starting 18 footers

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
These boats really can bite :D
You must have your head so far up your arse if you think what you sail now is in any way like the 18's of that era or any way as hard to sail.

28ft or more wings, 44ft alloy big rigs compared to 14ft wings and 33ft rigs
I am not really sure what I have done to deserve such an outburst. Where have I implied anything different? I do know the difference between the boats in the video and what we sail now as I have have sailed them (my first ride in an 18 was before there were even wings on them - 1974 :p ). But I can tell you this much. The injuries picked up sailing the GP boats might have hurt more, but when you get to my age the injuries I pick up sailing the current 18's hurt/last longer :D

Last edited by a moderator:
"I am not really sure what I have done to deserve such an outburst."

Errr...

Sailing anarchy, not

Lets spend all day posting useless crap implying how good we are because we sail an 18 and a moth anarchy

patos67

I was lucky enough to get my first taste of 18 sailing yesterday thanks to one of the great guys down at the squaddy. It was a good day, the wind was pretty light but enough to get all 3 of us on the wire and moving along nicely. They are awesome boats and its hard to imagine them ever going slow with all that power!

Can't wait til I can get a ride on one again, hopefully with a bit more wind.

If you ever get the chance to give one a go, jump on it :D
Great to hear your story about your first ride on an 18, more than happy to have you on our skiff for the day, shame we didnt get some pics of you on the wire

Im very pleased your experience was a positive one, and the weather gods were on your side. Another ride day wont be too far away, will let you know

To stormtrooper or any other hopefull 18 sailors, the squaddy is planning to have one or two spare skiffs for next summer to help build fleet numbers. IMHO it would be very hard to get a start at the League without gaining some 18 experience, and the guys at the squaddy are ready to help people gain that experience

Yes the boats are a bit older and slower than the League guys, but you have to start somewhere

PM me if you would like more info

Stop worrying too much about getting on a boat next season.
Do what you want for the next few months and about august start your search again then, when people are most likely looking for crew.

In the meantime, go sailing.
Agreed, I'll be giving Woody a call when I get back from San Fran..

Hear that the water is bloody cold but the sailing is totally Sweeeet!!

Can't wait to get over there.. (summer is an added bonus for going!!)

The Flying Sqaudron is also a good place to go and learn, I started up there in the 2nd 1/2 of last season/

Older Boats but same principle as the league (and NO i am not talking about the historic 18's (Smart arse

mother f-*ckers..)).

I was lucky enough to get my first taste of 18 sailing yesterday thanks to one of the great guys down at the squaddy. It was a good day, the wind was pretty light but enough to get all 3 of us on the wire and moving along nicely. They are awesome boats and its hard to imagine them ever going slow with all that power!

Great to hear your story about your first ride on an 18, more than happy to have you on our skiff for the day, shame we didnt get some pics of you on the wire

Im very pleased your experience was a positive one, and the weather gods were on your side. Another ride day wont be too far away, will let you know

To stormtrooper or any other hopefull 18 sailors, the squaddy is planning to have one or two spare skiffs for next summer to help build fleet numbers. IMHO it would be very hard to get a start at the League without gaining some 18 experience, and the guys at the squaddy are ready to help people gain that experience

Yes the boats are a bit older and slower than the League guys, but you have to start somewhere

Hey Patos, didn't read this far down the page but said the same thing...

Not totally sure of my plans next season,the most I know at this stage is

that I will be on the front of an 18.....

BMGS_wing.JPG

MHBryce

interested josh?

Squevil

N.S.W, Aus
im interested to give it a go but i think im sailing 18's at the league next season thanks to simonN
Good stuff, sailing at the 18' league is awesome fun, great group of people and a great social side to things as well

So who'll be coming to San Francisco??And who'll go to Carnac??
If anyone would like to hand over a few grand to help us, we'll go to both events... didn't think so ;)

PBO

Super Anarchist

Dolly had his moments didn't he...I can remember seeing an old video of Charlie Diekman falling between the boat & wing & smashing his snoz on the way through. Lots of claret all over the white Hanimex hull

Latest posts