Steve and Dave Clarks Unidentified Foiling Object

duwke

Texas
If he kinda bumped me ahead a little bit, we could have four boats.. :)

True North, fantastic news.  I hope to see you there.

TJV

Holland
Well, got an email from Dave that my boat is out of the mold, so things are progressing fast now.

Hope to receive it soon so I can give it a try before the real bad weather sets in overhere.

I'll let you all know how the first UFO  in Holland ( I think ) will fare.

Lot's of grain overhere so I hope it can do crop circles as well.

treef

What happened to the two boats out of Southport?
We are bummed but a schedule conflict came up and we cannot make it to the HPDO.

#8 is being sailed fairly frequently.  I can stay up on the foils and look around before swimming again, so that's progress I guess.  It's gotten easy to pop the boat out of the water and fly.  Not so easy to go in a straight line and stay up in the air!  The learning curve remains on a steep upward (mostly) trajectory, interrupted by the occasional crash.  I turtled the boat for the first time, in front of a couple of guys fishing, who I am quite sure were bemused by the sight of me flailing around, righting this odd-looking craft.  It looks really weird when it is upside down.  I also have attempted foiling gybes... unsuccessfully so far.

It has been great fun to learn and after the big boat gets put away shortly, I look forward to more time on the UFO which I will continue to sail through October and maybe November.

Cheers,

Treef

wpbeardsley

Similar story on my end - lack of time presently but hoping to sail it more this fall.  I also have to pull out of the HPR unfortunately - got an offer I couldn't refuse to crew for a friend at Championship of Champions the same weekend in Oyster Bay.  There will be a lot more chances to sail and race the UFO I hope...not as many chances for CofC unless I start sailing a bit faster or have friends who qualify in a year where the boat is one where it makes sense for me to crew.  Anyhow, excited to see operations ramping up in RI.  

We are bummed but a schedule conflict came up and we cannot make it to the HPDO ...

I look forward to more time on the UFO which I will continue to sail through October and maybe November.

Similar story on my end - lack of time presently but hoping to sail it more this fall ...  

Anyhow, excited to see operations ramping up in RI.  
Rumor has it there will be UFO Intergalactic Championship this November in Miami as part of Foiling Week.  According to Luca Rizzotti, the dates for Foiling Week are November 16th to 19th.

I'm making a trailer to carry 4 UFOs and a 5th car-top ... would anyone else want there boat brought down to Miami? (from the East Coast)

Last edited by a moderator:

Merde2

Concerning intergalactics at TFW, I'm waiting to see what the entry fees will look like. The ones for newport were $250-300.
And also I don't think that you'll get a good turnout in FL in November.

I think that there may be discussions during Rye concerning next years calendar and events.

Last edited by a moderator:

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
Further rumor is that Luca is considering rescheduling The Foil Week into March. Irma kind of put a damper on fall and early winter activities in South Florida.

SHC
Yep, we got through, but most/all of the Coconut Grove sailing clubs and marinas got wrecked. I keep some boats at the US Olympics Sailing Center -- gorgeous facility! -- and it was carnage there. My son sails at CGSC, also messed up. Everyone's rushing to rebuild & fix but it'll take some time...

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Yep, we got through, but most/all of the Coconut Grove sailing clubs and marinas got wrecked. I keep some boats at the US Olympics Sailing Center -- gorgeous facility! -- and it was carnage there. My son sails at CGSC, also messed up. Everyone's rushing to rebuild & fix but it'll take some time...
I expect the delay will only result in higher turnout for the UFO fleet at the event

Randy

I plan on ordering a UFO in January but have a question as to what to wear on one of these boats. Don't mean to get off course in the thread but figure this will be the right people to ask. People who sail them and are dinghy sailors in general. 

I have zero experience with wet suits or dry suits and would like to know which would be more appropriate for some cool weather sailing on a boat I am sure to be falling off of fairly regularly as I learn how to sail it? Thanks for any advice and apologies if this was the wrong place to ask.

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
I plan on ordering a UFO in January but have a question as to what to wear on one of these boats. Don't mean to get off course in the thread but figure this will be the right people to ask. People who sail them and are dinghy sailors in general. 

I have zero experience with wet suits or dry suits and would like to know which would be more appropriate for some cool weather sailing on a boat I am sure to be falling off of fairly regularly as I learn how to sail it? Thanks for any advice and apologies if this was the wrong place to ask.
What temp is your air and water in January?

Randy

I really plan on using the suit the following fall and I am going to guess the water temp will be in the 50's. Can't seem to find a temp chart for the lake. But the overnight temp doesn't go below 55 or so til later in the year.  

I really plan on using the suit the following fall and I am going to guess the water temp will be in the 50's. Can't seem to find a temp chart for the lake. But the overnight temp doesn't go below 55 or so til later in the year.  
what lake/where do you live?  it depends a lot.

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
"There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing."
-Norwegian Proverb

I can jump in here on the topic of cold weather foiling gear, as I know a few things on the topic.

Chilly Weather: Full length 5mm wetsuit. DO NOT use conventional dinghy boots. They don't work well at all with the hiking straps. Slippers like these https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronstan--men-s-superflex-dinghy-sailing-boots--11227188?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%20-%20Vendors-_-11227188&product_id=11227188&adpos=1o2&creative=108421561084&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9afOBRDWARIsAJW4nvzbViaqGNrtF_ZvbKxUZ2JqsiiCuq8JbYFArrtI7u3w49p0Yhb-djIaAqPNEALw_wcB are far better.

Frostbiting: I've been frostbiting the boat for two years now and am quite proud of how the boat is safe enough to even allow consideration of foiling frostbiting. I wouldn't dare do it in any other foiling or high performance boat. Here's the trick. Sometimes you'll get dunked and the water is going to be REALLY cold. Combat this by being so unspeakably hot that cold water is a welcome relief. 

Here's what you need-
1.That same 5mm full length wetsuit (which means with sleeves). I wear a Musto Foiling Thermohot Impact wetsuit, to be precise.
2.Neoprene socks inside the drysuit- I use Neosock socks, which I've had for something like a decade with seemingly zero wear https://www.seirus.com/neosock-6871.html
3.Full blown drysuit- I use a Gul Code Zero, I think. I have virtually no opinions one way or the other on the different qualities of drysuits. Just stay away from sharp objects while wearing them.
4.The same pair of Ronstan slippers over the drysuit
5. Neoprene gloves. I use Glacier Gloves http://www.glacierglove.com/perfect-curve-glove/
6. HAT! Wind chill on a wet skull will give you brainfreeze from the outside, which feels awful and sucks the BTUs right out of you.
7. If it's really cold, throw an extra neoprene shirt on under the drysuit, tripling the protection of your core. Note: this will sacrifice some extra agility.

I fully intend to continue frostbiting by UFO for a third year here in Bristol a few blocks from the Fulcrum plant. Hopefully, this year I'll get to race some other UFOs throughout.  

DRC

Randy

Sounds like from the questions and comments that I should be looking at wetsuits for the conditions here. Think I will go with a 5/4/3 mm to start with because I dislike being cold. Guess I should also have a 3 mm for the warmer months. Thanks.

Mostly sail my Windrider 17 in the summer but will have to brave the cooler months because we get better winds then for the UFO. 

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: