Starlink Anarchy

neilsf

Nevada
Back to Starlink... what are the current upfront and monthly costs for the RV version?

$599 one-time for hardware, $135 a month for connectivity.

Service can be paused and un-paused in one-month increments.

Has anyone successfully paused for multiple months and then come back and resumed service without any issues? Do you pause and unpause entirely from within the app?

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I could have sworn the web page said that the first month's service was included in the initial charge. But it wasn't. A $50 shipping and handling charge was added.
So it's $649 to get started and two weeks after it ships, they start dinging you for the monthly fee. So I'd better drag it out of the quarterberth and start using it!

neilsf

Nevada
I could have sworn the web page said that the first month's service was included in the initial charge. But it wasn't. A $50 shipping and handling charge was added.
So it's $649 to get started and two weeks after it ships, they start dinging you for the monthly fee. So I'd better drag it out of the quarterberth and start using it!
I'm super curious about your experiences.

1. Do you pause and unpause the service from within the app? (which is my guess)
2. I have seen YouTube reviews of the RV version where the service speed varies *widely*. The best reasoning I've heard is that while you get your hardware and service within days of ordering, you give up prioritized service in your area, which is based on local congestion. In actual use, the YouTube reviewer said he felt the speed variability had little noticeable impact on his workflow and streaming.
3. I presume (perhaps wrongly so) that you are placing the dish on a dock or some other little-moving surface. If you're somehow *hard mounting* the dish to a fixed surface on your boat, I'd be *very* interested in the mount and how well the dish and service work as you roll and pitch either tied up or anchored out.

Thanks in advance, Toddster.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I noticed that you can pause and unpause service from the web site - it's almost the only thing you can do there, except buy more stuff.
Haven't done so as I've only had the thing for two weeks.
Sitting in a pretty poor location in the driveway, speeds ranged from 11 to 140 Mbps. (Compared to 5 for my local ISP.) Sometimes there were complete dropouts for up to a minute, which I only really noticed when watching a high def movie. But you'd notice them if you were attempting VOIP or something.
I've actually sold my house and am in the frantic process of trying to clear it out before the end of the month, after which I'll start worrying about boat issues. Anybody need a dining room set? How about some big steel desks?

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
You get MAJOR fluctuations in speed. Sometimes I've got 200 down. Today I dropped a webex call 3 times because 1 mbps wasn't sustainable.

Right this second

Screenshot_20220623-212146_Google.jpg

neilsf

Nevada
You dropped a WebEx 3 times because 1mpb wasn't sustainable? Wow. Wonder if it's time-of-day or satellite density issues at those moments or just that much de-prioritized data flow and you're near the bottom of the pack.

Works great for surfing and emails (and maybe even streaming), but not so great for video and audio calls, it seems.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Dunno... 20 years ago, I had Hughes satellite internet and things like WebX just couldn't deal with the latency. Nor could any sort of VPN connection. Granted, Starlink has much lower latency, but how much is too much? IDK.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
It seems like using a Peplink cellular router and a relatively light data plan with Peplink WAN as its backbone would be ideal - the cell network would fill in any temporary disconnections in service if available, and you could shut down Starlink during months where you were off the boat, relying on cellular data to keep some basic connectivity going if you wanted.

I wonder if Starlink is going to get better or worse - a race between launching satellites vs adding new subscribers

neilsf

Nevada
It seems like using a Peplink cellular router and a relatively light data plan with Peplink WAN as its backbone would be ideal - the cell network would fill in any temporary disconnections in service if available, and you could shut down Starlink during months where you were off the boat, relying on cellular data to keep some basic connectivity going if you wanted.

I wonder if Starlink is going to get better or worse - a race between launching satellites vs adding new subscribers

I've always thought I'd have to have some sort of integrated router that could route traffic and data over the three-way of local Cell service, local Wifi, and something like Starlink. The router would fall down in roughly that order and then cascade back up if a faster link became robust again.

Having said that, I think the secret weapon of Starlink *is to become a cell phone network*. So in time, I suspect the availability of a fast signal with lots of subscribers will get solved. In the mean time? lower speeds and less reliable connections. We are guinea pigs out here on the fringe, after all.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
I've always thought I'd have to have some sort of integrated router that could route traffic and data over the three-way of local Cell service, local Wifi, and something like Starlink. The router would fall down in roughly that order and then cascade back up if a faster link became robust again.

Having said that, I think the secret weapon of Starlink *is to become a cell phone network*. So in time, I suspect the availability of a fast signal with lots of subscribers will get solved. In the mean time? lower speeds and less reliable connections. We are guinea pigs out here on the fringe, after all.
Yeah with Starlink now integrating the WiFi router it seems like it'd be easy for them to boost system performance in populated areas at low cost and take load off the sats by integrating a cellular antenna/modem & cheap data plan into their platform rather than forcing users to do it in a less efficient manner.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Is there an official opinion on whether the performance issues are dependent on load or dependent on sat visibility? I would think visibility is the bigger issue (trees, terrain, buildings) as there are nowhere near the number of sats necessary for good overhead coverage. The laser links are also lacking.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I belive that at least the longer dropouts that I experienced were due to satellite moving behind an obstruction. A red bar flashes on the screen (of the app) that says "obstruction detected."
All flavors of internet slooow waaay dooowwwwn when skool lets out and all the brats log onto their... whatever it is that they do.

neilsf

Nevada
I belive that at least the longer dropouts that I experienced were due to satellite moving behind an obstruction. A red bar flashes on the screen (of the app) that says "obstruction detected."
All flavors of internet slooow waaay dooowwwwn when skool lets out and all the brats log onto their... whatever it is that they do.

That's streaming and video chatting clogging up the bandwidth. But it's summer. There's no school, for most. Do you mean in the past, before school got out? Or do you mean now?

Latest posts