Stainless Steel Jib Hanks

markwbird

SF Bay
So, my new headsail arrived and I am a little taken aback to discover that it is fitted with what appear to be stainless steel hanks. It is my understanding that hanks should be bronze so as not to wear on the head stay. Anyone out there use stainless steel hanks? Should I be concerned? Am I making too much of it?

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
So, my new headsail arrived and I am a little taken aback to discover that it is fitted with what appear to be stainless steel hanks. It is my understanding that hanks should be bronze so as not to wear on the head stay. Anyone out there use stainless steel hanks? Should I be concerned? Am I making too much of it?
Never seen 'em. Maybe plated bronze? That said, even if stainless the wear would be very, very slow...

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I had a sailmaker that used a pair of SS Wichard snap shackles at the very head of a beautiful jib he made for me. The rest were bronze. He said the load at the head was the highest but didn't saw back and forth as much in the gusts so didn't wear the 1x19 as much. That jib was pretty much bulletproof and it wasn't long before it dismasted my boat but not on account of the SS hanks.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
We put ss hanks on Alaska Eagle. One lap SoCal - HI - Seattle - SoCal & we had to replace the headstay. The two upper hanks had worn more than 1/2 way thru the front facing strands.
As always, YMMW. Hanks are really easy to replace