STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS>>>>>

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Rather humorous.
In what way?

It shows more of that great intelligence Obama is known for...you know, speaking to the people.....

http://comprehension.prsa.org/?p=3335

"Help your audience

What grade level should you aim for?

If you’re writing for a broad audience, then you might consider starting with eighth grade on the Flesch-Kincaid test. Ratchet up or down from there depending on your audience members’ sophistication."

"Worried about talking down to your audience? Don’t be. Most audience members are tired, busy and overwhelmed with information. They’ll be happy to peruse your copy in a more digestible package.Keep in mind that the front page of The Wall Street Journal is written at the ninth-grade level. This piece, which I wrote for a highly literate audience — you! — weighs in at the seventh month of the seventh-grade level, according to Flesch-Kincaid.

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
What is kind of humorous is that Rumbulls gets his news from Nutters which don't bother to point out that this trend has been going on for many years (surprisingly the trend was bumped slightly by George W. Bush) and sadly has more to do with the average American's education and attention span than anything else.

Of course if he had bothered to read the original article he would know that

So quick to insult... I'll take it as you miss me.

Hope all is well, aside from your humor. ;)

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Probably why all the Republicans are up in arms over it.
laugh.gif

Yep, they actually "got" what he was talking about - and so did some of their redneck constituents. That's gonna cause some problems.

HOW

Anarchist
Last edited by a moderator:

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
What is kind of humorous is that Rumbulls gets his news from Nutters which don't bother to point out that this trend has been going on for many years (surprisingly the trend was bumped slightly by George W. Bush) and sadly has more to do with the average American's education and attention span than anything else.

All is well here, hope it is there for you too. Not intending to insult just point out the Right Wing Noise Machine ignores facts to score points. Check out the comments in your link if you don't believe me. Ignorance rocks.

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City

All is well here, hope it is there for you too. Not intending to insult just point out the Right Wing Noise Machine ignores facts to score points. Check out the comments in your link if you don't believe me. Ignorance rocks.

...... and isn't that humorous? Personally, I found it funny on a number of levels.

plchacker

Super Anarchist
Mobile, AL
Rather humorous.
In what way?

It shows more of that great intelligence Obama is known for...you know, speaking to the people.....

http://comprehension.prsa.org/?p=3335

"Help your audience

What grade level should you aim for?

If you’re writing for a broad audience, then you might consider starting with eighth grade on the Flesch-Kincaid test. Ratchet up or down from there depending on your audience members’ sophistication."

"Worried about talking down to your audience? Don’t be. Most audience members are tired, busy and overwhelmed with information. They’ll be happy to peruse your copy in a more digestible package.Keep in mind that the front page of The Wall Street Journal is written at the ninth-grade level. This piece, which I wrote for a highly literate audience — you! — weighs in at the seventh month of the seventh-grade level, according to Flesch-Kincaid.
Damn this is a first. I agree with you. One key thing about making a speech is making sure that the speech is understood. The 8th grade level is a very good target.

HOW

Anarchist
For comparison, I ran the text of Rush Limbaugh speaking on his radio show in the online Flesch-Kincaid reading level calculator. The results show that Rush is talking at a 7th grade level.

http://www.standards-schmandards.com/exhibits/rix/index.php and http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/01/23/reluctantly_my_advice_for_rick_santorum

What we know from this is that Rush Limbaugh's audience is 1 year behind Obama's audience in reading comprehension. I always thought that people had to be rather dumb to listen to that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
Damn this is a first. I agree with you. One key thing about making a speech is making sure that the speech is understood. The 8th grade level is a very good target.
The only time I lose interest is when they trott out the stick figures!

"This is you - this is your competition. He advertises in the Yellow Pages. This is your customer going to his store".....

When the YP sales dude pulled that one on us (after driving up in a new BMW 5 series), we had enough.

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.
For comparison, I ran the text of Rush Limbaugh speaking on his radio show in the online Flesch-Kincaid reading level calculator. The results show that Rush is talking at a 7th grade level.
That's funny! I just checked some more of his transcripts and got 7 also.......

wink.gif

I wonder what Beck would come in at?

Let me check....

Wow - Beck comes in at 6th Grade. I think we are onto something here!