27, currently with 164 entries.  It's just not going to be part of YRA's Doublehanded Series.
Oh wow, my bad. I was tripped up by the wording of "those 2 dates are being rescheduled".

That's great news.

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
I'm glad the YRA is changing to do their own series.  I wrote them the minute I saw the combined race series.    If the YRA is trying to replace what would normally be "crewed" events to Doublehanded then they shouldn't be doing it on top of the SSS.    Those crewed events had separate dates to begin with and gives more opportunity to sail.   Also, for folks doing the SSS Singlehanded series it gives them a chance to Doublehand since they can't crewed race anymore either.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
this is the first year I joined the YRA and SSS concurrently. I now have a little mixed feelings with this increased mixed fleet size in the Corinthian SSS. 164 boats with even larger potential numbers, it changes the dynamics, overall safety,  let alone increased numbers one the race committee. I recognized the SSS effort to run a broad solohanded program season, and really eager to support it and plunked my money immediately down as a way to support both organizations.

considering the YRA is now running their own program and folks allowed to sail together not of the same bubble... we have to ask is that really prudent or wise to open the sailing scene to mixing bubbles? Moreover since the YRA is promoting the broad double handed series, it might be a time that they run a series of educational on line meetings to get these racers and short handed crews to make it safer for the participants and those others out there that might need to support them. Maybe it just doesn’t matter since most aren’t following federally mandated protocols anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Got a little down when flying to Long Beach today. Folks we not wearing masks at airport or on plane. Bummed me out. Most likely no one will get sick sailing together but how do we know? The protocols suggest we wear masks when we are in mixed conveyances in public and private. Considering the mutations of the virus and how much easier it moves between folks, until we get 70 percent vaccination rates, we need to follow strict protocols.

Got a little down when flying to Long Beach today. Folks we not wearing masks at airport or on plane. Bummed me out. Most likely no one will get sick sailing together but how do we know? The protocols suggest we wear masks when we are in mixed conveyances in public and private. Considering the mutations of the virus and how much easier it moves between folks, until we get 70 percent vaccination rates, we need to follow strict protocols.
really so TSA and flight crews are looking the other way now? Long Beach is trump land

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Still waiting on YRA for my PHRF cert.  I guess the committee meets on Monday.

I pitched in my application almost 3 weeks ago.  Not enough time, obviously.

Alan H

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Might be worth emailing Laura via [email protected] I was also pending for the race waiting for our 2021 cert to be issued, and she quickly got us sorted out.
I talked to Laura on the phone late last week, actually.  Apparently she wasn't able to do the rating herself, and had to send it to the committee meeting on Monday. I hope that the committee gets to mine. If they don't, then no Corinthian race for me, and it's possible that no SHF either, since the committee doesn't meet until late in the month, so I'd get put off until the late March meeting.

..which is not exactly happy-making.