Starlink Anarchy

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I just got billed for the same old (high) price. I think the price reductions were in places other than the US.

Good grief! Before Starlink, (and moving on board) I had a microwave relay that was about 5/0.5. One could watch movies with it and (eventually) transmit large files. The local DSL was so oversubscribed that on days that it worked at all, it was around 15kbs. Like 1990's dial-up. Centurylink referred to this as "broadband," and charged accordingly.

Currently in a mast-dense part of a marina and the signal is significantly degraded, but still acceptable most of the time. (Can't always stream Dolby Vision 4K without dropouts)
We have a decent LTE signal here when there are no tourists, i always did video meetings via tethering until getting fiber. On big weekends nothing works well here - a resort town problem when your population goes from 1333 to 7500 overnight

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
We have a decent LTE signal here when there are no tourists, i always did video meetings via tethering until getting fiber. On big weekends nothing works well here - a resort town problem when your population goes from 1333 to 7500 overnight
How would this affect Starlink? Are tourists showing up with antennas?

mckenzie.keith

Aspiring Anarchist
Santa Cruz
Reports that starlink is now blocking use on vehicles in motion. May not affect slow cruisers because they say the cutoff speed is around 10 or 12 mph.

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
They do offer a maritime package & someone on a facebook group posted the price. Off the top of my head, I think the subscription was $5000 a month, with $10k hardware costs.

Too expensive for your average cruiser, but pocket change to a millionaire who wants good internet on board his floating toy.
I think it will find a good niche on offshore installation and support vessels, especially working on offshore windfarms.
I just got back from a trip offshore in Taiwan & the internet was appalling, makes doing the job a pain, but it all means the technicians are unhappy, 10 grand to shut them up would be a price easily worth paying.

mckenzie.keith

Aspiring Anarchist
Santa Cruz
They do offer a maritime package & someone on a facebook group posted the price. Off the top of my head, I think the subscription was $5000 a month, with $10k hardware costs.

Too expensive for your average cruiser, but pocket change to a millionaire who wants good internet on board his floating toy.
I think it will find a good niche on offshore installation and support vessels, especially working on offshore windfarms.
I just got back from a trip offshore in Taiwan & the internet was appalling, makes doing the job a pain, but it all means the technicians are unhappy, 10 grand to shut them up would be a price easily worth paying.
Yeah that is obviously a non-starter to most people. Even millionaires. I think for 5k to be pocket change you would have to be a millionaire many times over. If you include the value of the home, quite a few people I know are millionaires, and not one of them would pay 5k per month for internet on a boat.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
Yeah that is obviously a non-starter to most people. Even millionaires. I think for 5k to be pocket change you would have to be a millionaire many times over. If you include the value of the home, quite a few people I know are millionaires, and not one of them would pay 5k per month for internet on a boat.B
Being a millionaire ain't what it used to be, 'specially if you count house value...

The Starlink maritime version seems geared to superyachts, cruise ships & commercial vessels, not recreational users.

I've also heard that "in motion" means over 10kts, so it may not impact those of us not cruising Pogos or Gunboats. Anyone with experience of it actually not working anymore? I've heard from several folks that haven't experienced any change in service.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Starlink speeds have been rather crap the last few days, during which time one or two cruise ships have been in port all day. Seems to improve at night, after they leave. Coincidence? Not enough data tell.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Again today, Starlink got very slow when one of those same cruise ships was in port. Totally crapped out when they were preparing to depart. I wonder if they're hogging all the bandwidth in the cell? Or maybe it's interference from their radar?
FWIW, my installation on the Tower Of Power. First I tried to get Dishy below the radar beam, but it couldn't really duck that low in operation and neither one of them was happy. Dishy got a little drunk when the radar was on and slewed around to the totally wrong part of the sky. And threw a big shadow on the radar. So I got a taller mount and lofted it up above the radar beam. Looks a little dorkier, but both devices are happy(er).
IMG_3987.jpeg

accnick

Super Anarchist
Again today, Starlink got very slow when one of those same cruise ships was in port. Totally crapped out when they were preparing to depart. I wonder if they're hogging all the bandwidth in the cell? Or maybe it's interference from their radar?
FWIW, my installation on the Tower Of Power. First I tried to get Dishy below the radar beam, but it couldn't really duck that low in operation and neither one of them was happy. Dishy got a little drunk when the radar was on and slewed around to the totally wrong part of the sky. And threw a big shadow on the radar. So I got a taller mount and lofted it up above the radar beam. Looks a little dorkier, but both devices are happy(er).
View attachment 545966
Looking at the idling power consumption, it seems too high to just leave it on. Do you just turn it on when you want to use it?

Is that the "RV" configuration and contract?

Do your solar panels keep up with the additional electrical load?

Sorry for the questions. I'm just starting to look at this for my boat. The problem in Maine may be that many of the best anchorages are surrounded by tall trees.

monkphunk

Starlink might make sense for Maine. On other parts of the east coast I'm fine with LTE/5G but it can be slow even with a strong cellular connection in Maine. I think the problem is the uplink from the tower to the Internet. If the nearest tower is on the mainland/in a decent sized town, it is fast, but good luck if the nearest tower is on an island.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
At the moment, I am only turning on AC driven stuff when I want to use it. Starlink on standby doesn't seem to use much power but my inverter (which has its own thread over in Fix It) is sucking way too much power on its own. I haven't sorted out the relatively minor usage of other electronics in standby. (Maybe 2 amps total, I think.)

Before somebody else says it, of course the way this is set up, the panels get shaded early in the morning, (depending on wind direction) when they're not producing much anyway. It's all a compromise.

dreamingwet

I've been using it non stop for the house for over a week. Speeds are much like you said toddster. Though mine seems to run between 15 to 30 most of the time.

Starlink is struggling for bandwidth. This is evidenced by worldwide combined speed tests steadily dropping. A year ago they were near 100 but now they average below 80. They are not launching a significant number of new satellites, and the new V2 satellites cannot be launched without a new launch vehicle that isn't currently in service.

Starlink just went for a new round of capital, and the "RV" launch was timed to increase their subscriber numbers just in time for that.
the added problem is that their satellites are falling and malfunctioning at a much bigger rate than expected..... if you don't believe me google it.

dreamingwet

infrastructure bill funding is helping fiber to reach far and wide at 50-70$/month (and they pay for 150 feet of underground cable, here). starlink ain't competitive at 120$ and $599. They just cut those prices in half in the US too.

True story: We signed up for Starlink when we moved to rural vermont last june. We were on slow-as-shit DSL - the only option here - until It arrived in August. Once I got it on the top of the highest gable, it worked great. Sure, it's pricey but 200MB/50MB is almost civilized compared to the nearly unlivable 22/0.5 we were on before. No brainer.

The day after I nearly killed myself on our steep roof, Fidium Fiber was installed at my neighbor's house a mile away. Sure enough, they ran it to the pole on my dirt road. WE called, they came, they installed. We needed an extra 180 feet at 60 cents per foot. 500 MB/200 MB now for 60$ per month for two years.

I got the Starlink down and boxed and returned a few days before the return period ended. I think they charged 100$ return fee.

Lot of running around, but happy with the outcome. Would have been happy with the starlink too.
There is no way you get 500MBps with Starlink. 500MBps=4Gbps.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
FWIW, last weeks speed problems seemed to have more to do with the router function than the satellite download speeds. (Some devices got fast data, some got slow…) Internet search suggests that many people have better luck using third-party routers instead of Starlink internal. :unsure: I left it off overnight, updated everyone’s software, and things are back to normal.
For a certain definition of “normal”…

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Aaaand it's here. Starlink in motion. Larger "flat" (fixed?) wide-angle antenna. Actually, this would have fit much better on my Tower Of Power as the standard Dishy would fight with the radar when it rotated up. Until I put it up on an extra long pole as in post#111.
1667265562091.png

Guess I'll stick with Dishy though, as long as it lasts.

Latest posts