Sticker placement on hull for slings

Windward

Super Anarchist
Ok.  Some debate here.  Do the stickers indicating where the lifting slings get placed on the hull go aft of where the slings get placed?  Or exactly where the slings go (so covering the sticker)

mgs

canoeman
maine
Covering the sticker is what I’ve seen, but I can see this getting varied answers. Who put the stickers there, a builder or a boatyard?

Ishmael

Fuctifino
You could mess with them and have the stickers in different positions on different sides. Move them around when they aren't looking...

Windward

Super Anarchist
Yard wanted to put them aft of the straps...  I said "really?"   They said yup.

I pulled them off, but would like to to have them there really.  

Would seem trivial, but there are bits down there that I'd rather not suffer abuse or slippage that wasn't self inflicted..   (ha ha...)

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
Factory installed the slings stickers.  

Yard that installed my electronics put the thru  hull for the knotmeter in line with the stickers.  Broke the paddle wheel the first time the boat was hauled.  Moved the stickers about 8”.

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
I'm leery of a yard that would need stickers to place the slings.  My boat has none and I asked the TravelLift operator how he knew where to sling  and he said he'd hauled my boat design dozens of times in the last thirty years.  He also said if a really oddball boat shows up they'll have the new hand put on a mask and check things out prior to hauling.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I find it hard to believe that anyone would position slings anywhere other than where the sticker indicates.

If it says "sling" then it means "put the sling here".

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
When I worked in a boatyard we put the stickers on the edge of the deck not on the topsides.  Center of the sling at the sticker.

If a boat did not have stickers we would apply them in the spring at launch. That way we knew that we were clear of the prop and keel; and best of all the boat would go right into the cradle with no drama at haulout.

Last edited by a moderator:

PirateDave

Yard that installed my electronics put the thru  hull for the knotmeter in line with the stickers.  Broke the paddle wheel the first time the boat was hauled.  Moved the stickers about 8”.

Yup, Worked in a yard hauling for a couple of years.  Not many Mensa candidates working in them, but this one is just common sense

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
don't put your sticker less than a sling's width from your saildrive is what i've learnt from this thread.

Latest posts