Steve and Dave Clarks Unidentified Foiling Object

I had to laugh reading the exchanges about recovering from windward semi-capsizes. Basically, if you want to get out of a windward roll without swimming, you have to submit to a few moments of waterboarding. Its unpleasant, but as previous administrations have pointed out, it doesn't kill you, and in some cases yields positive results. However, others have demonstrated that it is not permitted by the Geneva convention, so no one can MAKE you recover from a windward roll this way, it has to be voluntary, assuming you are sailing in the free world.

Note for our more uptight SA readers---this is totally tongue in cheek. However, if you recover from a severe windward roll, I can guarantee that your sinuses will be thoroughly cleansed. Spoken from experience.

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
your sinuses will be thoroughly cleansed. Spoken from experience

Word! Half of the "this one weird trick to cure what ails you" pseudo-viral videos out there have a sinus rinse that is demonstrably inferior to the UFO windward roll. Will anyone tell the Irish times?

1658170082068.png

Steve Clark

Super Anarchist
The technique of avoiding a windward capsize by leaning back and letting youir body float was pioneered by Carl Van Dyne of the Finn class in the 1960s. It had a cute name but that alludes me at the moment It isn't Tea Bagging and it isn't San Francisco Roll, both of which are also core fast boat skills.
SHC

Nantucket Guy

I bought a storm sail (6.0 sq meter) back in 2019 from Fulcrum thinking that some day my kids would sail with it. Well, they are still learning how to sail a Rocket. So, I've never used the storm sail until yesterday. Winds were clean ranging 23-28 knots (gusting to 33). I figured that there wasn't a better day to try it. I rigged the sail for "baseline" wind speeds (See Rigging Table), but set the foils for full negative and flew at 3/4 height due to heavy chop.

My UFO flew with grace and control with the storm sail. I HIGHLY recommend buying one if you occasionally see strong winds in your area. It makes sailing in the 20 - 30 knots easy and enjoyable.

Does anyone have experience at the high end with the storm? I wondering about its wind range. Since the kinetic energy is relative to wind velocity squared, I assume that the storm range is far less than the standard sail. I'm guessing it would top-out at 40 knots.

@DRC: How many square meters is the standard sail?

Last edited:

LarryO

Seattle
Anyone able to tell me what size the cap nut is for the u-bolt at the end of the boom? Noticed while sailing yesterday that one was missing! (Picture shows the loop (U) from the top and came from a crop of a picture in Unofficial Guide)

EndOfBoomFitting.JPG

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
I bought a storm sail (6.0 sq meter) back in 2019 from Fulcrum thinking that some day my kids would sail with it. Well, they are still learning how to sail a Rocket. So, I've never used the storm sail until yesterday. Winds were clean ranging 23-28 knots (gusting to 33). I figured that there wasn't a better day to try it. I rigged the sail for "baseline" wind speeds (See Rigging Table), but set the foils for full negative and flew at 3/4 height due to heavy chop.

My UFO flew with grace and control with the storm sail. I HIGHLY recommend buying one if you occasionally see strong winds in your area. It makes sailing in the 20 - 30 knots easy and enjoyable.

Does anyone have experience at the high end with the storm? I wondering about its wind range. Since the kinetic energy is relative to wind velocity squared, I assume that the storm range is far less than the standard sail. I'm guessing it would top-out at 40 knots.

Standard is 7.8 and has a lot more of the area concentrated in the head where it contributes to heeling moment. I've used the storm sail or "pinhead" in around 40. When it hit 40 we had to go home because it got legitimately terribly sketchy to be out there, but the high 20's and low 30's are relatively tame with it in play. It was a good add to the golf bag for people who want more sailing days. It was either that or build a huge sail for super light air and that's not as effective as making a small sail for huge air. Retails at a modest $650.

DRC

Anyone able to tell me what size the cap nut is for the u-bolt at the end of the boom? Noticed while sailing yesterday that one was missing! (Picture shows the loop (U) from the top and came from a crop of a picture in Unofficial Guide)

View attachment 529453
1/4 20. I lost both of my nuts last week, which caused me to loose my sheet! Luckily they are easily replaceable.

ROAD TRIP!!!
Hey, All.
I'm hitting the road to do some foiling with a few of the guys in Bristol 5-7 August. We'll be launching out of the Herreshoff Museum. If you want to join and also use the beach at the museum, you'll need to sign up for a museum membership ($40). If you are on the east coast somewhere between Bristol and Savannah, I might be able to tack on a stopover on my way back home. Please reach out to me if you want to meet up or if you have any questions about the Bristol meet-up.
Cheers!

aeiro

After basically not sailing my UFO for a year I've come to the realization that it's not compatible with my lifestyle. Since I'm planning on moving this year I'm hoping to sell it. I haven't sold a boat before so I was hoping people had tips on where to list/how to sell that are relatively low hassle, or if someone local to me (Toronto, ON) is interested in a lightly used UFO please let me know.

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
After basically not sailing my UFO for a year I've come to the realization that it's not compatible with my lifestyle. Since I'm planning on moving this year I'm hoping to sell it. I haven't sold a boat before so I was hoping people had tips on where to list/how to sell that are relatively low hassle, or if someone local to me (Toronto, ON) is interested in a lightly used UFO please let me know.
Reach out to Quiet Waters Sailboats in Waubaushene. They sell (and enjoy) UFOs and can probably move it for you in short order on consignment.

DRC

aeiro

Reach out to Quiet Waters Sailboats in Waubaushene. They sell (and enjoy) UFOs and can probably move it for you in short order on consignment.

DRC
Thanks! I had already reached out to them but they were pessimistic it would be sold before the winter since it's so late in the season. It's also logistically challenging to get there without a car and they told me they can't pick it up from Toronto. I was hoping to sell it in place somehow because finding a uhaul or other way to move it is a pretty big hassle in the summer months too, but maybe it'll be a good backup if I can't figure out any other options.

Hi all,
Finally got delivery of my UFO after some logistical challenges and been out in it a few times.
Since I have little previous sailing experience reading this forum has been discovering a new world and learning a lot of new sailing-words and expressions.

Wanted to thank for all the tips and tricks, the Unofficial UFO owner's guide, Kelly's educational videos, ... (y)

Gives a good base to start from and I feel I know what to aim for when trying to get some foiling skills.

Short clip from yesterday

Johan

LarryO

Seattle

What about a larger sail for light winds? Anyone tried one or had one made? Is there physically room for a larger one based on the closed end boom that would limit the size?

SAVE THE DATE: 9-12 March 2023

Early Spring Foiling Rally (ESFoR 23) hosted by the Savannah Yacht Club

Hey, Y'all!
I've been working on getting something like this set up, and I finally have enough momentum to announce this event. While the schedule below is subject to change between now and then (perhaps dramatically), here's what I can tell you that you can expect:
  • Flat water.
  • Moderate air and water temps.
  • Dock launching from a floating dock.
  • Secure overnight parking of your boat within feet of the water, and room to stow a trailer on the grounds if needed.
  • Up to three chase/support RHIBs for on-water gear, food and water, coaching, and swap-out of sailors.
  • Full access for you and your travel companions to all Savannah Yacht Club amenities including pool, tennis courts, dining. Plus, SYC Sunfish will be available for use in case you or your travel mates want to get out on the water but don’t want to foil.
  • Catered breakfast and lunches at water’s edge (or on the water if you don’t want to give up foiling time).
  • In the event of inclement weather, or you just want a break from foiling, we’ve got a vibrant city with lots of activities and a good food scene just 15 minutes away.

The schedule below is notional only, just to show what we could do. We will of course tailor events to whatever the group wants to do. If it’s just high-fives as we rage back and forth on beam reaches, so be it. If we want to race, we’ve got marks and experienced officials standing by to set up a course. If it’s focused on just getting folks on foils for the first time, fantastic! Bottom line: this will be whatever we want it to be, but we'll do it with top-notch support and facilities.

In that regard, you can greatly help my planning by completing this short questionnaire if you think you might make it to Savannah for this event. It doesn’t commit you to the event — I realize plans change and you ultimately may not be able to make it — but having a rough idea of numbers, including your travel companions helps me with some catering and other logistics decisions. There will be an official registration later, probably a few months in advance, during which we’ll also collect some money.

Please reach out to me if you have any questions or suggestions. Please mark your calendars accordingly, and feel free to forward this information (including the questionnaire) to any UFOers who may not be on this forum. I’m not well equipped in the social media realm, so would appreciate any help in spreading the word.

Working ESFoR Sched.jpg

In the meantime, so nice to be back on the water after some unscheduled upgrades…

Last edited:

Hiking Strap Update​

My rigger is just back in the shop working 1/2 days. He's starting today on the straps. I hope to have three pairs in hand before I start the drive up north to Bristol. If that works out, I'll be able to hand deliver to the guys up there. Then, the rest will hopefully be done by the time I get back, around 9 August, with shipments going out to the remainder soon thereafter.

Cheers,
Kelly

ROAD TRIP!!!
Hey, All.
I'm hitting the road to do some foiling with a few of the guys in Bristol 5-7 August. We'll be launching out of the Herreshoff Museum. If you want to join and also use the beach at the museum, you'll need to sign up for a museum membership ($40). If you are on the east coast somewhere between Bristol and Savannah, I might be able to tack on a stopover on my way back home. Please reach out to me if you want to meet up or if you have any questions about the Bristol meet-up.
Cheers!
1D249BD0-8020-4665-B977-AFDAB23D273F.jpeg

GraniteGuy

What knot should be used to tie the rings to each end of the shroud? I took one ring off to adjust the length of the shroud and didn't look carefully to see what knot I was untying. A buntline hitch would certainly be secure but I doubt I'd ever be able to untie it, and I want to be sure I can do that.

LarryO

Seattle
Kelly, is that blue masking tape on the leading edges? I presume to protect against bug splatter or other minor road hazards?